D8 Income Requirement Clarification

Hi all,

A few months ago, I posted a topic about being ineligible for the D8 visa due to not meeting the income requirement. Just this morning, I read a few other articles, and I believe I may have been mistaken regarding what SEF looks for regarding the income. I was wondering if someone could clarify the 3040 Euro requirement. Here is the main question:

Does SEF look to see whether you earn 3040 Euros a month explicitly for each month or over the course of the past three months?

The reason I ask is because I have read several articles that said you had to make 3040 Euros per month to qualify, but some of the newer articles I have read said that SEF checks for an average of 3040 Euros earned over the past three months.

If the latter is the correct answer, then I was mistaken, and my wife and I would meet the income requirement.

If anyone has spoken to an immigration attorney or knows exactly what SEF checks for, please let us know. We still had Portugal in mind while bewildered by the income requirement's terminology on the SEF website.

Thanks!

• Ben and Grace

In the last three months, you earned 2840 euros in September, 3040 euros in October and 3240 euros in November. What's the average earned over the past three months ?...

@Ben Kleinberg

They will check if you earn that amount monthly by checking the last 3 months income.

And this amount will increase from the 1st January when the minimum wage goes up to 820€/month.

The law states you must have a salary of 4x the minimum wage in Portugal.

Moderated by Cheryl 5 months ago
Reason : Advertising
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Well, the average of Johnny's numbers is 3040. The reason we were confused was because we read articles, such as the one below, which implied that SEF would check to see if we earned 3040 Euros total over the course of 3 months. The confusion was whether they required my monthly salary to be 3040 Euros per month or if the total income from the past 3 months (after US federal and state taxes and expenses) was at least 3040 Euros.

[link moderated]

However, since Nia stated that they check the monthly net salary, we are back to square one, because my job, unfortunately, pays a low salary, despite the fact that I am a senior IT engineer. Sorry if I made myself look foolish, but I tend to be cautiously optimistic.

Thanks again.

• Ben and Grace

@Ben Kleinberg

It's not the average. The law states 4x the Portuguese minimum salary per month.

3040 eur was for 2023.

In 2024 it will be 3280 eur. (Minimum)

If someone already got residence in 2023 based on €3040, how about  2024, if he is getting old salary? i mean does he need to change €3280 to keep his 2 years or 3 years TRC?

kindly advise,

Best regards;

Ahmed