Mennonite homes

Hello,

I am looking to buy a simple 1 - 2 bedroom pre-fab home from one of the Mennonite builders in Spanish Lookout. First, I know that some of the builders offer options of metal siding. Is this a good option or should I stick with wood? I know termites is a big deal when it comes to wooden houses.

Secondly, what are the recommendations for the interior walls? We plan to have AC in every room in the house.

Lastly, what are the top recommended builders?

Thank you!

I would highly recommend Premier in Iguana Creek (on the road to Spanish Lookout).  We have worked with them a couple of times and have had a really great relationship.  Still drop by when in coutry to visit.  When you go, tell Lillian that Frank and Laurie said hi.  We originally bought a small house for our caretaker then a larger one for ourselves.  When the caretaker decided not to use the first one, we had it moved beside our house and added a screened breezeway/kitchen between.  Now, the original house is our living/dining room, the smaller is our bedroom, bath and laundry room, and the kitchen is in the breezeway between.  It works great! If you are going to a/c, I would put a layer of builder's felt on the inside of the outer wood walls (I hate metal siding), then insulation, then drywall.  Be sure to treat the posts on which the house is set with burnt motor oil to prevent teremites.  Best to retreat every two or three years.  We are lucky to be on a hilltop in San Antonio and have a breeze year-round.  Only rarely very hot and alomost never at night.

@Alextiluna I am actually going to Spanish Lookout on Tuesday to meet with premier homes builders. Planning on putting a prefab on my lot at secret beach. I've been told that if you are building close to the water the metal siding is not a good idea because of the rust associated with saltwater proximity. As far as prefab builders concerned seems like premier homes and pletts are the main players down there, at least the most established. I wish I could tell you more but I am actually diving into this headfirst myself. Lol. We'll see what happens!

Thank you both for the valuable information. We plan placing this house in Benque Viejo, Cayo District, so salt water is of no concern.

@frankhatcher, how much was the smaller house for your caretaker and the dimensions? We are looking for a small house we can come vacation to.

It's been a few years ago so what we paid might not be relevant,  I think the house was 16' x 26'and the cost was around $10,000US.  That was just for the shell.  We have modified and built on several times.  Our situation may be similar to yours.  We arre retired and try to come for a month twice a year,  The locals are really nice and our caretaker's extended family has folks who can do anything,  Carpentry, electrical plumbing, etc.  A big help!

@Alextiluna Hi, I did find three home manufacturer in Spanish Lookout, the one that replied quickly was; Lindavista, PremierConstruction and PrettConstruction make transportable homes to your specs.

Because of the the heat I wouldn't go for metal siding. Check with them what would be best for your needs. Myself I will build my own wood home at one point when I know more about the termite and lumber situation. I am in no rush to build. Good luck.

We toured Linda Vista. It's owned by Pletts, I believe. I was impressed by the quality, and also the beauty of the woods they use. We decided to go with a concrete home instead, nothing against the Mennonite homes, except they're necessarily limited in size because they have to fit on a truck.