How dangerous is living in Dorado?

Looking to move to PR but ive been robbed in the past in san juan.  i wonder if its gotten any better and how safe or unsafe it is these days to relocate with my kids

Hello Livlynet,

Welcome to Expat.com1f600.svg

I am sorry to hear about your past experience in San Juan. It is understandable to have safety concerns, especially when considering a move with your children.

Hopefully, you find someone who can enlighten you.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hello Livlynet...About 35 years ago I was also robbed at gunpoint at night, in my driveway here in PR...a few hours later police came to my home to tell me they found my car, it was still running since no one could figure out how to turn it off. The 2 teens that stole it robbed a jeweler. At any rate shortly after that we moved Boston, Ma. No more than 2 months past a I was robbed again in the plain of day at the train station, we then moved to Florida..my point is sometimes we are at the wrong place at the wrong time. We retired here PR and are having the best times of our life. Being aware of your surroundings I think is the best we can ever do. Get to know your neighbors, we all look out for each other. Life continues to move on. Personally, I'm impressed how quickly Police in PR make arrests and take quick action. BTW, we stopped living in the city....

@techdispatch LOVE your response to this question!  Unfortunately, these types of crimes can happen in any big city in America or the world for that matter.

Happy to hear you are enjoying life in PR and we can't wait to do the same.  Surprisingly I feel much safer in PR than I do here in FL, Miami specifically and that includes the San Juan area.  It's so unfortunate but really it can happen anywhere anytime. 

@Livlynet

Many subdivisions are gated communities in Dorado.  This  is where we live in Dorado. Nothing even remotely strange has happened since moving here. The area is very safe. However, we always watch our surroundings.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anywhere where you can just ignore what is around you anymore.

100% suggest Dorado as a nice place to establish yourself in Puerto Rico.