Iraqi Local Content Policies , Advantages and Opportunities

Hi everyone,

I am hoping this topic is okay to be discussed on this forum, if not  please let me know and I will be happy enough to withdraw from it.

I am seriously seeking information on what Local Content Policies and Laws(if there are any laws) that local Iraqi services firm in the OIl and Gas sector (especially in the Basra area ) can take advantage of over Multinational or Foreign companies.

For example in Nigeria, the Local content policies is quite developed and has been signed from just been a policy statement into law. Producing companies has certain  laws  they must  abide by when giving out contract to services firms. Such as

Multinational Service firm must have a local service firm as technical partner to meet up with bidding requirements and certain aspect of the job will be delegated to the local services firm should the bid be successful even if the Multinational service firm can perform those aspect. All these are clearly outline from the bidding and tendering process.

Most of the services a local firm can perform adequately  are hardly giving to multinationals ( even if they had better equipment and skills to do such service), for example a local firm may have just a Wireline Logging Unit but have no logging tools (for those familiar with this service) , a multinational can be compelled to run any of their services using their tool with the local company Wireline Unit as long as it can perform the job just  adequately and achieve the desired objective (this is very applicable in cased hole services).

In essence Multinational services firm can not run any contract here in Nigeria without a specified percentage quota of the proposed  revenue going to a local service firm through a well structure  well structured Local Content technical partnership collaboration.

Apart from financial benefits mentioned above , through such Local Content Laws , skill acquisition, technology transfer and trainings from the Multinational to Local service firm has been well stipulated. There is a Commision in Nigeria that closely Monitor, measures the progress and enforces Local Content Policies.

I know the Policies' in Saudi Arabia  and Brasil are well developed and exploited.Although the structure in these countries may have a different way of enforcement and application but they provide local opportunities and advantages for their local firm.

Does anyone have any information or idea about what the situation is in Iraq  they can share ?

Also if you have any materials articles videos or write up you can recommend for me to go and see will be appreciated.

Although I have seen some in Youtube which really cover a much broader area than I am interested in  (such as the The Iraqi Government sharing formula of Oil revenue with IOCs)  .

My service area of focus is the Wireline Logging Service.

Any information you can give will be helpful

Thanks