Brazilian Music Memories

Is there a special song that you associate with an event / moment in your time in Brazil? I have two.

1). "The Rhythm of the Night" by Corona - 1993 - Playing when I first entered the Infamous disco "Help" (closed by the Rio City govt.) on Copacabana Beach.

2). "Please Felipe" - Brenda Russell, Paris Rain album -  2000 - Playing on my old fashioned portable CD Player on the 6hour Onibus trip to my wife's home from Fortaleza.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

Is there a special song that you associate with an event / moment in your time in Brazil? I have two.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg-@roddiesho

Great question, Roddie -- so many!

1.) Gostoso Demais, Maria Bethânia (1988).  This was the processional for our wedding in Oak Park, Illinois in 2017.

2.) Luar do Sertão, written by João Pernambuco, recorded many times by Luíz Gonzaga, a wonderful evocation of my beloved Northeast.   Gonzagão's 1981 duet of the song with Milton Nascimento is especially beautiful.

3.) Pra Seu Governo, (Lobo/Oliveira) Beth Carvalho, 1974.  Always brings me right back to my days in Sergipe and first love, among other things.

4.) Clementina de Jesus (Nogueira) Beth Carvalho, 1973.  Ode to the courage and accomplishments of Afro-Brazilians through a homage to one remarkable woman.

I could go on and on!

"Otherside" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers ...........

Circling GRU getting ready to land on my first trip there,  and I'm staring out the window at the endless skyline of Sampa's buildings, while this tune is blasting thru the headphones.

The other one is a funk rap with the line "chupa, chupa, picole com uvas"...........blaring over the sound system at this wild pool party at a resort in Porto Seguro.

Excellent question. For me "Brasil Pandeiro" from Novos Baianos "Acabou Chorare" is a special one. Also anything from seu jorge "musica para churrasco" album. Weird Pink Floyd covers bring back special memories. Also many Christian songs have a special place in my heart.