Purchasing property with Guest House(s)

My wife and I are looking to sell up in the UK and purchase a property in inland Andalucia with guest house(s) , in order to start an Air bnb business.

Where do we start?

We would be looking to spend around €250-300k. I think a golden visa requires 500k investment. Is this flexible?

The guest house(s) would be our main source of income, although I do have a small website development business which I would continue to grow in Spain. Maybe offering English speaking website development to expats.

We can't buy before we know if we would qualify for a visa and there is no point applying before we have a property? How does the timeline work?

My Father has lived in Spain for the past 20 years and has residencia, but obviously everything has changed since Brexit.

Any advice from guest house owners would be much appreciated. Also anyone looking to sell a going concern, please let me know.

@andybeer4

If you're going to buy an expensive property, the Golden Visa is a great option as it allows you to work. I doubt, however, that the investment required is flexible.

I think the formal approach would most likely be as an "autonomo" (self-employed) and you put together an application and a business plan. I'm sure folks have done this, but I think it might be a rather time-consuming option.

https://www.inclusion.gob.es/en/web/mig … nta-propia

Personally, I'd probably go for the poor man's Golden Visa, the NLV (No Lucrativa Visa). This requires just under 30k in savings for the main applicant (and a bit more per dependent), and it's one of the easiest and most popular residence visas.

This is a non-working visa, which means, officially, not employed in Spain, and not autonomo in Spain. Virtual working (e.g. web stuff) and renting out a property you own (e.g. via Airbnb) would be a bit of grey area. I'd personally go this way as it's so easy and quick, it would let me start living in Spain. And it would let me search and buy a suitable property. I don't think I'd be blatantly abusing my visa if I then happen to rent a room or two. If it all looks great and I want a "proper" business with relevant licenses as an autonomo, then nothing stops me from making that application in Spain and requesting a change of status.

In your case, I'd also check the exact rules for family reunification, as this is an easier process than going for residence visas. Under normal circumstances, you can't do family reunification for children over 18. However, there might be an exception if your dad can convince them that he's elderly and ailing, and that he needs you to relocate to Spain in order to care for him. But it's a long shot, this one.

Good luck!

Great advice, thank you.  At this stage we are just looking at the options available to us,  so this is perfect.  Thank you for taking the time, it is much appreciated.