Bringing my own e-trike from the USA to Brazil

I'm moving from the USA to Brazil. I intend to bring my road bike and my wife's e-trike. The moving company says 'no way', and they won even accept as items eligible to put in their containers. People in other forums such as Quora, say they didn't have any issues. I'm getting docs from the Brazilian consulate proving my 30+ years of living in the US, with dual citizenship. Any comments or advice? Thank you in advance!

@Roger Fonseca Santos

It is illegal to import any vehicle with a motor into Brazil, unless it is brand new and unused, or over 30 years old - and this even includes lawnmowers! In these cases there are very heavy taxes and duties to be paid. Just not worth it...

Muitissimo obrigado, Peter.

Roger's question got me thinking about that automobile/transportation topic AND as I look around (the world) I see a huge number of initiatives for alternative transportation to reduce petroleum consumption, minimize city mobility problems and so forth.

I am (was?) an avid bicyclist in my hometown (Madison, WI) and it was my principle means of urban transportation when I arrived here in the northeast (2009). I had a cargo bike for groceries/market and a mountain bike for longer commutes and for exploring the surrounding trails with groups of local like-minded bikers. I even worked on local mobility issues with our municipality - unfortunately dominated by sports-bikers (more interested in tracks than commute lanes) and not commuters (it is kind of a class issue that is resolving itself slowly). My biking days are on hold since I broke a femur (2018) and now need to replace my old knees (work-in-progress) but I do plan on getting back to two wheels as is is about the best cardio-vascular excercise one can get outside of a gym (I hate gyms).

How many other bikers are there on the Brazil forum? I'd like to hear from you! ULDG5wM1ZoSC1WAc7

Hmmm! Guessing that the foto link doesn't work well.....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ULDG5wM1ZoSC1WAc7

Oh heck!! Here's the whole album. Feel free to comment.... there's text in each foto... I miss my bike!!!!

20100620-Brazil_bikes

https://goo.gl/photos/rGjD1B865pS2wda99

Hey, me too, ex-avid biker. I just moved to Goiania, and sold my bicycles prior to leaving, custom road bike and a Santa Cruz MTB and some others. Broke my heart, but to bring them into Brasil would have been cost prohibitive.

Anyway, my question is really about your knees. My left is a total replacement and works well. The right is getting to the point that a replacement will be the best course of action. Are you getting your knees repaired here in Brasil? Or will you be traveling back to the States for repairs? Just wondering, as I have only been here a short time and could use some advice.

Hi @kevinmiller1957,

I'm doing my knees here, actually in João Pessoa. My current "solution" is a fellow that has done a lot of work in the states and has great English (not that I really need that). Still, he has perspective and, hopefully, is as good as he has been made out to be.

My first potential doctor was more into useless injections to minimize pain along with a rigid workout in his gym space. He isn't "bad" but just didn't fit my type.

The second was in Recife and I was going to have to spend a month (twice) in Recife. I like Recife but not to spend a month PLUS the doctor I found there, although highly recommended, seemed to be pretty full of himself and it was a bit of a personality clash.

Third time seems to be a winner and João Pessoa works a LOT better for me as I have family there.

I'm doing exams and getting ready. still, I have a lot of trust in providers here. I've done well by them. My whole (large) family does too.

Healthcare reliability is pretty location dependent. In my northeastern region, with my national Unimed plan, I do very well. In Recife, João Pessoa and Campina Grande I feel that I am in good hands with a lot of options.

mberigan

@mberigan

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I have had some limited contact with the medical community here in Goiania, and have found it to be quite acceptable.

I have been contemplating the Unimed plan, looks like the best choice here in Goiania. Except for the 2 year pre-existing condition clause. I will now have to look at the National Plan.

If you wouldn't mind sharing your doctor's information in Jao Pessoa either here or in a PM I would appreciate it. We have  friends there, so it would justify the trip!

Thank you!

Hi Kevin,  We brought  4 bikes from US and are bringing them back now one by one.  My husband brought his Santa Cruz MTB also.  Not sure why it was cost prohibitive?  On AA and probably other airlines you can bring a bike in a bike bag and count it towards checked luggage.  Bikes are very expansive here!  I brought my road bike but never rode it.  The roads are too bad around here. I brought it back over Christmas and had some nice rides in NC.  My husband rides his but on the highway.  Not my idea of fun….   You are brave to have a knee replacement in Brazil.  Make sure you get a good surgeon.  We have Unimed and the coverage seems good.  Our experiences with the Brazilian medical system have been "hit or miss".  If you have a surgeon you trust in the US I would personally have him or her do it.  Good luck with everything.

@Droplover Thank you for your thoghts, in my case the bike was a Santa Cruz Heckler 29er electric assist mtb. Very large, very heavy, big li-ion battery. Would have been very difficult to transport.  Especially since batteries aren't allowed in the cargo hold. I sold it for $6000 dollars prior to leaving the US

@Droplover, are there beach bikes available in Brazil?  I have a fat tire but I think that the tire would be too small for riding on the beach.

Thank you.

There are beach bikes. I think fat tire bike have wider tires and do much better on sand than beach bikes.

Google search:

beach bikes site:br

I'm guessing that most of these are Chinese imports.

I'm looking for a good Brazilian fat tire bike with urban riding in mind. i use a Ravi Way, a step-thru bike for more elderly riders in urban conditions. The tires are more MTB, wide but not fat, and a low pressure fat tire would do the cobblestones much better.

mberigan

I always used to ride (in the USA) hybrids or road bikes but I now need something more upright and that cushions better. We have a lot of asphalt lanes available but I tend to stick to streets without traffic which tend to be cobblestone PLUS we still have a lot of dirt roads here and those are always my favorite......

I have a Sondors X -> https://sondors.com/products/sondors-x? … 5594145858 which does really well going down any snow slope.  4.9" wide tires.  I guess that this should be good for slightly wet sandy beaches.

I was told that there are wider tires than 4.9" which would make it ideal for all beach conditions.

Anyone has heard anything about those wider tire beach bikes?

A friend in South Carolina, who rents bikes in the Hilton Head Island, told me he shipped e-trikes to Brazil about three years ago. $2,200 for the bike, plus $300 for the pre-shipping and packing work, and for the buyer, an additional 60% the value of the bike for Brazilian taxes. If it works, and if these are the only costs, I believe it is worth. Any comments? Or anything my friend missed???

Also, talking about knee surgery, mberigan, best of luck to you on your surgery. My wife had her left knee operated back in December. Now, we're shopping for a health insurance in Brazil for when we move. We're thinking about MedSenior. Anyone familiar with this company? Unimed is way too expensive due to the fact I'm 63 and my wife 75...

@Pablo888

Hey Pablo, my wife and i rented beach bikes in South Carolina -> e-trike Grizzly. They look about the as what you  just showed here. They were great on the hard sand near the water.

One question related to whether e-trikes are worth it in Brazil - are e-bikes common in Brazil?  I am afraid that this may attract a lot of attention - which is not good safety wise.

For instance, my yellow Sondors X gets a lot of comments every time I take it out...

Am I being too paranoid here?

E-bikes are hot right now. A company named Sense has a line of MTBs that are electric. Every bike shop in my city has at least one one ebike line to sell. They're very popular for more senior folks wanting more pleasant commutes and for the older folks who just can't give up their bike lifestyle.

I almost bought a Sense foldable ebike but am waiting until after knee replacement.....

mberigan

@Pablo888 Hi!  Sorry but I don't know anything about beach bikes (or e-bikes). 

@Pablo888

Pablo, I don't think you are being paranoid. It depends on where you live. Also, if you have a group of people you bike with, that would be the best. That's the kind of situation which worries me about my wife. We are reforming our home in Espirito Santo. The contractor last week asked me about installing bars on doors and windows. That was an odd feeling.

In a related subject...We plan on bringing 3 bikes early next year. 2 e-bikes and a regular. Are there any restrictions on batteries when shipping? Good to know that they are a bit expensive and worth bringing.

Are there any restrictions on batteries when shipping?
    -@56tbourne

On an airplane, lithium ion batteries for e-bikes can only be carried in a carry-on see -> https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr … amp;page=1

You are not alllowed to carry that big of a battery. we tried.  impossible

My wife and I brought her scooter and two lithium batteries in the plane as a carry-on. However, we brought as a medical need. If you make a point that you need your e-trike as a part of a medical recommendation, that can help a lot. Good luck.