Insurance providers

Hello again, is it difficult to obtain insurance if a person(me) had a liver transplant 4 yrs ago. If anyone has any suggestions for an insurance company that would even look at me if I did an extended period in the DM. Thanks so much

@gregmacdougall43

Hola, Greg,

My wife and I are considering moving to DR ourselves, but are, like you, having a very difficult time finding out about medical insurance there. We are both over 65 and have heard that there are no insurance providers in DR that will insure us (other than international companies). Sure would be nice if someone could help us both out with some good information.

Hope you have some good luck in finding info and congradulations on your liver transplant.

Jim Kellison

@jimkellison thanks so much for the reply. We're both 55 and I didn't scope out any providers I thought I'd ask here first.

As an insurance provider I can tell you the following:

Over 65 there is no private insurance currently available.

For a liver transplant my suggestion would be to  make the application.   Its worth a try as you are (I assume) fairly stable!  They will undoubtedly exclude everything to do with your liver and rejection but you may get coverage for the rest!

Hola, Planner,

I am new to Expat.com but see you post to many of the threads created. It is a big help to have someone like you onboard, I'm sure. I certainly don't have any reason to doubt you, but these days anyone can post anything anywhere. What are your qualifications in the medical insurance field? What do people in DR do if they are over 65? Sorry to be questioning you, but medical insurance is a very major thing for my wife and I at our age. The international insurance programs we have looked at are so expensive it would be less expensive to self-insure, it seems.

Have a great day! Jim Kellison

@planner I thank you for your time. I consider myself very healthy the liver is doing fantastic with no issues. We are 55/56 years old and some of the quotes online seem extremely high 4000.00/ yr cad. So if you could recommend an international co. I'd appreciate it.

I am a former insurance and investment professional from Canada. I have lived here 20 years. I researched insurance here and I have my own very large group with one of the major suppliers.  I have one of the largest private groups in the country.

And you are the first person to ask me this! 1f609.svg1f609.svg1f609.svg

As for international insurance, why not investigate local insurance first? Good quality coverage is US 60 per person per month.

Again thanks for the response. Did I read this right that you belong to a group that provides insurance if so can you message me and I'll give you mine and my wife's information or the details of the group.

The goup is mine honey and yes i will message you.

We have our medical insurance through planner's group and I can vouch for the quality of the insurance at a reasonable price.  I had spine surgery here in the DR last year and the insurance paid for my care with no issues. I am convinced the same surgery in the US would have resulted in insurance related problems.

@planner thanks so much....chat soon

@planner what?!?! You have your own group insurance plan?

Impressive, moat impressive.

May I please get some information on this plan?

Gracias!

You sure can honey.