Dependants visa

I am currently living in the UK and as soon as I receive my police record check I am then able to submit my application for a retirement visa.  However, the application for a dependants visa states that:

The dependent should ensure that he/she has a valid tourist visa at the time of application.

This does not make any sense.  How come I can apply from the UK but my wife has to have a valid tourist visa?

@T?Wey

I am in a similar position but more advanced as I am in Mauritius to get my permit at the moment.

We opted to both apply individually rather than one as a dependent as in our case I was concerned that if the primary person died then the dependent permit was no longer valid.

If you apply then my understanding is that:

(a) You will get an approval in principle

(b) Pay the fee

(c) On arrival in Mauritius you will upload your visa entry stamp in your passport.

(d) Upload medical results and any other outstanding information.

(d) Assuming the EDB has got all the required documentation they will schedule an appointment, in our case four working days later.

(e) Once you get your permit you can apply for the dependents via the Passport office, see the quote below.

6.8.1. DEFINITION

The Dependents of OP holders and RP holders are eligible to apply for a residence permit.

Dependents are defined as spouse (including Common Law Partner of the opposite sex),

parents, and dependent children, including stepchildren or lawfully adopted children, who are

unmarried and not engaged in any gainful activity.

Application for a RP as dependent is made to and determined by the Passport and Immigration

Office.

The full document is: https://residency.mu/wp-content/uploads … P-2023.pdf

The process for the dependent is different.

Hope that helps. I think they just want to ensure that the dependent has entered the country legally and they want to see the stamp in the passport.

Chris

Thank you for the reply Chris,

We have only just returned from 2 weeks in Mauritius.  We fully completed our medicals while we were there.  I am now just waiting for my police certificate to come back and I was intending to start the process from the UK.

We are returning to Mauritius at the end of June and we had both hoped to have our retirement visas granted during the two weeks of our next visit.

Unfortunately, I don't think you will do this in two weeks. Like you, we had done our medicals and opened up bank accounts on the previous visit.

Currently, my timescales are:

(a) Got an appointment four working days after arriving and uploading our visa stamp.

(b) At the appointment, which was today, I didn't get my permit, which was unexpected, and was told to come back 7 working days later.

I believe you can only apply for your dependent's permit until you get yours. Thus, I don't think you will manage to do it in 2 weeks. I will know more on the 23rd when I return to the EDB and hopefully go onto the passport office on the same day.

Chris

What documentation do you need to open the bank account?? Thankyou

I opened mine with Afrasia and they wanted:

"With regards the account opening requirements, please refer to below list:

1. Passport
  2. Bank reference letter (dated less than 3 months)

3.Recent Proof of Address. Either a utility bill for electricity or water, or a bank statement, dated less than 3 months.

Brief profile / CV

Certified copies to be submitted for point 1,2 and 3."

I note that you are from SA, as am I (UK living in SA). Absa is well established in Mauritius and I thought they might be easier as I bank with them. However, they were not very helpful.

AfrAsia is much smaller but more flexible. I can PM you a contact if interested.

Chris

Thanks, yes please that would be helpful. Do you mean a utility bill from our SA address or a new lease address in Mauritius??

We used a utility bill from SA, we don't have a Mauritius address.

Thanks so much for yr help. The last time we visited the EDB offices was in 2022, and their office was in Port Louis, have they now moved??

Yes, EDB - Ground Floor, 7 Exchange Square, Wall Street, Ebene,72201.

Traffic can be challenging and Google Maps is close but not close enough. It was only about 100 m but signage could be better.

Oh thanks, will bear this in mind when we see them next month

For the benefit of others, I thought I would give an update on progress:

(a) Got an appointment with the EDB 4 working days after arriving and uploading our visa stamp.

(b) At the appointment we were told to come back 7 working days later. We contacted EDB and ultimately we were able to collect it after 5 working days.

(c) The good news is that we were then told we could go immediately to the Passport office in Port Louis and collect our ID card.

(d) Unfortunately on arrival at the Passport office we found that the ID card machine was broken but should be fixed in a couple of days. The ID card must be collected by the individual concerned.

(e) As we were in town we used the opportunity to apply for a Mauritius driving license, which you can do without an ID card. The traffic branch has no photocopying facilities for the public so either go armed with all the required copies or visit a shop opposite the station which photocopies documents. This appears to be a three-step process:

1. Submit the paperwork for approval, remembering you need a medical certificate if over 60.

2. You must contact them 5 working days later to see if it has been approved. Assuming it has then you go to the police station again, pay the fee (RS 1500) and get a receipt.

3. Thereafter I am told that it will take four weeks. Once you have the receipt you can get somebody else to collect it.

Chris