Health Insurance for retiree

My wife are residents in the US and are on Medicare and have a supplemental insurance plan. Question, any ideas of what the first year of insurance will be for persons already in their retirement years? We are seriously considering becoming expats in Portugal and would welcome any advice about this subject.

If you're referring to US Medicare, you should check your insurance company's contractual conditions regarding cover abroad. If you want to know about health insurance companies in Portugal, almost all insurances have withdrawal periods (períodos de carência) and age limits of up to 75 years. MGEN.pt has no age limit and is widely used by expats because of this.

Very helpful Johnny, I will look into this company, thank you for your assistance.

You can find more about MGEN here:

Private Healthcare System in Portugal

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=914196

You can try to connect with Helena @ winsurance.   My husband (56) and I (59) hope to retire in Portugal next year and we've started our research.  We are in Cailfornia.  Health insurance is of utmost importance to us due to pre-existing condition and was concerned about this 1-year waiting period that I've read about.  I was surprised by how comprehensive her responses are to my questions.  You can email me directly at [link moderated] and I can give you her email address.  If you want, I can even give you a copy of the MGEN quotes she provided to me.  Note though that yours might be different if you're older or younger than we are.  But at least it would give you an idea and also what's included in the 3 choices.  There's basically three choices:  essential, ideal and total.  We're planning on choosing Ideal when that time comes up for us.

Moderated by Bhavna 2 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

https://www.mgen.pt/familias

4 choices: Base, Essential, Ideal, Total

@sfaznpinoy

Thanks for the reply, but the forum blocked your email address but yes, we are interested in the information you can provide on the insurance MGEN. We too have the same concern about the waiting period and pre-existing conditions and need to nail all of these down before we make the final decision to relocate to Portugal.

I did find the WINSURACE website and thank you for sending me that information. Safe travels

Donna and Larry Miller