Lonliness in Frankfurt

Well, I've been here since mid July and, despite visiting stables (drew a blank there and still not found a place to go out hacking a few times a month), trying to chat to people whilst out shopping and walking my dog, I'm still friendless and lonely.  I live with my partner but he works all day and, travels away quite a lot. It's Saturday evening and I am, once again, sat in, looking forward to Dr Who on tv.  Fortunately, I've got English tv otherwise I'd have lost my sanity.  I'm quite shy, find approaching people to chat difficult - but have forced myself.  I don't like crowds but would love to make a few friends in the area.  I had good friends in the UK who I regularly met up with to walk dogs, have coffee and a good chat, went to the cinema with occasionally and, often had round for dinner with or without partners or, of course, was invited to their house for dinner.  I'm not into crowds or shopping but love and desperately miss quiet but fun, good English chat, over lunch, coffee, dinners or drinks.  I love my German other half but am very lonely over here.  If anyone feels the same and would like to meet up for coffee and chat - do drop me a line please. I'd love to hear from you. I'm in the Kelkheim area but do have sat nav and have found getting around relatively easy so I'd be happy to travel.  If anyone else feels the same - perhaps someone (I'd be happy to help) could start an informal coffee/drinks morning/evening or something for lonely English speakers (I know I have to learn but am one of those who find languages almost impossible).  If we can gather a few positive responses, perhaps we could get together?

Hi Sally,

I wish I was in Frankfurt ;)

Hi Sally,

I just joined this expat forum as I'm moving to Würzburg in about 9 weeks time.  I was browsing this site and came across this post from you.  I wanted to get in touch because I'm moving to Germany to live with my partner and whilst I do find this exciting it's also pretty scary and one of the things I worry about is making friends and carving out a new life for myself, not to mention finding a job that a) I can do and b) like. I think integration (and ultimately getting fluent in German!) are key to making a happy and rounded life in a totally new place. But I can totally understand where you're coming from in feeling lonely as I'm really worried about that happening to me as well!

Have things improved since your last post?  I know Würzburg isn't exactly next door to Frankfurt but it's not the other end of the country, either.  I love dogs - I can't wait to to get my own dog when my circumstances permit it and I really miss my dog that died last year.  And I love Dr Who!

I hope you're not feeling so lonely as you were a few weeks ago.  Are you taking any German classes?

It would be good to hear from you :)