Temporary residency about to expire

Hi!

my temporary card will expired march 8th 2024 and I am currently out of the country. Was planning to be back end of 2024, is there anyway to apply for permanent card if my temporary have expired? What are the documents I would need to present? My entire family lives in Brazil and they all got permanent residency cards, would it be a problem if I am not in Brazil- due to documentation requirements- would I need to show I have been in Brazil?

12/30/23 my temporary card will expired march 8th 2024 and I am currently out of the country. Was planning to be back end of 2024, is there anyway to apply for permanent card if my temporary have expired? What are the documents I would need to present? My entire family lives in Brazil and they all got permanent residency cards, would it be a problem if I am not in Brazil- due to documentation requirements- would I need to show I have been in Brazil?         -@alela03

It's very doubtful that you'll be able to renew your CRNM if you're outside Brazil when it expires, so you should make every effort to return by mid-February at the latest to apply for a renewal in Brazil with the Federal Police.  If that is not possible, you should contact the Brazilian Embassy in Santiago for guidance.

With respect to documentation, as a Chilean citizen it should be relatively easy for you to obtain or renew residency because of Chile's affiliation with MERCOSUL.  Here are the documentation requirements:

https://www.gov.br/pf/pt-br/assuntos/im … ia-e-chile

thank you! i am guessing i will have to fly back to Brazil for valentines :) thank you for guiding me. i will have to renew my temporary residency one more time and then i could do permanent right?

1- Certidão negativa de antecedentes judiciais e/ou penais e/ou policiais, no país de recepção (dispensada para menores de 18 anos e observadas as regras de legalização de tradução aplicáveis) (clique aqui); —> is that to obtain in brazil or shall i get it from chile?

2- Declaração, sob as penas da lei, de ausência de antecedentes criminais em qualquer país, nos cinco anos anteriores à data da solicitação (dispensada para menores de 18 anos) (clique aqui); —-> this i could get in chile? i have been living in the US for the past 10 years but i think it might be easier to have it all through Chile since I am applying through Chilean citizenship (mercosur)  no? any info is appreciate!

12/30/23 @alela03 If you've been living in the US for the last ten years, you're probably going to need a FBI Background Check, and it will need an apostille from the US State Department. 

You should check directly with the FBI first.  But because of turnaround times and possible time constraints, you may find it worthwhile to obtain the report and the apostille through FBI Approved Channeler.  Here's the list of them:

https://www.fbi.gov/how-we-can-help-you … ubmissions

Hi Alela, I applied for Mercosur residency this year. Was this the residency you applied for during your first time in Brazil? Just wondering if you only need to renew the CRNM. My CRNM was issued with an indefinite residency term and expiration date set for 2032.

1- Certidão negativa de antecedentes judiciais e/ou penais e/ou policiais, no país de recepção: This is background checks issued in Brazil. You have to request two certificates (Estadual and Federal). Here is a page with links for each state.

2- Declaração, sob as penas da lei, de ausência de antecedentes criminais em qualquer país, nos cinco anos anteriores à data da solicitação: I provided background checks from Argentina, despite not having lived there for 8 years, and didn't have any problem. Remember to include the apostille (Apostilla de la Haya). Translation wasn't required. More info here: https://www.gov.br/pf/pt-br/assuntos/imigracao/duvidas-frequentes/autorizacao-de-residencia-e-registro-nacional-migratorio-rnm/e-necessaria-a-legalizacao-e

I wonder what would stop someone from renewing based on incidents with police? Traffic ticket? Minor crimes? Felonies?

@martinsan hola Martin! I applied for CRNM (got temporary residence card) are you over 60? (my parents are and they got the permanent card directly.  - lucky them!). So, I am going to buy a ticket and try to be there before it expires bc otherwise it might become complicated. I was hoping I could ask to get an extension, I believe there is a 50 days grace period or something like that after your card expires. I will try to figure, thank you so much for the links!!!

01/01/24  I was hoping I could ask to get an extension, I believe there is a 50 days grace period or something like that after your card expires. I will try to figure, thank you so much for the links!!!

-@alela03

Once you're IN the country, things may be a little more flexible -- not that I'd wait 50 days, or any unnecessary time though, if I could avoid it.  Getting back into the country on an expired card would be a much bigger problem, but if you arrive while your card is still valid and have all the necessary documentation with you, you should have a pretty easy time renewing. 

Best of luck, please let us know how it goes.

@abthree I cant find the article where it talks about grace period for interview, i think if I make the interview appointment before my card expire I should be fine, but trying to find the link. I am from Mercosur so i dont think immigration will give me headaches.

@abthree do you happen to know how long is the grace period for appointments? was going to get an appointment for march 20, my card expires the 8th of march

@martinsan hola Martin! I applied for CRNM (got temporary residence card) are you over 60? (my parents are and they got the permanent card directly.  - lucky them!). So, I am going to buy a ticket and try to be there before it expires bc otherwise it might become complicated. I was hoping I could ask to get an extension, I believe there is a 50 days grace period or something like that after your card expires. I will try to figure, thank you so much for the links!!!

-@alela03

I am not over 60. I was set up in the category "Acordo Brasil/Argentina" and that's why I obtained permanent residency. The documentation required is the same as for the Mercosur residency.

01/01/24   @abthree do you happen to know how long is the grace period for appointments? was going to get an appointment for march 20, my card expires the 8th of march        -@alela03

If you've already requested an appointment and March 20 is the earliest one they could give you, you'll probably be fine.  Just have proof (like the printout of your request) that shows that you made the request in a timely manner.

There's no "grace period" per se:  an applicant is expected to get to the PF before their expiration date.  If the applicant requests an appointment in a timely manner but the PF puts them off until shortly after the expiration date, the PF should recognize that the fault is partially theirs and not give the applicant any trouble.

If you're in the country on an expired card and the PF concludes that you've been pursuing other priorities instead of getting your renewal done ASAP they'll probably still process you, but you may have to pay a fine.

01/01/24 @abthree I cant find the article where it talks about grace period for interview, i think if I make the interview appointment before my card expire I should be fine   

-@alela03

I agree -- see post above.

Yes, a possibility is i might not get the permanent but the temporary again.

The solution is to get an appointment for march 20th before march 8th. Hopefully this works!

01/02/24    The solution is to get an appointment for march 20th before march 8th. Hopefully this works!

-@alela03

I'm afraid to ask, but I will anyway:  what's the significance of March 20, as opposed to an earlier date?