Filling Prescriptions in Italy

Does anyone know how to go about filling a US prescription in Italy?

Hello BROWNELLLANDRUM,

Thank you for asking your question here. You are likely to find someone who can share more details with you.

All the best,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@BROWNELLLANDRUM

There are a couple of ways to fill a prescription in Italy that I have used.  Both seem to work well.

1) When I initially migrated to Italy I had my doctor in the US write out (type, so they were legible) new prescriptions for me to take with me.  I then went to the pharmacy (farmacia) and handed those to the person behind the counter and they were able to fill them.  I then paid the costs out of pocket (no insurance)...and since the prices were reasonable it wasn't to onerous a process.  When I needed refills, I simply took in the empty boxes (scatole) and asked for the quantity I wanted.  Usually you will need your "codice fiscale" card with you to buy prescriptions this way.

2) When I bought into the national insurance (tessera sanitaria) I went to my assigned doctor and she wrote out prescriptions (based on my medical history and a discussion about my health).  I then had to take these to the health authority in my town and they provided another document to return to my doctor, who then in turn wrote a note to the pharmacy about my prescriptions.  This is probably the best way to handle prescriptions in Italy as the system allows for some medicines to be covered by the national insurance.

I hope this helps.

@BROWNELLLANDRUM

yes how with insurance