Re-Registration of MYT Sim Cards

Today I visited the Myt shop at Cascavelle to re-register my Myt Sim card.  I believed I had all the correct information as I had my passport the phone my residence permit and proof of address. I thought the process would be quick but then the problems started .

On the first visit I was told that the phone was registered on a different passport number which is correct as I had to renew my passport in 2019 and the original sim card i had was from 2014. I was told to bring the old passport  to Myt to enable the registration,

On the second visit I produced the same documents as well as the old Passport and got a step further into the re-registration process , however it failed and the reason given is that my current passport number does not match the passport number on the residence permit.

So now I have to go to Passport and immigration office to get my residence permit re-issued or amended with the current passport number I suspect they will need the old passport and other certificates as well so I am best taking all my certificates with me.  So now I will have to make a third visit to Myt before end of April in order to keep my phone active.

I have no problem in compliance with the law and accept the inconvenience of all these visits and updates but think that other ex-pats may get a similar problem if they have changed their passport since buying the phone .

Not sure you have to do anything with permit. I'd ask Consumer Protection Unit unit since their claims seem illegal. Several of my friends already changed the passport and the only thing you have to do is to tell EDB about the new one.

@MaaBoo maybe because of the nature of the sim card regulations and the protests against it , that the data they need has to be correct and 100% matching .   I will see what the Passport and Immigration office say as I have e-mailed them

Mauritius is getting into an autocratic rule and most people in mauritius are aware of the anuse of their constitutional rights are protesting. i have not re registered my SIM card because i will atill be able to use whatsapp via my UK sim card. That shows how stupid their thinking processes have been.

@lesmar54 Highly unlikely. If you can pass the border control with the new passport and old permit, then definitely you papers are OK. Any other regulations should not violate already existing laws and rules (e.g. immigration). It's 99% that you'll waste your time in EDB.

Visited Passport and Immigration Office yesterday and they updated the passport number on my Residency Permit and today I registered on-iine with no problems my sim card.

To be noted by all

THE PASSPORT AND IMMIGRATION OFFICE DID NOT STATE THAT IT WAS NOT NECESSARY TO UPDATE YOUR PASSPORT NUMBER. IN FACT THEY RECORDED THE NEW NUMBER.

IF YOU ARE HERE IN MAURITIUS WITH A RESIDENCY PERMIT AND ENJOY LIVING HERE DO NOT FORGET THAT ANY NON_COMPLAINCE WITH THE LAWS OF THE COUNTRY COULD LEAD TO THE PERMIT BEING WITHDRAWN AND YOU ARE ASKED TO LEAVE MAURITIUS

Immigration Act

6. Loss of status of resident

(1) Where, in relation to a resident, the Minister is satisfied that it is in the public

interest to do so, he may, in his absolute discretion, deprive him of his status of resident.

they updated the passport number on my Residency Permit

How? Is it kind of stamp or what?

IN FACT THEY RECORDED THE NEW NUMBER

As I said, you have to tell them to update their database, that's true

no stamp just a database update

@Vedan if you use any mobile banking such as MCB juice then it will no longer work if your phone is in-registered as it will become inactive. If you are a law abiding resident of Mauritius you will also be better safeguarded if your phone gets stolen and the sim card is used for fraudulent purposes or drug dealing as the sim card will be matched to a photograph of you and as such anyone found using a stolen sim card can be better identified.  Also if you opened a bank account in Mauritius and take out car insurance etc the financial services require a KYC record about you .  That is the same as many things in the UK anyway so I have no problem in compliance with the regulations

@MaaBoo I dfid not ask them about that as I was just happy in getting my details upto date and correct .

Do cell companies have access to immigration databases? Sounds uncomfortable...

@MaaBoo As the registration is not for them it is a law passed by the government then they would have access to validate either a national ID card or combination of residents permit and passport.  The mobile phone operators have to comply with the law also relating t o the information they collect

14. IT Security Audit report

(1) Every operator shall submit to the Authority, by 31st July

of each year, an IT Security Audit report conducted by a certified

Information System Auditor, certifying that –

(a) the operator has taken necessary measures for the

registration of its subscribers;

(b) the process for registration at the sales point of the

operator are in line with the requirements of these

regulations or any such guidelines made thereunder;

(c) the data recorded in the subscriber database of the

operator are in accordance with these regulations or

any such guidelines made thereunder; and

(d) any other requirements as may be defined from time

to time in guidelines or directives issued by the

Authority are being complied with.

(2) Where an operator provides access to a certified

Information System Auditor to its subscriber database, that access

shall be provided under a non disclosure agreement.

2744 Government Notices 2021

15. Offences

Any person who contravenes these regulations shall commit an

offence and shall, on conviction, be liable to a fine not exceeding

50,000 rupees and to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year

Do cell companies have access to immigration databases? Sounds uncomfortable...        -@MaaBoo   They already have the information in those cases where you have purchased a sim-card since October 2023

5. Application for registration of SIM or M2M SIM

(1) A person who wishes to buy a SIM or an M2M SIM from

an operator or authorised agent shall –

(a) in the case of a citizen of Mauritius, make an

application in the form set out in the First Schedule,

which shall be accompanied by –

(i) a copy of his National Identity Card or a copy

of the personal details of his passport; and

(ii) a recent copy of his utility bill or any other

proof of address;

(b) in the case of a non-citizen who is a resident of

Mauritius, he shall make an application in the

form set out in the First Schedule, which shall be

accompanied by –

(i) a copy of the personal details of his passport;

(ii) his Unique Identification number;

2738 Government Notices 2021

(iii) a copy of his residence permit or occupation

permit, as the case may be; and

(iv) a recent copy of his utility bill or any other

proof of address

Therefore the scope of the Re-registration task clearly states it is for sim-cards that are in use before that date in October thus bringing everyone in line.  This is the bit that many find confusing and do not wish to participate is that if they have say purchased a sim-card  for themselves in January 2024 the authorities will have your details for the new sim-card but not for your old one or for the data that the law now requires to be collected.

see the following government  article

GIS – 30 October 2023: As from 31 October 2023, all existing SIM card Holders in the Republic of Mauritius will be required to re-register their SIM cards. The deadline to complete the re-registration exercise is set for 30 April 2024, failing which all SIM cards that have not been re-registered will be automatically deactivated. The re-registration of SIM cards is, in fact, in line with the recommendations of the Commission of Inquiry on Drug Trafficking Report of June 2018. Further to these recommendations, the Information and Communication Technologies (Registration of SIM) Regulations 2023 to control the sale and use of SIM cards, will be effective as from tomorrow, Tuesday 31 October 2023.

This was the gist of a press conference, organised by the Information and Communication Technologies Authority (ICTA), today at The Celicourt Building, in Port Louis.

The Chairperson of the ICTA, Mr Dick Ng Sui Wa; the Officer-in-Charge of the ICTA, Mr Jerome Louis; the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Emtel Ltd, Mr Kresh Goomany; the Head Customer Experience of Cellplus Mobile Communications Ltd, Mrs Nishi Munbodh Mohun; and the CEO of Mahanagar Telephone Mauritius Limited (MTML), Mr Shashank Malviya, were present to provide details regarding the modalities put in place for the re-registration exercise.

ICTA's Chairperson reminded that the main aim of this exercise is to ensure that each SIM card in use is registered in the name of its user in order to protect subscribers against all types of fraud, identity theft and other misdeals. He underlined that the re-registration of SIM cards will be done online through the websites or applications that the operators will make available to the public as from 31 October 2023. For any subscriber who does not have access to the online system, re-registration can be done in person with the respective operators, he stated.

As for the Officer-in-Charge of ICTA, he pointed out that one of the challenges faced was the number of SIM cards already in operation to date, and the number of black phones currently being used. He further stressed that the authorities and operators have put in place an easy process so as to ensure that the re-registration exercise is carried out smoothly. Mr Louis seized this opportunity to indicate that a link is available on the ICTA's website https://www.icta.mu/simregulation to provide a QR code for each operator's website.

For his part, Emtel Ltd's CEO, informed that the company has devised a mobile application, MoEmtel, for its users to perform the re-registration exercise. The application will be available as from 31 October 2023 on App Store, Play Store and Huawei AppGallery. A user can also re-register friends and relatives via the mobile application. He reminded that all data will be stored with the operator and remain secure.

As for MTML's CEO, he shared that users can download a mobile application from App Store or Play Store and follow the steps to re-register their SIM cards. This exercise can also be carried out at MTML outlets across the Island, he said.

The Head Customer Experience of Cellplus Mobile Communications Ltd, for her part, stated that a link will be available on the company's website or on the telecom App to allow users to re-register their SIM cards. A hotline, 8900, is also available to provide any additional information a customer may require, she added.

It is recalled that, as is currently the case and in compliance with the Data Protection Act, all data stored with the operators remains secure and under their responsibility.

Government Information Service, Prime Minister's Office, Level 6, New Government Centre, Port Louis, Mauritius. Email: [email protected]  Mobile App: Search Gov

I am trying to do the MY T re-registration from India as I am not in Mauritius. I get stuck on the click selfie page. I am trying every day . I wait for 10 to 15 minutes then close my lap top. I wrote to MY T customer service , they told me to keep trying.

Is there any way that I can make my click selfie field work , while doing my KYC on line.

Hello Dear,

*** There is a freeze of this regulation that has been set until the 13th of may by the Suprême Court of Mauritius.

Moderated by Bhavna last week
Reason : Political/personal opinion
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@terence

I had the same problem, and I had to re-registrer my new passeport at the immigration council in Port Louis.

my Sim card was registrated since few years with a passeport who had expired.

@lesmar54 The same. I have a Emtel SIM and re registered with no probelm,using the App  even though mine dates from 2020 and was a Tourist issue. My wife, who is Malagasy, also has an EMTEL SIM but it refused to recognise her. Even though both of us are on Premium Visas.

We asked the Emtel people what to do and they told us, "Get another SIM". This is not good service at all. There is re-registration in Kenya where we lived before. Any problems were solved by the mobile operator, you take your correct papaers and sort it out at the branch. They deal with the authroity direct,not you.

@lesmar54 You emailed them? I have emailed them x10 and called them x 10. Nobody ever does anything or picks up. Let me know if you get a response.