Health insurance - Keeping it while living abroad

Does anyone know  one can keep one's American healthcare plan whilst residing overseas? In tihs particular case, the heatlthcare coverage is provided through a former employer and once given up cannot be reinstated. Any information is helpful.

You should check with them, as most policies have a "significant change of status" clause the obligates you to inform them of any material changes in your situation. Even if you keep paying without telling them, you may find that the company will cancel the policy for non-disclosure later. In my experience its better to put your cards on the table, otherwise it's just stress and possible problems. Not legal advice, an opinion only.

@Perpetual_traveler Thank you! This is the kind of advice I was seeking.

@seamus452 you are welcome!

quick feedback on your specific wording "overseas": 'eveolved Social security" Countries like Belgium and definitely  Spain for example, will treat anybody knocking at a hospital door since healthcare (at least in 2006) is seen as a basic human right in Spain. 

On the other hand when I visited my friend in Arizona in 2001, a 30 min doctors appointment for a lasting sore throat-high-fever, was billed for 850$... Don't think my Belgian health Insurance was happy with that, but i was 100% covered, without even mentioning on forehand that I would visit the States for 5w...

So to conclude: worst case: even if your US coverage would try to find bureaucratic excuses not to pay you back...  the treatment cost you might have to pay in that case... would feel like a BLACK FRIDAY bargain for you... a bit like how Europeans are in pure unbelief about the concept of free refills :-D