Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Brazil and where to buy them!

National news has been reporting today that a Fulbright scholarship student came to Rio and died of Carbon Monoxide poisoning in an Air BnB that did not have a detector. What are the regulations for Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Brazil and where can you buy them?

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

Other than the usual retail online stores I don't know where you'd look. Maybe next time you're out driving around stop in to the local Bombeiros and ask them ?

Having said that, on the subject of Airbnb units, we have two apartment condos we live in, and both have 24" x 6" windows in the outside wall of the bathroom, right beside the gas heater for the shower. Said windows are fixed and cannot be closed. 6' over at the kitchen wall is another identical window above our gas stove, which we have never used in 20 years kkkkkkkkk.  In laws and wife said it's the law because we have gas. Not aware of any CO2 monitor laws.

We're currently looking for another property in Buzios or Cabo Frio. IMHO around 35% of the places listed for sale are poorly done ex-Airbnb suites that are  sh*tty and probably totally illegal conversions. No windows, poor floorplans, etc........etc........hopefully this guy didn't end up in one of those places in Rio, and without instructions how to take a shower.

Your best inhalation proof you can get is to get a unit, or house, that is well ventilated . Meaning large window frames, higher ceiling clearances.

Which by the way, are found on older properties. If you invest in the "new age" stuff out there, you are bound to be creamed. 

Folks, there is a reason architects of the old, had to be more resourceful. Go into any building circa 1920's 30's, 40's.  Anything predating the invention of Air Conditioning.

Air circulates better when the clearance is higher, windows are large and plentyful. 

A good example of this are the old New England Mills.  Soaring ceiling heights, large windows. Not energy efficient, |I concede, but perfect to allow fumes to leave the floor. Remember, those were mostly textile mills and shoe factories. A lot of cotton yarn and dust, and shoe glue. 

Stop being suckered by a building  whistles and bells, and being hell bent for the lowest acquisition  price. Look for cues that reinforce value!!!!  And the best of if, Brazzers of today don't get it. So these structures are a steal in terms of fair market comp rates.

@Gasparzinho 777 Well he`s dead now, so I can`t ask him, but whatever the set-up it was not safe.1f60e.svg

Roddie.......

There was another case of the same thing in another Airbnb in Brasil a couple of months ago as well........I can't remember the city, but, it was in the southern part of the country. This time an entire family died.

Tony.......

Our apartments are from 1957 and 1959.......both have 10' ceilings, big windows, and the open vent windows.

National news has been reporting today that a Fulbright scholarship student came to Rio and died of Carbon Monoxide poisoning in an Air BnB that did not have a detector. What are the regulations for Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Brazil and where can you buy them?
Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg-@roddiesho

Sorry for my delay, work has had me tied up. I took a quick look on Mercado Livre, they offer up a variety of carbon monoxide detectors.

https://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/mon%C … -carbono#D[A:Mon%C3%B3xido%20de%20carbono]

Roddie.......
There was another case of the same thing in another Airbnb in Brasil a couple of months ago as well........I can't remember the city, but, it was in the southern part of the country. This time an entire family died.

Tony.......

Our apartments are from 1957 and 1959.......both have 10' ceilings, big windows, and the open vent windows.

-@Gasparzinho 777

Congrats.  That is the hallmark. 

Other than that, and this only applies to single family buildings, ideally, you want the cooking gas bottle to be placed outdoors connected to the kitchen.   

Now, I have my inside, and I can't wait to fix this.   

Propane gas axfixiation is big around here.

If you live in an apartment building, this might be a non issue.   But single family homes, you want the gas steel bottle to be outside.

And the Gas utility company won't deliver us a pipe. Only Multi dwelling buildings, hospitals, but not single family domiciles.