MOT in and out of Bulgaria

I have a rather unique situation where I am registered personally as well as with a company in Bulgaria, and I would like to import a EU car to Bulgaria and apply Bulgarian plates. I understand I would, for this kind of used vehicle, need to do a yearly "MOT test" (GTP/ГТП in Cyrillic - "Annual Technical Inspection"). I however drive and travel the whole year round throughout Europe and do not come back to Bulgaria once a year which creates a problem for the MOT but also for the collection of the disc / pass certificate. What are my options here, could I be able to have the vehicle tested abroad and outside of Bulgaria and somehow be able to send the disc / pass certificate to myself? Is there a difference if I register the car personally or on my company?

I imagine an MOT abroad would be more thorough and so would provide sufficient comfort for the Bulgarian Authorities. However, I understand the authorized garage issues a card / disc/ pass certificate / stamp for the car, and I wonder how I might be able to acquire this when abroad.

If this is not possible to test the MOT and receive the disc / pass certificate abroad, what would be the consequences of not doing the yearly MOT? If I would for example only MOT test every 2 years or more for example, what are the consequences? Could I not do the MOT anymore, would insurance not cover me etc?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this and thank you or thinking along with the edge case scenario.

The way I understand it there is no EU-wide MOT (technical inspection) that is data-based throughout the EU

The main problem arises when you look at residency rules.

Your normal residence is the place where you usually live, work or have family (for more than 185 days in a calendar year). Many countries have time limits on how long a car can be out of the country before re-registration is required and this is associated with residency rules.

I would suggest that if you have no idea if you will be in Bulgaria at the time the inspection is due then maybe when you return to Bulgaria if it is before its runs out get it done early.

Otherwise, it would have to be on a trailer.

In previous years you could get away with it but everything is getting tightened up these days

@robbertvandoorn

It doesn't matter where you register your car (or whether it's personal or company), it will need tax/test/insurance in that location. Tax and insurance are typically pretty easy to do online, so it doesn't matter where your vehicle is at that time. But an inspection requires the vehicle, so, once a year (usually, some countries might have a longer interval), you'll need to get back to the country of registration.

Typically, you either plan your travels so that you're back at base in time for the inspection... or you have 2 vehicles with different country registrations based on where you spend the most time.

Letting your inspection expire is a very bad idea. It potentially invalidates your insurance, and leaves you open to significant penalties for operating a non-roadworthy vehicle. If you get stopped for any reason, in any country, you'll almost certainly be in significant trouble. Don't do it! :-)

@robbertvandoorn

No you cannot mot a foreign registered vehicle in another country..only the country of current registration.

Unless you re register that car and get all the documents for it changed over.

If for example you live in the UK..buy a UK car.. you cannot insure..test..tax a foreign registered car..

If you want cheaper MOT..insurance taxation..then I am afraid you will have to find the time..to bring it back to the place the documents relate to..IE Sofia..Burgas.