Digital Nomads from the Uk

Hi All, Has anyone from the Uk on a DN filed their taxes in Brazil yet? I'm so confused as the double taxation treaty has been signed with the UK  but is not yet in force? I'm concerned I am gonna be hit with a hefty bill and want to be fully prepared if I am! I am still paying taxes on all my UK income ( employment and rental income) and will continue to do so.

Can someone also confirm if I arrived on September 2023.. i don't pay tax on anything in Brazil until March 2024 (183 days) at that point I will start to pay .. I will then have to file a tax return before April 2024?

any help for an absolute tax novice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

steph

Hi Steph - I think the DN visa is irrelevant to this question.

I have been advised by my attorney that double taxation (ie being taxed twice on the same funds) is expressly forbidden by the Brazilian Constitution.  Therefore your taxed income in the UK should not be taxed in Brazil.

I suspect, due to this, that the double taxation treaty will actually be of more benefit to Brazilians in the UK, than to Brits in Brazil.

You will still have pay taxes in Brazil on any income here, and to file the annual IRPF from your Brazilian bank account, but you can transfer funds here from the UK without risk.

02/14/24 @sshearing.  Hi, Steph.  If you're a real Digital Nomad, your BEST bet would probably be to spend no more than 180 days a year in Brazil, then 150-170 days a year in another country that also won't make you a tax resident for staying less than half a year, and the balance of your time visiting family and friends at home.  That way, you'll only have your British taxes to worry about. 😉

Your second best bet if you want to be in Brazil full-time is to find a Brazilian accountant you like and trust in the city where you're living, and discuss your situation with him or her.  You're right:  it sounds like you won't have to file Brazilian taxes until April 2024 (or later -- the filing date has been delayed because of covid for a couple of years, and is delayed this year, too).  Whether you make monthly payments or pay your taxes annually when you file is something to discuss with your accountant, and will depend on what s/he thinks is your best professional description, and what works best for you.  There's some flexibility there, which your accountant will know how to use to your benefit while staying within the law.

@Peter Itamaraca thank you so much peter! thats a weight of my mind! Thank you!

@abthree thanks! unfortunately leaving and coming back isnt an option i am not sure my partner would be best pleased ha ha

@sshearing

That was nice thought about you...ha ha

02/14/24    @abthree thanks! unfortunately leaving and coming back isnt an option i am not sure my partner would be best pleased ha ha

-@sshearing

Then Option #2 should work just as well for you.  All the best.

@abthree What's the filing date this year? It's normally mid April right?

02/14/24  @abthree What's the filing date this year? It's normally mid April right?   

-@jasonlovesdogs

Pre-covid, it was April 30.  It was allowed to slip during the pandemic, and apparently the new standard is that declarations can be filed between March 15 and May 31, so the effective deadline is now May 31:

https://einvestidor.estadao.com.br/rada … rega-2024/

Im struggling to find an accountant who know what they are doing in regards to DN recommendations much appreciated! thank you!