Where are The Black Friday Sales?

It´s interesting that Brazil does not celebrate Thanksgiving (for good reason), but does go big on Black Friday.

So where are the best Black Friday sales in Brazil?

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

Halloween is also not celebrated here either FWIW.

Black Friday really isn't a big deal in Rio, unless you are in a large corporate mall like Barra Shopping.

My work had a holiday on Nov 20 for "Dia da Consciencia Negra".  Is this day the start of shopping season?  Just curious as to when Christmas season shopping starts in Brazil.....

I believe that the whole reason behind Black Friday was to kickstart the Christmas buying frenzy (and pad the bottomlines of companies early).

Isn't Thanksgiving all about Americans saying thank you to the British for giving them such a great country? 1f609.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg

11/22/23  Isn't Thanksgiving all about Americans saying thank you to the British for giving them such a great country? 1f609.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg-@Peter Itamaraca

Is that what they taught you in school?   They taught us that it was to thank God for leading us someplace far enough away that we didn't have to eat British "cuisine" anymore.  🤷‍♂️

When I left in 1986, none of such existed here. 

As they say, "Monkey See, Monkey Do". Argentines scoff at us and call us "Macaquitos de Imitacion". I mean, it is so everywhere here that it became laughable.

Brazilians  here do not celebrate Thanksgiving. it has no meaning to Brazilians.  Thanksgiving in America is the busiest traveling holiday bar none.   

Black Friday was nothing short of a layoff before everyone headed home and got caught up with their holiday shopping.   it was made up by retailers to incentivize sales.  Brazilians retailers caught a wind of it, and copied.

And for all I can remember, when the English  Puritans landed on the Plymouth Bay, at the end of summer, little they knew about Massachusetts Winters. 

About half of them perished of famine and cold. The local Wampanoag Tribe , under the leadership of Massasoit Sachem, helped the surviving ones in staving off famine by teaching the arrivals on hunting wild Turkeys and gathering cranberries.   

As a token act of gratitude from the then surviving Puritans , once the Puritans were able to establish themselves, they celebrated  with the local Wampanoags on what as to become Thanksgiving Day.

And for all I can remember, when the English  Puritans landed on the Plymouth Bay, at the end of summer, little they knew about Massachusetts Winters. 
About half of them perished of famine and cold. The local Wampanoag Tribe , under the leadership of Massasoit Sachem, helped the surviving ones in staving off famine by teaching the arrivals on hunting wild Turkeys and gathering cranberries.   

As a token act of gratitude from the then surviving Puritans , once the Puritans were able to establish themselves, they celebrated  with the local Wampanoags on what as to become Thanksgiving Day.

-@sprealestatebroker

Interesting history book account of Thanksgiving.

Yet most of us today remember this event for the shopping, traveling, and eating of a native bird that was named after the country of Turkey.

Last year's consumption of the turkey bird was 46Million - minus the 1 or 2 that were pardoned by the president.

What I like more about the old country's involvement with the US today is that a member of the Royal family has finally found someone in the US to be worthy enough to marry and he has moved to the new world - a mere 216 years after the Portuguese royals did in Brazil.

Indeed a lot to be thankful for.

What I like more about the old country's involvement with the US today is that a member of the Royal family has finally found someone in the US to be worthy enough to marry and he has moved to the new world

-@Pablo888

It was indeed a tough search for Harry, but now you are quite welcome to keep them both - many thanks for giving them a home!

We managed to get them out of Canada as well kkkkkkkkk

@Gasparzinho 777 My wife informed me that yes, Halloween is not celebrated but later that week we had Day of the Dead for two days where family members who have passed on are celebrated.

@Pablo888  FYI - Black Consciousness Day became an official holiday in 2003 after the approval of law 10.639. The holiday is observed on November 20 to honour the sacrifice of Zumbi for his people. Black Consciousness Day is now celebrated in 5,561 Brazilian cities. Since over half of Brazilians have African lineages, the holiday is expected to grow in the future.

11/23/23 It was indeed a tough search for Harry, but now you are quite welcome to keep them both - many thanks for giving them a home!

-@Peter Itamaraca

It was almost inevitable.  As Joseph Hansen wrote, "The US tilts, and everything eventually ends up in California that isn't too square to roll."

People with a lot more money than brains seem to be particularly susceptible.

@roddiesho online sales have effectively killed ”Black Friday”. Thanks to Amazon and Walmart it went from a day, to a week, to more or less an entire month.

As Joseph Hansen wrote, "The US tilts, and everything eventually ends up in California that isn't too square to roll."

People with a lot more money than brains seem to be particularly susceptible.

-@abthree

Since I am currently in California, I did wash up on the coast of the Golden State a few decades ago without a plan. I was not flush with cash at that time....  But it is true that only rich people can now afford to stay as it has become very expensive esp. in the desirable areas.

well even online sales right now is at a huge slump. ( north america ) I have the ability to see the lowering trends in realtime due to work. In a nutshell even in brazil and usa / canada black friday and cyber monday are a huge flop ( usa respectivly doing better than canadas ) Next time your in canada go to a mall, its not even close to flush with people browsing.  Frugal is key currently lol. EVEN the people who do elaborate things birthdays parties etc are posting and doing less here due to costs lol ( brazil / canada )

@Mikeflanagan I need to buy a small amount of presents from Amazon.com, USA to be delivered to Brazil as well as my family in the USA so there may be a slight uptick in your figures.

yeah usa performed better than brazil / usa, still down even after pandemic passed