Vat on renovations

Hi all ,

lm just a bit confused, I am having my property renovated in the algarve, my question is do I  pay 6% vat or is it 23% - 6%  everywhere I've read gives conflicting information  can anyone help as to which one it is.

regards

Peter

Hi,

From the "VatMan"  go to "Rates of VAT"  which has links lists of stuff at 6%, 13% and the rest is 23%.

https://eportugal.gov.pt/en/cidadaos-eu … m-portugal

In Portugal, there are three rates of Value Added Tax (VAT):

a reduced rate of 6% in mainland Portugal, 4% in the Autonomous Region of the Azores and 5% in the Autonomous Region of Madeira for goods and services in List I of the Value Added Tax Code

an intermediate rate of 13% in mainland Portugal, 9% in the Autonomous Region of the Azores and 12% in the Autonomous Region of Madeira for goods and services in List II of the Value Added Tax Code

a standard rate of 23% in mainland Portugal, 16% in the Autonomous Region of the Azores and 22% in the Autonomous Region of Madeira for all remaining goods and services.

But I'd just ask the contractor, builder, workmen, suppliers who are going to bill you.

@Peter,

6% VAT is for essential goods such as water, milk, meat, fish,  etc.

The normal VAT rate is 23 %.

Have a look at list II of the VAT code -  essentially this is what it says:

For repairs / maintenance to habitation properties (specifically excludes gardens, swimming pools) the vat on the labour and (profit) is 6% (5% Madeira and 4% in the Azores). However the invoice has to explicitly breakdown between labour and materials. If the materials exceed 20%, then this should be invoiced at 23% (22% etc in the autonmous regions). If the invoice is not broken down the the maximum vat rate. If the materials is 20% or less, the minimum vat rate applies to the whole lot. Best to clear up with service provider beforehand - a lot of builders are not geared up to invoice this way