Filipino - Egyptian wedding in the Philippines

Hello, everyone!

Would like to ask if someone with Egyptian groom was able to get married in the Philippines. How can we get his legal capacity to contract marriage in the Egypt embassy in Manila? What are the requirements, process, how much, and how long does it take? Thanks in advance 🤗

Make an appointment with the embassy, or just drop in.

Hello, everyone! Would like to ask if someone with Egyptian groom was able to get married in the Philippines. How can we get his legal capacity to contract marriage in the Egypt embassy in Manila? What are the requirements, process, how much, and how long does it take? Thanks in advance 🤗        -@Sarah Mae

He will need a CENOMAR certificate of no marriage issued by Phils PSA. There are local PSA offices everywhere. He will work with them and may not even need documents from his home country. Phils and Egypt have full diplomatic relations and Egyptians are treated no differently than Americans, euros etc. in getting married here. So rather than consult Egyptian Embassy in Makati first, go to your PSA office first and any foreigner you know who has gotten married here can probably help. I got married here in1988 but things were much different then, no CENOMAR just permission from the Bishop and nothing more. Back then, Catholic marriages were recorded and marriages made outside the Catholic church or at city Hall were considered invalid. I had been divorced in the USA and the Bishop didn't recognize that but neither did he recognize my first marriage in a Lutheran Church; the Bishop did not consider that valid so I was truly single 🙂.  I don't know what I would have done if first marriage was in a Catholic church but I think a sizeable donation to the diocese may have helped. Today, rule of statute law prevails and if he is divorced in Egypt, he will just need to show PSA his certified divorce ruling.

Back in 1994 I brought along 5 notarized copies of my divorce, took them to the US Embassy along with my future wife and letters we had exchanged over two years.  I wore my Moody Blues In Search of the Lost Chord t-shirt, his only comment was he heard they were touring playing with a full symphony orchestra.  Told him I saw them 3 times with full orchestra, nothing like it.  So he gave me the paperwork saying I was marriage material.  That was all we needed for a civil ceremony.  After my Lutheran marriage and divorce I joined the Catholic Church.  Spent a day with Father Peralta, priest in Santa.   Turns out since marriage is not a sacrament in the Lutheran church, it was ok for me to marry in the Catholic Church.  My buying a few fans for the church may have expedited the decision.  Got married on the 18th because when writing 18 it ends with an upward stroke.  Bad luck to marry on a day which ends on a downward stroke such as 1, 4, 7, 9 etc.

@mugteck

I agree, money seems to move things in the Philippines. Their version of Catholicism is more flexible.

Here in the USA I could not get married in the church even though my 1st marriage was not in a Catholic church nor to a Catholic. I would be required to petition the church for a dissolution which would have taken about a year and alot of beaurocracy. And cooperation from the ex.

It was also my experience that one must wait 10 days after applying for a civil marriage license to have the wedding.  This made sense because every aspect of the wedding took a day to accomplish.  A day at the church, a day purchasing gowns etc.  We hired a local to be our photographer and do a video.  When we arrived at their house, first thing was everyone asked everyone else how their family was doing.  My wife has 32 nieces and nephews scattered all over the world, Some of them had children.  So it took a while to get down to business.  They asked me what music we wanted for the video, but they had nothing I wanted.  Told them to use their professional judgement.  Then it was time for some snacks.  Later we were offered sodas.  Next was our preference to the pictures.  How many?  Group photos or individual pictures with the 20 sponsors? Etc etc.  Also wasted a day getting the invitations, had to list the sponsors just as they wanted them.  There was great discussion about in which order the sponsors should be listed.  The reception was to be in Manueva in our front yard.  About 300 people came, it was a 9:30 AM wedding, reception starting about noon.  My wife's teachers from the local school stopped In  over their lunch hour.  Was quite the busy 10 days leading up to the wedding.  Back then the tourist visa was only good for 21 days, right after the wedding took off for Manila to get an extension.  I could only move my flight back to December 8, after that all the flights were filled until February, as there was a January visit by the pope scheduled.