Continue to work for a Quebec company

Good morning,

I am French, I have lived in Quebec for around 8 years and I am employed full time (100% teleworking) for a Quebec company.

I am planning to move to Spain with my family, and I would like to find a solution to continue working for my employer in Quebec.

My Quebec employer is OK in principle because I am already teleworking all year round and I would deal with the time difference.

So I was thinking of getting "Autonomo" status from Spain, and billing every month, but I understood that it is not allowed to have only one client.

My question is the following, what should I do because I can no longer be an employee of this Quebec company if my tax address is no longer in Canada?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.1f609.svg

@guillaume7684

Welcome to the expat.com forum and good luck with your potential move to Spain!

Autonomo might be premature. I suggest you first move to Spain and complete the immigration formalities (EU Citizen Registration for you, Family Reunification for your family members). Others in a similar situation who don't have the benefit of EU citizenship would need to look at the DNV (Digital Nomad Visa) based on the existing employment or the NLV (No Lucrativa Visa) based on savings.

I don't see why you can't continue as an employee, if you want to. It's probably not the best option longer term, but there might be good reasons (Canadian employment protection, your pension, potential promotion/seniority, potential return). Most countries/employers don't care where you live, or where your tax residence is. I certainly can't see any reason why you'd need to change this before you're legally resident in Spain.

Once in Spain, you could become an autonomo if you want. I'd be surprised if there was any rule against having only one client. Or you could incorporate your own service company and invoice via (and be an employee of) this entity.

https://balcellsgroup.com/how-to-become … -in-spain/

@guillaume7684 how long have you been living in Quebec

2 years it's enough !!

I can help you out if you are ready to move on.