My overall opinion on living in Mauritius.

I will be perfectly candid in giving my opinion (bearing in mind my views and opinions do not reflect those of anyone else).

Now that's out of the way, I'll be frank: Mauritius pre covid was a seemingly better environment and I am not certain if that experience would be attainable for me, personally.

I'd like to point out that I'm an indigenous Zambian who came to the island in search for work. Commonly, people do have mixed opinions on immigration, but i personally have never had a problem beyond the typical mundane questions and attempts to speak in French (I speak little but I get by).

My issues come in with slight nuances in interactions regarding customer service. I needn't type at length some issues to do with clear biases and stereotypical assumptions of individuals from "mainland Africa". After close to 5 years I mostly chalk it down to ignorances of different people, but that is not always the case but I end here on that.

Transportation is good and gets you to most places. You could live in the center and go to Me Morne and back by public transport. Only disadvantage lies in the operational hours of PSVs.

Night life seems reasonably concentrated in the north but that is understandable.

Typical forms of exploration or scamming individuals who are new or do not understand creole or French. Very commonplace when business is barter system related.

Safety generally seems fine depending on the area of choice. I used to do jogs in the evening in certain areas and it appears to be fine, so much so I jog listening to music.

Cost of living has risen and seems to be a bit of a concern for both locals and expats alike.

Don't get me wrong, the place is great, but I see heavy forms of familiarity or borderline favoritism lean on certain demographics, even on mundane things and more offen than not it's a matter of frustration rather than offence

Indeed, the cost of living has risen, but same goes for many other countries.

Lifestyle also has a big role to play.

What you say is about favoritism is true. Mauritius is a small place and resources are limited. Those who have access to those resources try to keep them within a closed circle.

Customer service, agreed, in many places is shoddy. It is hard to find someone who really takes their job at heart.

But compared to several other placed I have been, I am glad to be here.

The grass is always greener on the side you water it.

As an entrepreneur I make the most of what I have.