Bulgarian Driver License

Has anyone taken classes in Bulgaria to get Bulgarian driver license? This questions is mostly  to expats that do no live in  the EU and it is not possible to exchange their current driver licenses with Bulgarian ones.

Please share your experience. Can I take classes anywhere in Bulgaria or I have to take those classes where my address registration is? I will be living in a few different places the first year. Thanks you all:)

I wasn't aware that you needed to speak Bulgarian to do that ?  I know you have to be able to speak Bulgarian to get citizenship..

I can't say I have to much knowledge in this subject as it's to far down the road for me.

I presume you have residency ?

Phil

@TonyFF

I think most expats can get their old license exchanged. Is it really the case that Bulgaria won't do an exchange for your US license?

Taking Bulgarian driving lessons sounds like a scary prospect to me... an instructor shouting instructions at me in Bulgarian, plus prepping for a driving test in Bulgarian.

I'd rather get an IDP and keep my US license renewed, and take my chances with Bulgarian traffic police. :-) I'm rarely stopped, and when I have been, they want my car docs (registration, inspection, insurance) rather than my personal docs (residence permit, driving license).

Haha miss read it

I think we are both part of the Vienna convention so it's just a paperwork exercise for Brits to change over ... I have no intention of driving in UK again .. taxi and buses and walking  fir me ..   I can spend a lot of money on those and save a fortune on not having a  car. Insurance and road tax depreciation on the car.. repairs oh gives me a headache just thinking about it ..

Only EU members and Vienna conventions ask for exchange your license.  That is the law in Europe. You can keep your driver  license  from another country. There are classes in English and test in English.

I have checked. I just want to know if anyone has done it.

Only EU members and Vienna conventions ask for exchange your license.  That is the law in Europe. You can keep your driver  license  from another country. There are classes in English and test in English.
I have checked. I just want to know if anyone has done it.

-@TonyFF

Sorry but that's incorrect, EU citizens don't have to exchange their licenses.

USA Information

@gwynj

that is my idea; question is for how long? Not interested in exchaning my license but do not mind to get a Bulgarian one. Will do the darn classes- they give you a book to study in English to prepare you with the written test.  Some of the signs in Europe are different so a little review will do not harm: also some rules are different- for ex. you can turn right on red light in the US if clear( not in EU) etc.

Please advise if anyone has done it?

@SimCityAT

thanks I am very aware of this

In the Bulgarian laws I read that you cannot have 2 EU driver licenses ( in the past you needed to exchange them)

@TonyFF

I think that's a standard EU thing rather than a Bulgaria thing. I suspect there's nothing stopping you from getting 2 licenses by taking separate tests in 2 countries (other than cost/aggravation), but you definitely can have only 1 by exchange.

@SimCityAT
thanks I am very aware of this
In the Bulgarian laws I read that you cannot have 2 EU driver licenses ( in the past you needed to exchange them)

-@TonyFF

That is right, you can have only one EU driving licence at any one time. If you move to another EU country, you don't usually have to exchange your driving licence for a local one. However, you can voluntarily exchange it for an equivalent one in your new country of residence if you wish.