Potrerito area

Does anyone have any knowledge of the area just south of Potrerito, it's about 15 minutes south of Jamundi, they have some nice homes in the area.

I have no direct experience there, having known only Jamundí where I have friends who own a home there.  Jamundí used to be an up-and-coming area although a pain to commute back and forth to Cali because of the traffic.  Jamundí is known for the cholado, a sweet refreshing beverage of fruit and crushed ice.

Lately however - in the past few years - Jamundí and nearby areas including Potrerito (which is a corregimiento of Jamundí) have become infested with paramilitary groups and narcotraficantes.

Here is an article from September 2023 where a car bomb was set off in Potrerito against a police station:

https://www.eltiempo.com/colombia/cali/ … ndi-808606

Here, an article today, 28 February 2024, about armed men confronting a group of cyclists and how the military will respond to help ensure safety there against groups al margen de la ley, groups outside the law:

https://caracol.com.co/2024/02/28/milit … e-jamundi/

Here another article about the incident, where the armed men demanded IDs and forced the cyclists to leave because they had not asked permission to cycle:

https://www.semana.com/nacion/cali/arti … as/202419/

These incidents in themselves should not rule out your living in Potrerito but it should signal extreme caution.  You would have to have boots-on-the-ground direct knowledge of the situation in that area to proceed.  I would not hesitate to visit my friends in the area.  But would I personally buy property in Potrerito?  I would not.

Here is an article dated March 2, 2024 from El País of Cali, about the current problems with the guerrillas in and around Jamundí:

https://www.elpais.com.co/valle/la-guer … -0201.html

I have read both articles, the reason for my question. thank you for your response.

BTW, truth be told and Cali takes the top Number 1 spot for the highest homicide rate in Colombia.

I have driven through this area a number of times in the past 6 years while on my road trips throughout Colombia, was last there in July 2023 after spending a week in Cali and heading to Silvia and Popayan, I only stop for gas nothing more.

BTW, truth be told and Cali takes the top Number 1 spot for the highest homicide rate in Colombia.
I have driven through this area a number of times in the past 6 years while on my road trips throughout Colombia, was last there in July 2023 after spending a week in Cali and heading to Silvia and Popayan, I only stop for gas nothing more.

-@South American Voyager

As someone who hopes to move to Cali in a few months, can you tell me more about these statistics about crime in Cali? More specifics... most dangerous areas, who usually gets targeted and why, etc. Thanks!

Cali has many good, honest, hard-working people living there.  Unfortunately like so many big cities in Colombia, street crime is rampant - it is so easy for two thieves on a moto to find and quickly rob a victim, just on the spur of the moment, one holding a gun the other grabbing the loot - and then they are off, never to be seen again and with little to no chance of the police ever finding them.  You can see videos on-line where two men on a moto pass by someone on the street, then turn around and come back to rob that person.  For this reason Cali has experimented with not allowing a male parrillero on the back of a moto. People often go out in groups especially at night but that is no guarantee of protection.

You must always stay on the alert and "no dar papaya".  The risk is greatest at night.  Know your barrios and stay away from those with a bad reputation like Siloé, especially at night.

@OsageArcher Sounds like sound advice that applies in basically the entire country. Thanks for the reinforcement! 👍🏿

@ ChineduOpara - Certainly, look in the El Colombiano daily news paper, the big article was I think this past Friday and it showcased how Medellin is now ranked at #19 for homicides and Cali #1, it also has the breakdown of the various parts of the city that are high risk areas.

Medellin has a homicide rate of 12.0 per 1,000 and Cali ranked number 1 is 44.4 homicides per 1,000, an incredible murder rate.............the petty theft crimes and the like as we know in just about any Colombian city is off the charts.

You can find and read El Colombiano either online or what I do, like I did today, stop at my local library once a week and spend hours reading and researching current events, this is in addition to other online news sources which helps me keep current.

In the past 10 years I have visited Cali about 8 or 9 times ranging from a few days to a week with my longest week stay being in July 2023. I always stay in the north side of Cali, barrio Granada but have ventured around the city by car and foot.

Now granted I am a big target, 6'-7" long blond hair/green eyes looking like a California surfer guy/which I am hence I keep up to current events (I travel everywhere in Colombia almost non-stop) but am very street smart (developed over 34 years travel in Colombia) so I have given up trying to fit in, hehehe and I am especially aware when traveling to more dark skinned regions like Cali or my trips to Choco (Quibdo and Nuqui).

Just keeping it real.

Specifically talking about Cali, crime can happen anywhere but is more prevalent in the east and along the Río Cauca.  The north can be safe and so can the south - for instance Ciudad Jardín in the south is estrato 5-6 and usually quite peaceful but also, crooks go where the money is.  Many barrios in the west, north of Ciudad Jardin, are also generally peaceful but no place is immune.  Many richer barrios have a vigilante or two, who roam around day and night trying to keep the scum out.

Most street crime in Cali is opportunistic, spur of the moment, and not planned except for sicario "hits" and narco gang wars.  I don't think the word "fleteo" began in Cali, to describe the crime and method of crooks waiting around an ATM to see who withdraws a wad of cash, but this crime is also too prevalent there.  I would always use an ATM in a mall, then walk around stopping in various stores for another 15-30 minutes, always keeping an eye out to see if anyone was following me.

Does a gringo have a greater or a lesser chance of being a crime victim?  So far I have never been accosted but nearly every member of my family there has been.  But I am almost always in a group and I am always definitely very aware, more than most of my family members. 

Cali has a great vibe to it.  Cali is a very friendly city towards foreigners.  If you don't stand out as an obvious foreigner, it's easy to blend in - wear a ball cap or billed headwear (man or woman!), look at the clothing styles of people on the street, and copy them.  And you will see people of all colors mixing freely, with little to no color barrier that I can discern, at work and at play.

@South American Voyager Thanks for the info. Analyzing this, comments from OsageArcher, my 10 days in Cali, and conversations with multiple people in Cali, Medellin, and Bogota...  combined with some consumption of news media (which is always focused on Bad Things, as usual 😄)... I do wonder if the high reported rate of crime in Cali is because THAT is where the educated and professional afro-Colombians live?

You see the same phenomenon in various parts of the world... anywhere there is a concentration of dark-skinned people (an area that might or might not have normal levels of crime compared to anywhere else)... in the USA, China, Middle East, Colombia... the government tends to "over-police" that area, resulting in more "contact", and thus more trouble. Then, non-black folks and even the media automatically label that area as "dangerous"... even if the levels of crime in the majority-black areas is same or even less than other areas.

Then, the government reduces or eliminates community-building and diversionary funding to that area, but increases policing (again), thus resulting in more delinquency, crime, police "contact", etc.

It becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy and vicious cycle.

Anyone who's read up on the history of afro-Colombians will see that the Colombian government does NOT like it when black people get educated and try to improve their lives/communities without resorting to crime (that is, not giving cops the usual easy excuse to oppress locals)... but by voting, social and civic activism, protesting, etc. The govt. tends to NOT listen to their requests, but send more police to intimidate the protesters and "shut those monkeys up" 😒 So in the eyes of everyone else who doesn't give a rats  ass about the lives of black people, but only mindlessly consume the 1-sided propaganda broadcasted by the government and mainstream media, "Cali and that area in general is full of crime and bad people, no one should go there" 🤷🏿‍♀️

Conversely... that's why the government doesn't bother the afro-Colombians here on the coast... almost all the ones here are poor, poverty-minded, willfully ignorant, uneducated, lazy, petty-criminal type of afro-Colombians with no sense of cultural history or pride. The same ones who actually cheer on the disgusting blackface performers during Barranquilla Carnaval 😡🤮

So anyway, I digress... yes, the raw statistics about crime in Cali say one thing, yet one must take a step back, and analyze things more holistically (just raw numbers don't always tell the truth).

PS: However, I certainly hope I don't report back in a year with my shoe in my mouth... or worse, don't report back at all because I got randomly murdered in Cali, LMAO!! 😅