Moving to the Netherlands from the UK

Hi There,

I wondered if somebody could help fill in some questions for me. I'm interested in Moving from the UK but with Brexit changes, Visas' and never having moved country before I wouldn't know where to start!

I've worked in the IT field for 6~ years now and saved up a good amount of money so any temp accommodation etc wont be a problem. If I was to locate a place (I imagine hotel or airbnb temporarily as housing is awful anywhere) and located a job would I be eligible to stay for longer than the 90/180 days with a different visa (than the Schengen visa) as I'm now employed and with housing in the Netherlands? Or would this require the company to 'sponsor' me in some way? If so how likely is a business to do this? (I imagine no fast food chain would for example :D). If I could do it myself at that point without any sponsorship, how would I do this?

I love the country and just want to find a way to stay there that doesn't involve coming back to the UK (unless necessary) lol

If there is anything I got wrong or am missing from this process please let me know :)

Hi - thanks for your question.

The short answer is from your brief description you'll almost certainly need a visa sponsor. See these NL gov't pages for more info (UK specific, work visas).

However, I've known a ton of UK citizens that had ties in other EU countries (Ireland, etc) through their spouse or other family that were able to swap or add citizenship to get EU citizenship, which allows you to live and work in any EU country. For example, I'm American and have a Dutch work visa but am doing some research on the Italian side of my family to see if I can qualify for Italian citizenship to give me more flexibility while living in the Netherlands. Not sure if any of this applies in your situation or not.