EP Query - A misunderstanding or something doomed to fail?

Hi Everyone,

I am a Malaysian who applied to a variety of Singaporean companies. Presently, I obtained an offer for SDG4,200.00 per month as an in-house legal counsel / legal executive. On this, I was made to understand that the company does not have a quota for an S-pass and will only be able to go with an Employment pass (this was made clear on 2 separate occasions).

Having done my own research, I note that there is a minimum of at least SGD5,000.00 (that scales with age). Despite my queries to the potential employer, they noted that this is not an issue as they did their own assessment on MOM which said I am likely to obtain EP with the offered salary as I am 'Malaysian'. No further explanations were given nor were there any legal basis pointed out to me to justify the exception based on nationality.

As it stands, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place as the potential employer is insistent that there will be no issues with the EP (from a salary standpoint - they even noted that they managed to obtain EP for another Malaysian candidate in the past). Further queries will likely only result in a hostile relationship before the commencement of work.

My query now is whether there is any basis to what the potential employer is saying or assuring. Or is the EP doomed to fail and the potential employer is negligent in their understanding of the immigration law?

Thank you everyone!

There seem to be unpublished, but lower salary thresholds for Malaysian employees.

I wonder, though, why so many Malaysians are willing to work below their market value?

@beppi

Hmm, I think this would be dependent on the specific context of that particular candidate and their experience level (relative to the local market).

That said, logic dictates that any candidate would only accept an offer that is more beneficial than what they presently have (relatively speaking), and the said benefit may not necessarily always be in the form of immediate monetary gain.

Going back to the present query of a Malaysian candidate, I suppose that it depends on (1) whether the said Malaysian candidate intends to stay in Singapore for the foreseeable future, or (2) whether he/she only intends to work in Singapore to gain exposure and plans to return to Malaysia (in the not-too-distant future). In the case of the latter, it would mean that any money earned and saved in Singapore would be at least tripled (based on the present current rate) when spent in Malaysia (i.e., monetary value assessed from the perspective of Malaysia's living standard and market condition).

@beppi I can vouch for this.

In the past when MOM Self-Assessment tool was still available for public, I used to check if my current salary at the time will qualify for EP for next renewal. We can then check for minimum salary needed to qualify for EP by entering different salary until the tool says that we are qualified.

Interestingly, with the exact same set of data (age, university, industry, etc.) and only difference in nationality, I always get lower EP salary threshold when I put Malaysia as nationality. It is likely that even with the new COMPASS framework, the unpublished lower salary threshold for Malaysian is still there.

I can confirm what @beppi and @ajosshi said. Malaysian nationals have a different treatment for EP. The min salary requires is lower than other nationals. This is not published anywhere but if you try to apply for an EP you will still get approved.