Finding a house in Italy

I moved to a flat in central Bergamo where I've been for three years. However this has been a disaster.

While the piazzetta is central and pleasant, it is a building site.

The design blocks the noise of the city, but I don't have a problem with that. It's a city. I expect some noise.

However either Italy has no noise laws, or, they're simply ignored. People smashing down walls, ripping up floors, operating carpentry workshops from their balconies.. it's endless.

Drip water from your balcony and you could be in trouble. However using a pneumatic drill in an apartment for months on end is perfectly fine. This seems a little inconsistent.

I work from home and so I need to know that I can actually do that. I can remain at home and not be forced to leave the building because the noise is intolerable.

So I need to find a semi-detached or detached house. Half of Italians live in flats, but half don't. Where are all the houses?

In reality there are lovely houses on the outskirts of the city but I don't need 350 sqm and a big garden. What I want is the typical "British" suburban house within walking distance of the centre.

In the whole of Lombardy I've managed to locate precisely one of those, which has now been let.

Obviously I'll need to look south. Location not important, the only criteria: semi-detached or detached, less than 1,000 Eur per month, able to have fibre broadband, and walkable to the centre/services (which rules out rural areas),

Where should I be looking?

@mark1121

Hello,

Feel free to create a "looking for" advert in the Housing in Italy section of the website so that you may receive some offers.

All the best

Bhavna

Sorry to hear this, I very much symphatize with your situation, as I can't stand noisy people or noisy places, and that is exactly what I am dealing with at the moment. I don't think there is a general knowledge of the amount of noise aloud in an apartment building, on the other hand I think people here are just loud and they just could care less about the noise they make. I am also looking for a place to buy, but a house won't do it for the same reason you mentioned detached houses are extremely expensive and huge, unless you look in the countryside outside the city, about the broadband that depends, we rented a house in the countryside and we used a mobile phone as a modem. Otherwise a top floor might be a solution. Although construction work can happen at any time in an apartment building, specially if there is a lot of apartments in it. I live close by Rome and rents for semi detached houses is over €2000 not very doable. Maybe ask around within your network, sometimes renting directly from owners can be a solution that might work and can fit your expectations of space and budget.

"It's not what you know, it's who you know" 1f603.svg

Sadly I don't know anyone who knows anyone.. to be fair, this is a city. I thnk what I need is a town.

I'm a developer so I need a fast, stable connection. Here in the city we have FTTH but Italy surprises with this - it's a lot better than Britain and more extensive, even in the mountain regions, but "the middle of nowhere" isn't going to be an option.

It's certainly a cultural difference, when work started the first time I asked my Italian friends if I should call the Police or the Comune and it was fair to say there were some very puzzled looks.

Most people are out during the day and don't hear it. The people having the work done move out temporarily, or haven't moved in yet, so they don't hear it. Everyone else in the piazzetta is forced to endure it. One stops, another starts. It has been like this for two years. It never ends.

My understanding is that in Britain we'd report a noise nuisance, they'd be visited and given a notice to stop; if they continued they'd be reported again by multiple people and they'd be prosecuted.

As I've started looking south I can find houses, but the country is so big that going to see just one, hundreds of miles away, is a logistical nightmare.

The moral of this story is that if you work from home or work nights: do not live in a flat in Italy.