Question about car insurance

HI all,

I got my prolonged residence card !!!!  Yeah:) But I am back in the USA.

Returning to Bulgaria in April.

I will be shipping my car to Bulgaria- I  have international driver permit and I read that I can drive a car with foreign plate up to 6 months there. I will get Clements worldwide insurance.( it covers only my car).

Can I get this insurance ГРАЖДАНСКА ОТГОВОРНОСТ, the Bulgarian mandatory one since I need liability insurance in Bulgaria?

And does the above cover my car as well? Do I need both? Clements is only $500/year. The Bulgarian insurance  is much less.

R u shipping only your car in a container, or furniture as well? What's the estimate u got and which company will u be using and from where in the states? We r in Texas and want to move to Bulgaria as well, but we r thinking of selling the car in USA 🇺🇸. R u retiring or it is a work transfer? Can u write ✍️ me a pm regarding on how much you r planning on living there per month please 🙏 and in which region? Ty in advance

Merry 888 see my PM

@TonyFF

Yep. Got it. Ty. Best wishes and good luck

Please update 🙏 on the move

Shipping companies,  prices, first impressions of Bulgaria, property prices over there, rent vs buying,  monthly budget, food prices,  etc

@TonyFF

I don't think you can get the Bulgarian insurance before your car is re-registered here with Bulgarian plates. (I tried a couple of brokers when I drove my UK car over. They said they could offer the insurance based on the VIN number, but only for 30 days. Enough to cover me to get the car ready for inspection and registration in Bulgaria, and then return to get the insurance updated to the new plate.)

@gwynj

I presume that I could get fully comp insurance in Bulgaria or I won't be buying a new car ?

@TonyFF

Will your current insurance provider cover you in Europe for 3 months? When I brought my van from the UK to France, I could drive it Europe for 90 days, so I used that until the 90 days expired and then took out a French policy. I didnt have the French registration at the point, but they gave me a reference to quote, until the new registration number arrived. Obviously I realise you're a lot further away than I was and US Insurers may not do that, but its certainly worth asking.

@TonyFF

you can get civil liability insurance with your native plate

you have 6 months to get your BG plate - don't leave it til the last minute, this is the land of hoops and hurdles.

make sure that you have owned your car for 6 months before it gets here - otherwise you'll pay 10% duty plus 20% VAT

You'll need to declare your shipping costs and still write a begging letter to the chief of customs as to why he should waive the fees!

For your licence transfer (which can't be done until you've been here six months) make sure you bring a certificate (original) for your education acheivement at the age of 18ish - you'll need to have it translated and notarised...

and if you are colour blind, they'll only let you drive cars and bikes, whatever your current licence might say - but you will get a certificate to say you're colourblind - I've framed mine ;-)

can't remember if you can get fully comprehensive insurance before you have a BG plate - it was complicated and some insurers were a straight no - I think I could, but risked it for the 3 months between my home cover expired (3 months) and getting the BG plates

@TonyFF

one more point, check your vehicle registration certificate to see if you have an entry in the "type approval number"

if you haven't then there is an extra hoop to get through, you can't register the car in the EU without it

My car is an American built Ford Mustang and despite having been imported when new from US to UK (when UK was in the EU) there was no entry in that box...

600 Lev is a small price to pay to get the number!

@gwynj

I am planning to have the car temporarily in Bulgaria. So my question is: isn't there a short term insurance?

I am not interested to buy a car in Bulgaria while there. I have European car so I am sure it will meet the EU requirements. Even my odometer is in kilometers.

Wow, thanks for this overwhelming response. For whoever doesn't know my wife is Bulgarian( but we live in the USA). So she will be the one to deal with customs. We will not pay anything to bring the car.    The car is old but super reliable and good, I have proof of years of insurance and the pink slip( which is certificate of ownership). Since we are not sure if we will stay permanently we want everything to be temporary at this point.

@Erm1ntrude

I do not understand " type approval number". ????

@Erm1ntrude

I'm sure I've read somewhere that you no longer need the certificate of education. I left school before my 15th birthday, so I have nothing from school. I did an access course as an adult, which is equivalent to 2 A Levels, so I'm hoping that will suffice if necessary. I wish I could remember where I'd read it....🤔

@TonyFF

i think you have most bases covered...

https://www.vehicle-certification-agenc … -approval/

possibly explains it

my UK van has a number in that field, my Mustang didn't - it;ll be on your registration certificate somewhere

@grumpyoldbird

i needed one in August 2023

@grumpyoldbird

I do not understand the education thing. Are you referring to high school diploma???

I have been a driver for many decades.

@TonyFF

https://www.mvr.bg/opp/en/administrativ … garian-one

@TonyFF

a copy of a document for completion of at least the first high school stage of secondary education, and in case the education was completed in a foreign country - a certificate under Art. 110, para. 2 of Ordinance No. 11 of September 1, 2016 for evaluating the results of student learning. Persons who have completed primary education or Grade X by September 26, 2017 under the repealed Public Education Act, instead of a copy of a document for having completed at least the first high school stage of secondary education, submit a copy of a document for having completed at least primary education.

posted a link above but under review - look up mvr dot bg

@Erm1ntrude

What's the thing with the education document ?  Do you have to have one ?  In UK you only get one it you pass exam not because you attended and completed like in Philippines.   And it's 48 years ago since I left eek where did it all go .

Phil

@philip Mckay

There is no longer a requirement for a certificate of education, it was changed in September last year. You will need a medical certificate though and if you want to keep any hgv, trailer categories you will also need a psychological certificate.

You can check the requirements on the GovUK page or the British Embassy Sofia Facebook page.

@TonyFF

Me too. Been driving for 48 years, but I was told that you need proof of education to get a Bulgarian driving license. I have read somewhere that this no longer applies, but I've read so much stuff from so many sources, that I can't remember where I saw it! 😵‍💫

I think that a lot of questions will be answered once we finally get there. I remember when I went to South Africa there seemed to be a thousand things that you needed to do but they all fell into place once you got there and started living the life. From what I have seen and read some of the Estate agents seem to be best source of information about what you need to do.

@TonyFF
Me too. Been driving for 48 years, but I was told that you need proof of education to get a Bulgarian driving license. I have read somewhere that this no longer applies, but I've read so much stuff from so many sources, that I can't remember where I saw it! 😵‍💫

-@grumpyoldbird

@grahamstark1

Many thanks for the info Graham..  I'll just have to forgow the HGV but as I don't think I'd pass the phycological exam 😱. I used to love my trailer tent and caravan trips all over UK and down to Spain once I got fed up with UK weather.. don't think I'll do that again just to expensive to buy these days they want £1000 just for a trailer tent! 

@Merry888

Omg.so many questions need answering

Google

Or best way is to book a small vacation

And ask directly.

I don't believe you want to move to BG without even knowing the price of a pint of milk...sorry to be so exact.

@Merry888
Omg.so many questions need answering.   

-@wtruckyboy

Inquiring minds need to know! :-)

@Merry888

Just one man's opinion, of course, and no guarantee I'm right. :-) But I would sell everything over there and start afresh in Bulgaria, AFTER I've found a place to live (and I know how much space I have). I'd also find a reasonably-priced immigration attorney who can prepare my D visa application TOGETHER WITH a local health insurance policy AND  a rental contract for immigration purposes. Then I can explore the country and view properties at my leisure AFTER I'm a resident, rather than being under pressure to get something quickly. As to costs, I'd aim for $50k-$100k in cash to buy an inexpensive property, and then $1,500-$2,000 per month to live on.

that is not a bad plan @Merry888

👍

I would like to give you my experience searching for insurance to cover my car -

YES, there are at least 2 companies that offer 3rd party liability insurance for Bulgaria:

The Bulgarian bulstrad dot com ( still waiting to get the details on this one but they said "yes, no problem")

The Dutch  alessie dot com -This one can provide 1-12 months coverage which can be extended ( "Territorial Limits:All European countries, including Russia (international Green Card)." Very nice. Perfect to enjoy Europe with personal car. It appears a little expensive but hey- nothing is too expensive if you come from California!

I still do not have the final quote, so we'll see.

I am still to verify also if they offer comprehensive insurance.

If not:Clemens International is another company that covers your own car - very good coverage. They are very reasonable. They are partner with my current insurance company with great reputation.

So if you are trying to bring your car from another country - it is absolutely possible ; you can drive in Bulgaria with foreign plates, international Driver's License  and home Driver's License( as Gwyny said)

You have long time to decide whether you want to change the plates to Bulgarian one.....

sorry Clements Wordlwide is what i meant in the previous post