Sofia Airport to the center

Are there regular buses from thr Airport and how long does the journey take from the airport to the city centre? I looked at getting a taxi but they wanted 130€ for the one way, thirteen minute journey 🤦‍♀️! I don't think so. I'm beginning to panic a bit now as we are on a (relatively) limited budget.

There are buses, and there is metro/subway (from Terminal 2, the new one, from Terminal 1 there's a shuttle bus to Terminal 2). It costs less than a euro per person.

Also, there's a taxi desk in the arrivals hall, where you can request a taxi, and it should not be 130 euros, if you're only going to Sofia.

@sogy  thanks, it was a 'complimentary' transfer on booking,dot, com! Small print 'there is a charge for this service' so I looked into how much, and nearly choked.

Do buses take euros? I have bgn on my card but was hoping not to have to use the atm in the airport (had my card details stolen a few years ago when I use my card in stanstead airport) but if we have to, so be it.

@ButterMyPaws19 No euros (yet), just levs.

@sogy I thought that was the case. I suppose it might be worth having a couple of euro notes to exchange at the airport bureau de change. A bit expensive but rather that than have my card details stolen (or is it not so much of an issue?) I worry too much. 🤦‍♀️🤣🤣

@ButterMyPaws19 I don't remember exactly, but the ticket desk at the entrance to the metro may be accepting cards

If you mean going to Sofia center from the airport,  there's no way a taxi would charge you 130€ for that… our first trip to Sofia, we arrived at 2am, no metro at midnight so we prebooked an OK taxi on Facbook messenger. The driver in the yellow taxi picked us up on time with no issues, costed 16 leva to center.

But if you arrive in Sofia in day time, you should use the metro, very cheap and fairly fast (I think it takes around 30-45 minutes to anywhere in the center).

For exchanging money, always better to have some local currency before arriving… and locals don't use euros yet, still just lev. There are quite many reasonable currency exchange stores in the center if you run out of lev.

@ButterMyPaws19 You can pay with your contactless card on the Metro, very easy and inexpensive.