Electric cooker 2500 watts to plug into normal spain plug socket?

Hi All,

We have an old Country villa in Spain. The housing electrics were not good so the house recently has been completely re-wired to a good standard.

Due to some miscommunication with the electrician however, he forgot to create a separate circuit for the electric cooker.

Looking at the cooker, it is an old one, the Teka HWE 490 ME, The oven has a total power of 2550 watts, with a grill power of 1400 watts.

My question is, can I just connect the power cable from this old cooker to a normal plug and just plug into a normal plug socket in the kitchen to power the cooker?

Also running on the kitchen circuit are a lightbulb, a modern fridge freezer and a modern gas boiler (that needs electricity to power the display unit for it) also a kettle and toaster which are used occasionally. The kitchen is about 10 meters away from the main circuit board in the house.

So, would it be safe to use the cooker like this, or would it be too much for the circuit (I don't want to damage our new electric installation).

Any advice would be very much appreciated,

Trav

@Gettravelling

if you overload a circuit it will trip the fuse.  Assuming the installation  is professional then no damage

However from your limited knowledge as displayed by your post,  i would suggest you speak to the electrician who did the job

Thank you for the fast response. Yes tripping the fuse wouldn't be an issue, so it seems it could be okay, particularly as the cooker draws less than 3000 watts.

I am no electrician, but I agree, if it overloads the circuit, it will trip a fuse  and it might not trip it until you start vacuum cleaning and switxh on the kettle at the same time .

@ErikWeller

Thanks for the feedback, so if that is all that will happen, it sounds like it can be worth a try. We wouldn't use a vacuum cleaner on the same circuit anyway.