Anybody purchase a Genuino Sesmarias condo from ESCALA GLOBAL, S.A.

In 2022 I purchased a new condo (under construction) in the Genuino Sesmarias Garden development from a company called ESCALA GLOBAL, S.A. (a company out of Porto) in Portimão (Alvor) via their local sales agents.

After signing the contract and making all the required payments, I was alerted in June 2023, that I had two weeks to come to Portugal (I live in Canada) to select the finishing touches. When I visited, the construction did not look anywhere ready for finishes. However, I  proceeded to make my selections and asked the sales representative to document my selections and confirm any additional costs for upgrades. I was told they would get back to me in one week. I was told they would likely be finished the construction by the end of 2023 and I could take possession a couple of months after.

When I did not hear back from the sales agent after a month, I asked what was going on. I was told that the builder was not responding and that I should contact the builder directly. I contacted the builder several times with no response. I had someone local send me video of the construction site and they are still building but there has not been much progress in the last 6 months.

I have also contacted my lawyer in Portimão several times without a response.

I'm not sure if this is the usual practice in construction in Portugal, but I'm off-course getting nervous about losing my investment.

Has anybody else dealt with this company or experience something similar?  Can anyone offer advice on who I should try next?

Carlos

Hi Carlos 

I have in the past visited that project (Genuino Sesmarias Gardens) with intention of buying there. There are a few comments that I refrain from making.

Nevertheless, I am confused why the builder is named ESCALA GLOBAL for you. For me, they were introduced as LARSEGURO UNIPESSOAL LDA

I am hoping Johnny is going to advise us on contracts because I have come across some contracts that have been incomplete/invalid under the law

@carlos-sousa

Hi Carlos,

Yes. This is common in Portugal.

Timelines are never correct and delays are pretty common on constructions.

Escala Global is the construction company so why are they telling you to contact the builder? With who is your contract with? Genuino Investments (the promoters) or Escala Global (the builders)?

Who recommended your lawyer?

@Mydeliveries

Larseguro is a company with 1 year and has its business registered as buying and selling real estate.

They could have bought your condo and are now trying to sell it to you.

@Nia Queiroz

Larseguro was noted as the actual builder on paperwork given to me 

@Mydeliveries

I can't see their builders activity code. Only business transactions in real estate.

But without checking the documents I can't really tell.

Is their NIF 516798863?

They have the exact same fiscal address as Mfvias - Engenharia e Construções , Lda but with a different NIF: 516626230 that is a 2 yo company that was previous known by DUNAS ESBELTAS LDA.

All pretty dodgy to me.

Construction Companies often file for bankruptcy and re open with a new name.

the contract i have states Larseguro NIF as 516798863

and the address as Rua das alfarrobeiras lote 11

when my husband read the contract he made a comment that i thought was outrageous to say about such a nice portuguese person. And apart from telling my husband off i was very upset with him too. however I shortly realised that the common courtesy and hospitality and friendliness of the portuguese shouldn't ever automatically be seen as trustworthiness. its sad to think of what could have happened 

however there are a lot of real agents selling these apartments. maybe other buyers had no problems 

I am here in Vilamoura  for a month and was interested in buying a new villa. however after visiting and talking to few agent and lawyer decided to postpone due to similar issue, same villa same site and two agents  have different builder and different contract paper work, after showing the paperwork to two different lawyers (after paying their fees) both advice me to wait  just FYI

I have also contacted my lawyer in Portimão several times without a response.

-@carlos-sousa

Hi,

I find the comment about your lawyer very concerning, I assume you had them read the contract(s) and advise so they should be able to explain your various options if the builder/developer/sales agent  are having issues.

@Strontium

Hi @Strontium

I've been meaning to ask this question ever since coming to Portugal: Are lawyers required to have liability insurance? Can you hold them accountable for losses when proven that they did not advise correctly?

Many thanks

@Strontium
Hi @Strontium

I've been meaning to ask this question ever since coming to Portugal: Are lawyers required to have liability insurance? Can you hold them accountable for losses when proven that they did not advise correctly?

Many thanks

-@Mydeliveries

I am not going to answer your question directly because if you require legal advice then I suggest you consult an legal adviser and not take your legal advice from an online forum.  Normal people would, presumably, ensure that their legal adviser was competent and had liability insurance if they thought either was important to them - You have not been charged for this advice.  Have a nice day.

So if a legal advisor is listed on Ordem dos Advogados i would presume that is sufficient to say that they are competent. Am i correct?

@Mydeliveries,

All lawyers practising in Portugal have to be registered with the Portuguese Ordem dos Advogados . If they are all honest and competent, that's another issue.  But you can complain about a lawyer to the Ordem dos Advogados . Here's how to do it:

Solicitors, Lawyers & Administrative division of Portugal:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=941009

@JohnnyPT

thanks Johnny

I have purchased a property in Matosinhos with expected possession in July 2024.  has been postponed to Q1 2025 due to a city embargo (heritage building).  advised of issue promptly.  provided with quarterly reports.  Very reliable company (Qualive).  lawyers that I am dealing with both for my NHR status and my real estate purchase extremely professional (Tellus)

@Mydeliveries

Courtesy and hospitality and friendliness are never a sign of trustworthiness.  All scammers use those to scam you. Portuguese are no different. I am Portuguese and know what I am talking about. Specially in the builders industry. Their friendliness is directly connected with your money...

Nevertheless, the job of a real estate agent is to sell. If selling an unfinished property, it won't be their problem if the property isn't finished. By that time, they already got their share and have nothing to do with the business. They are just promoters.

@Mydeliveries

Lawyers have an insurance of Responsabilidade civil that can be use to compensate customers based on error, omission or negligence, but for that would be necessary to prove that they have participate on what caused the loss and that would be extremely hard to win and would take years in court.

@Mydeliveries

That would be great, but unfortunately to be registered at the Ordem dos Advogados, they only have to complete law school and the Ordem exame.

The does not translate in being honest, competent, reliable.

What you see the most in Portugal are incompetent lawyers and accountants who don't really are up to date with the law or know how to navigate the system.

@carlos-sousa

i was also looking to buy a property in the same lication and did a video call 2 days ago and it still looks very much like a construction site. If I proceed the contract is with “ESCALA GLOBAL, S.A“

Have you resolved your issues?

@carlos-sousa

Escala global scale is a construction company that is building in the Algarve and will certainly be the company that signed a contract with you. GENUÍNO INVESTMENTS is a global brand that is responsible for promoting its properties. For what I heard, they are builders with a lot of experience in the market and are very serious about doing business.

Delays in construction work are common practices in Portugal, mainly due to bureaucracy.

I am aware that there are other companies building in the sesmarias but none have a direct connection to Escala Global. They could be real estate agents trying to impersonate the company to gain credibility at the company's expense.

What I suggest is to try to get in touch with your lawyer or sending an email to the company.

@carlos-sousa

Escala Global is a construction company that is building in the Algarve and will certainly be the company that signed a contract with you. GENUÍNO INVESTMENTS is a global brand that is responsible for promoting its properties. For what I heard, they are builders with a lot of experience in the market and are very serious about doing business.

Delays in construction work are common practices in Portugal, mainly due to bureaucracy.

I am aware that there are other companies building in the sesmarias but none have a direct connection to Escala Global. They could be real estate agents trying to impersonate the company to gain credibility at the company's expense.

What I suggest is to try to get in touch with your lawyer or sending an email to the company.

@carlos-sousa - Carlos, my wife and I purchased in that complex as well (we made the commitment back in November 2022 - Lote 2) and to say we are disgusted by the speed with which it is progressing is an understatement. If you'd like to chat further please let me know. Can't figure out if you can Private message or not but we'll figure that out. Best of luck to you guys!

My mother, God rest her soul, lost her lifes savings on a condo project in Porto. Builder went belly up.

@carlos-sousa

Good morning, I am also curious about the reliability of this company (Genuino Investments). Have you always managed to solve your problem? Do you already have your apartment ready?

Compliments,

Liliana