Where should I even begin?

I receive 100% p&t from the VA and I am getting to the point mentally where I just can't handle the states anymore. Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic both offer retirement visas. Where should I even begin to look at Costa Rica? Id really like to be a short distance from the beach but would also love to buy something that is secluded with the mountain/jungle view with it.

@edwardguaschino

read blogs from retired gringos who have lived in costa rica for decades not newbies

Mountains aren't close to the beach. What do you mean "short distance"? 3km, 5km, or 300 meters? What are your priorities? Living in the densely populated, dusty, expensive gringo areas, gated communities, etc.? Or to live in the country, close to nature, ocean and national park, tranquil, with a low crime rate? I enjoy the latter environment for almost 3 years. I don't use a cheap jargon or imbeciles like "pura vida" but it is beautiful and quiet hear. Keep in mind that this country is expensive.

Hello.   You can find places like that along the southern Pacific beaches where mountains and forests are Really close to the sea.  Look anywhere between Jaco and Domincal.. and then inland... the closer you get to San Isidro (medium sized city), the closer you will be to modern day amenities .    In or close to San Isidro...you'll be close to hospital and other things (banks, pharmacies, shopping, etc)  and get to the beach is 90 minutes or less.   Closer to beach, more expensive...   So some homework and footwork is needed.   Halfway between would be Ideal.

Most expats find that they make a few trips each year (or more!!) to San Jose simply because it's a massive city and you can really find most anything there... and it gets better and better.   They have a store called EPA (more than one location) that makes Home Depot look like a third world nightmare.  Also, Furniture and lighting options are getting better and more 'attractive' all the time; as well as clothing and even food.  Food, as far as I'm concerned... is a 'chore' wherever you live... this place has the best bread, over here are Asian and Indian specialties; down there is great and reliable seafood... etc.  I'm from Philadelphia and I had to shop around there as well.  But sometimes the chore is an adventure and that's why I came here in the first place.

I hope you get more responses...  I'm sure there are locations that will fill in the boxes on your check-list.

Best of luck.

I always recommend that folks make two lists: first, needs; then, wants.

Figure out what you cannot get along without whether that's Internet access or a wide selection of wines and liquors. Acknowledge that some of those things that others might call "wants" are essential to your lifestyle.

Then decide what "wants" will make your life richer and which may compensate for something you're used to but which won't be readily available here. Whether it's a wide variety of ethnic foods or a temperate climate, the answer will help define your wants. Try to figure out what you're willing to compromise on.

Armed with some of those insights, you'll be better able to ask questions here and elsewhere about where to look.

Before coming to Costa Rica, Marcia and I lived on the northern Outer Banks of North Carolina. Summer vacationers fell in love with the place, as did we, but when they asked us about living there, I always urged them to consider two things: community and amenities. At the far northern end of the Outer Banks, near the Virginia border, there are virtually no neighbors (no community). All the homes are summer rentals. And it can be as far as twelve miles to the south to find the first loaf of bread or quart of milk. Do you really want to drive twelve miles south, left wheels in the water and right wheels on the dune, before you can have breakfast?