Bringing a golf buggy to Portugal

Hi Guys,

does anyone know how we can bring a golf buggy into Portugal? It's an electric vehicle and not licensed because because its basically a recreational vehicle. We thought the consulate would be able to give us a certificate for it but we are having some issues. Does anyone know any other way to bring it over?

Put it on a trailer and bring it yourself over from the UK or get a removal firm to bring it over. The consulate won't be able to help you, that's not their job. 

@SimCityAT

But we were told that since its a personal belonging, we can bring it over without needing to pay any sort of tax on it. The customs agent needs to declare it at customs in order to get this tax exemption. And apparently for that we need the baggage certificate from the consulate

@taylene

Google "customs declaration form uk to eu"

You can bring a golf buggy over but as it's not a road vehicle then not legal to be driven on public roads etc. You probably have to remove any batteries before shipping or even towing on a trailer via car ferry as there are definitely regulations about about shipping their batteries such as  -

lithium batteries are classified as Class 9 dangerous goods, while other types of batteries can fall into other classes of dangerous goods. This means they are subject to regulations ........................etc.   

You can bring a golf buggy over but as it's not a road vehicle then not legal to be driven on public roads etc. You probably have to remove any batteries before shipping or even towing on a trailer via car ferry as there are definitely regulations about about shipping their batteries such as  -
lithium batteries are classified as Class 9 dangerous goods, while other types of batteries can fall into other classes of dangerous goods. This means they are subject to regulations ........................etc.   

-@Strontium

Just to add.

I used to do this for a living (transport dangerous goods by road, rail, sea and air), but I've been out of it for a few years now and these things do change.  You should be aware that there are some issues around transporting these goods.  Batteries fitted to equipment do have special requirements under the IMDG code (so, transport by sea).  I think that these are classified as UN Class 9, then they are either UN 3480 or 3481 for Lithium-ion batteries, or UN number 3090, or 3091 for Lithium-Iron batteries.  A useful link to help you properly identify, classify and package your batteries can be found at this link.

My advice, you're going to have to ship this vehicle, so speak to the freight forwarders/handlers/removal companies, whoever you are going to use and get their advice on the current regulations.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

My advice, you're going to have to ship this vehicle, so speak to the freight forwarders/handlers/removal companies, whoever you are going to use and get their advice on the current regulations.

I hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

-@Cynic

They also do all the paperwork for you.

Wouldn't it be easier to sell it and buy another one across in Portugal.  May be slightly more expensive - or not - but this all sounds like far too much cost and risk to me.