Geoblue Health Insurance

I have BCBS through my retirement benefits.  When I called to let them know I was moving to Portugal, they said my plan would change to GeoBlue.  I'm not at all familiar with that name.  Does anyone here use GeoBlue?  Is it any good?  My understanding is that for most visits, I would pay the provider out of pocket and then file a claim with GeoBlue.

I'm just trying to determine if I need to purchase a health insurance plan when I get there or if GeoBlue would be okay to keep.

Thank you.

Hi Jim,

Some info here:

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/ … ntryId=144

(Select city, right side, maybe health providers available there that accept this insurance)

@Jim Garrison

Jim- I have no specific knowledge of Geo blue. However, as a physician who has practiced in the US for 35 years, I can unequally state that I would never trust a US health insurance company. The reasons for this are two numerous and varied. Suffice to say, they will gladly accept your premiums but will make every effort to  thwart payment/reimbursement.

Private health insurance is quite cheap compared to US standards and is less than €80 a month, even for people in their 70s.

Good Luck!

Hi Jim,

I realise you're not allowed to advertise but can you tell me where you get/ found your private health insurance and does that include repatriation?

My husband (61) and myself (54) can't find a basic cover (NOT including dental) for less than €3850 for a couple.

Also, when we die, neither if us are bothered about being buried/cremated in the U.K.  Does anyone know if we can be buried/cremated in Portugal and if we can and ensure we have a plan in place, would there still be a need for our health insurance to include repatriation?

Thanks,

Diane.

@Diane,

Ask your questions at a funeral establishment. I suggest Servilusa. Unfortunately, I called on them and realised that they are very competent.

They have funeral plans in Life.

https://funeralvida.servilusa.pt/

Thank you,

I'll see if there is one near us.

Appreciated,

Dx

@Jim,

Private Healthcare System in Portugal

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=914196

Try MGen health insurance. It is a good option for +70s.

Thank you, I will. I am 54 and my husband is 61.... Don't know if that makes a difference. The ones I've tried even this afternoon are the most basic starting at £400+ a month!!!

My hubby and I haven't seen / spoke with a doctor in over 10 years. We both wear glasses and see the dentist regularly (I'm lucky to have good strong teeth but by hubby has limited teeth but not yet using dentures, but we still get check ups every 9 months) so. F we are fortunate  enough to remain in our usual state of health then we are more likely to need eyes and teeth more often in the next 5 years, yet we haven't even considered adding dental or an optician to the health insurance.... Seriously, who has £400+ every month for something they hope not to need, surely that's just too much- I DO understand that everyone hopes not to need to use it etc but that's more than car insurance for a year and everyone hopes they don't need that but you're glad you have for peace of mind!

Surely there is another option?

Dx

I found this in an informative article, but I can't find ANY company boffering anything remotely close:

"Average Cost of Health Insurance in Portugal

How much is health insurance? Private insurance in Portugal is generally quite cheap. This could cost between 20 and 50 EUR (22–55 USD) a month, depending on your age and the extent of your coverage. This means you can pay anywhere between 400 EUR (440 USD) a year for a basic plan and 1,000 EUR (1,100 USD) yearly for a more well-rounded coverage"

Average%20Cost%20of%20Health%20Insurance%20in%20Portugal%20%20How%20much%20is%20health%20insurance?%20Private%20insurance%20in%20Portugal%20is%20generally%20quite%20cheap.%20This%20could%20cost%20between%2020%20and%2050%20EUR%20(22%E2%80%9355%20USD)%20a%20month,%20depending%20on%20your%20age%20and%20the%20extent%20of%20your%20coverage.%20This%20means%20you%20can%20pay%20anywhere%20between%20400%20EUR%20(440%20USD)%20a%20year%20for%20a%20basic%20plan%20and%201,000%20EUR%20(1,100%20USD)%20yearly%20for%20a%20more%20well-rounded%20coverage.
    Thank you, I will. I am 54 and my husband is 61.... Don't know if that makes a difference. The ones I've tried even this afternoon are the most basic starting at £400+ a month!!!
My hubby and I haven't seen / spoke with a doctor in over 10 years. We both wear glasses and see the dentist regularly (I'm lucky to have good strong teeth but by hubby has limited teeth but not yet using dentures, but we still get check ups every 9 months) so. IF we are fortunate  enough to remain in our usual state of health then we are more likely to need eyes and teeth more often in the next 5 years, yet we haven't even considered adding dental or an optician to the health insurance.... Seriously, who has £400+ every month for something they hope not to need, surely that's just too much- I DO understand that everyone hopes not to need to use it etc but that's more than car insurance for a year and everyone hopes they don't need that but you're glad you have for peace of mind!
Surely there is another option?
Dx

-@fotheringhamdiane

I did spend some time last year in Portugal and have the same information. Only one thing I learn that some providers in Portugal can do the paper work for you if they have stablished this; otherwise as you stated that you have to pay and them file for re-imbruement