Cost of living in Dominican Republic in 2024

Hello everyone,

As every year, we invite you to share your experience regarding the cost of living in Dominican Republic, and if possible, in the specific region or city where you live. This will help members who are planning to relocate in Dominican Republic.

Here are some points to guide you; the idea is to provide average prices for each category:

When it comes to housing, what is the cost of renting or buying an apartment or house in Dominican Republic?

How much do you pay for public transports such as buses, subways, trains, trams, or taxis?

Could you share the average monthly cost of your grocery shopping?

What is the cost of health insurance? How much does a medical consultation cost in Dominican Republic?

What are the tuition fees for children?

What are the average monthly costs for electricity, gas, water, internet, and phone plans?

For leisure activities, how much does it cost monthly?

If there are other expenses you find relevant, please feel free to share them!

Thank you for your contribution.

Expat.com Team

Yes time for our annual update on pricing.

Some generalities:

Living in a tourist areas costs more when you live in tourism dominant areas.

Anything imported costs more than what's produced here.

Labor tends to be inexpensive by expat standards.

Fuel is the same price across the country. It is govt subsidized yet still expensive.

Electricity provided by the EDE distributors is the same regardless of where you live. Private suppliers charge whatever they can.

Water tends to be inexpensive but we are seeing supply issues.

Housing costs change from area to area, be aware of gringo pricing.

Public transportation changes from area to area and is generally inexpensive but not necessarily safe!

Taxis in tourist areas are much more expensive.

Feel free to add to this "general" list.  Later will addy specifics!

My cost of living is reduced by 45% every year when I leave Victoria, B.C. to live in La Romana, D.R.  I share a spacious 4 bedroom villa in Buena Vista Norte with a friend. We split the $1000 / mth rent. it includes air condish, cable and gas. I pay $1500 / mth in Canada for a one bedroom apt.. I use $70 / mth in fuel for my car in the D.R. Insurance is $185.00 / yr.

Fine Rum is half price in the D.R. and food costs are marginally lower here. I pay $100 / mth for health care in the D.R. It's free in British Columbia. Canada has a severe housing crisis with retired and elderly people finding themselves priced out of the rental market, unable to afford monthly rents that eat up most of their modest pensions. One solution to their problem is to re-locate to a developing nation for 7 months each year. Save money and live in paradise.

Let's stay on topic please.

Thanks. Remember that there is a thread where any conversation is welcome!  You all are welcome to have the conversation just not in this thread.

I have had to visit Santo Domingo in the last year and very surprised the increase of costs for food, fast food or restaurants. Though malls and the related are busy with people!

Yes food in the capital has gotten more expensive, especially mid to upscale type places

@planner Yes indeed some of the nicest looking oceanfront residential houses in the Cabarete area for sure, have been listed on local DR Broker sites and many of them which i bookmarked over the last  3 years are still listed for sale at what i believe are inflation +++ prices.  I am in Cabarete now and grocery prices and restaurant prices appear to have gone up about 4-7 %  since last year this time however things that are imported appear to increased about 8-10 %

Always remember that  imported items are directly affected by the value of the American dollar against the Dominican peso.  In one year the  peso has gone from 56.27  to  58.80  alone! During the year it dropped to  54 but then rose again.  Those all affect our pricing which of course NEVER  goes down, only up!

Hi all

If you not extremal healthy food or some fanatic

Monthly cost will be around 15000dop

Grocery

Gas electricity internet not more 5000 dop

I say San Pedro de Macoris

Not luxury condominium or other parts

But I don't like overpay:)

@Tomyroni and the key is where you live and your personal consumption, likes and wants to your budget ...:) prices are up worldwide..

BTW.  I wish my electric was only 5000 peso monthly...:)

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

Buy property in San Pedro de Macoris in town not guavaberry or juan dolio in

Town where stadium baseball is based

Can be in gated high  community I life in outskirt hood

No security nothing :)

I come from Poland village so I do not fear

Is quiet town

In day total safe

Cheap food dining room in 2nd floor in iberia superstore

Just check one day

A lot of rice's meats etc..

Price for quantity

But you can eat 300dop 400dop I tell you you can not eat all of you wish honestly 😉

I back april 2024 pernament where part you use to live?

Thanks for the suggestions for me the capital area works for me and my likes and wants

That's what's most important, what works for you and or your family!   Find that!  What works for someone else might be horrible for you!

Living in Santo Domingo while maintaining an American lifestyle, my average cost of living encompasses various expenses. Working from home, my electricity bill amounts to approximately 7000 DOP, equivalent to around $150 USD per month due to constant AC usage (i run it all day). Groceries, which include a diverse range of meats, vegetables, and other essentials, cost me around 6-8K DOP every two weeks, ensuring I don't lack anything (this is completely filling up the cart). Additionally, internet and cable services, totaling 3300 DOP or $70 USD per month for a 50GB plan, contribute to my monthly expenses. For transportation, comprehensive car insurance sets me back around 30K DOP or $600 USD annually - car is paid so no other expense there. Furthermore, my mortgage payments amount to approximately $1100 USD, with an additional $125 USD dedicated to maintenance costs. Overall, this breakdown provides insight into the average cost of living in my area, reflecting the expenses associated with maintaining a comfortable lifestyle.

Total Monthly Expenses:

Electricity: $150

Groceries: $150-170

Internet and Cable: $70

Car Insurance: $50 (approx.)

Mortgage: $1100

Maintenance: $125

Gas: $70 per month (I don't drive much)

Cell phone: $50

Overall, the total average monthly expenses sum up to approximately $1800-$2000 USD for a very comfortable lifestyle.

We live in Río San Juan mountain area. Our expenses are a little different as we did many things to plan for minimal expenses long term. Don't pay electric as we are solar completely off grid. We grow alot of our own fruits and vegetables.  We have starlink internet DOP 2900 month. Car insurance DOP 49,500 yearly, gasoline aprox. DOP 15,000 month, groceries about DOP 20,000 month, dog food  DOP 8,000 month , natural gas about DOP 2,000 every 3 month, health insurance DOP 40,000 yearly. Entertainment mostly free cows, horses, beaches and enjoying our land.

@planner , where would you say the worst gringo pricing for ocean front

property is widespread?  Or is it basically most all desirable beachfront single family houses/properties and big mountain farms with views that are gringo-priced???

I am not saying anything is "gringo" priced. How about understanding the laws of supply and demand!

High expat demand = higher pricing.

High local demand = higher pricing.

@Alfonso Ayala

Hi Alfonso. Sorry, this is for two people? Medical insurance for 2, right?

@Alfonso Ayala where do you get your health insurance?

@Herman.Ka

Yes 2 people male 62 and female 65

@Juliettelz

Larimar/Senasa

Fyi insurance bought before age 65 is available and stays in place as long as you pay. Once you hit age 65 there is no local insurance currently available.  If this changes I will update!

Insurance ranges from around 1,000 RD a month to well over 9,500 RD per person per month depending on company and coverage chosen!  Those are base policy charges without add ons or extra premiums for risk.

Good afternoon. my partner has her cellular as she is a Dominican citizen. We are moving to Punta Cana in January 2025 hopefully. She is over the age of 65 and so I have a question about health insurance for her.

What kind of insurance would she be able to get there in the Dominican?

I thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

As a Dominican over 65 I believe she can get Senasa basic coverage

Thank you for your speedy reply Planner.