NHR residency status

Hi, my boyfriend and I moved to Lisbon and started working in August. I´m a Portuguese citizen since my mom is from Portugal but I was born and grew up in Cyprus, this is the first time ever working and paying taxes in Portugal. My boyfriend has a UK passport and has a manifestacao de interesse done by his employer. We still didn´t hear anything from SEF regarding an appointment for the residency. Since the NHR deadline is the 31st of March, can he still apply with just the manifestacao de interesse? He has everything else (NIF, a local address connected to his NIF etc).

Also I read somewhere that Portuguese citizens who haven´t been tax residents in Portugal for the last 5 years can still apply for the NHR, so I was wondering if I qualify since August 2023 was the first time I paid taxes in Portugal.

Looking forward to your advice!

Hi @nikichristofi7,

What is known is what is written here:

https://www.newco.pro/en/blog/the-ultim … the-nhr-20

But there will be elections on 10 March 2024. I don't know if these policies concerning the NHR will be maintained or if they will be changed...

If you became tax resident last August, apply for the NHR tax status immidiately. The deadline is 31 March.

I applied for mine in November 2023 but it is still not processed. Anyone else with a similar experience or knows if the delay is deliberate ?

@James M76,

As a general rule, the AT Finanças takes 2 or 3 days to decide on the application for registration as an NHR. So I find strange that you haven't had an answer yet...

With regard to NHR status, there will be a new government (right wing) next April which is much more favourable to maintaining this NHR status, unlike the previous one (left wing) which had set these following deadlines:

https://expresso.pt/economia/impostos/2 … 5-0c62ce0c

But as for now nothing is known about whether NHR status will be changed or maintained...

@JohnnyPT

"right wing"....  🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Essentially, just "right" of Mao Tse Tung being politically traditional right wing in any true and traditional sense of that term.

Portugal has always been and will continue to be " hard left " and will continue to pay the economic and social price for that ongoing devotion.

@slugsurmamates,

Your post is out of context, incorrect and 50 years out of date... Be thankful that your country didn't have a dictatorship for over 55 years, which then fell to pieces, and then those few following years were usurped by Mao's friends, fortunately for a short period of time...

What you say here shows that you don't know the political past of the country you live in and the current party system. Parliament 2024: left 40% , right 60 %.

When you don't know, it's best not to comment, OK? That way you don't show ignorance...

@JohnnyPT thank you for that. Every time I send an enquiry I am met with the same response below:

Requests are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. We inform you that due to the high volume of requests (thousands) allegations received in the 4th Quarter of 2022 are being analyzed. You presented your allegations in November 2023 and are awaiting their turn to be analyzed. As soon as there is a decision you will be notified.

Kind regards

AT- Tax and Customs Authority

At some point I had to ask if it is a generic response because it has been the same response all the time.

Any guidance on how else I can follow up ? Would getting a lawyer at this stage of the application be of any help ? For them to follow up on my behalf.

@James M76,

I think you can check your NHR request here (option "consultar"), maybe you will be able to follow your process.

https://sitfiscal.portaldasfinancas.gov … aohabitual

The analysis is on their side. The lawyer is not needed here.

Well, the status has remained the same since November 2023 and we are now heading to May 2024. Not sure if anyone has waited this long and if they know what could be the problem.