Cell phone unlimited data plans ?

I know this isn't necessarily the best forum for this kind of question, but does anyone know if there are mobile subscriptions with unlimited data, and no throttling after a certain amount? I live in an area with no landlines, so other than Starlink (which is 180/month plus 2000 R$ for the hardware), the only way to have internet is GSM/cellular. And it actually works quite well, particularly VIVO and TIM (not Claro though) and even better if you use a GSM router. So I'm actually happy with the speed and reliability, but it gets really expensive, especially if you happen to watch films and videos from time to time. That can use up a 60 R$ Recarga in 2-3 days…

I've checked VIVO's and TIM's planos, and they all seem to have quite a low data cap, I think the best I've found was 35 Gb, but a significant chunk of that could only be used for certain apps. 

Has anyone managed to have GSM based internet for a good price? Or has anyone experience with Starlink? It looks like a good alternative, but there's a risk of getting your satellite dish stolen…

In the days of yore, you would be picking up a satellite uplink, and there used to be such providers in Brazil and over remote places in Africa, Russia, Eurasia. 

Cell plans have plenty for the average consumer, but broadband omnipresence in Brazil is a long ways to go. 

Depending upon where you live, you might have a CLEC ( called Operadora Espelho on Brazil ).  Or start thinking about soliciting investors to create your version of a Rural RUS ( Rural Utilities Service ).

If to no avail, then consider passing the hat to start one. The upfront Capex Costs will need to be bankrolled by investors.

Which takes you to consider the ongoing operational cost, and they should be covered by subscription fees.

Anatel, the Brazilian equivalent of  America's FCC, tend to fund your ongoing capital expenditures through the collection of a tax on your phone bill called FUST.   But the first go about round, the kickstart, is on you. 

Else, move out of Dodge.  You Americans never learn. Living off the grid in Brazil ain't the same as living off the grid in America. 

Haven't you guys watched the flick "The Mosquito Coast" with Harrison Ford?  Gheez. 

Else, move out of Dodge.  You Americans never learn. Living off the grid in Brazil ain't the same as living off the grid in America. 

-@sprealestatebroker

i know quite a few Americans (I'm not American,  btw) , and the overwhelming majority are fine people. I don't what your problem with Americans is, but maybe you should think about this: if you meet an a-hole during your day or your week, you have most likely met an a-hole. But if you meet nothing but a-holes,  maybe you're in the wrong, and not everybody else?

American or European or Canadian. Same deal. Off the grid in Brazil and off the Grid in the first world ain't the same. 

Out of reach for decent health care infra-structure, broadband is sparse, ill devised eletrical grid, subpar sewage treatment. And never mind public transportation.

As for color characterizations of my behavior... I do not care. I'd rather make a on your face  point . My apologies to you all hurting puppies.

Or has anyone experience with Starlink? It looks like a good alternative, but there's a risk of getting your satellite dish stolen…
    -@Kurterino

No comment about the owner of Starlink but I hear good things about that service.  My neighbor in the Sierra mountains recommended this over the local ISP.  There are many satellites providing the service and there is very little outage.

Two caveats: 1. location of the satellite dish - since the antenna is omni directional (there is a satellite constellation and those satellites are always moving), placement on a very high location with maximum view of the sky is preferred.  If you are on a slope, then the mountain will obviously be an obstruction.  2.  Although there are many satellites providing the service, the trajectory of the satellites are determined by a ground control station and the coverage and quality of service will be determined by Starlink for your location.  If you location does not have enough subscribers, Starlink may not be interested in providing excellent service there.

Will the Starlink service get better with time - very likely as the micro-satellite movement is fairly recent and everytime the Falcon rocket jets up in space, it releases 10 -20 of those commercial grade PC's that act as communication relays in low earth orbit.

Hope that this helps.

Another vote for Starlink here based on user comments made directly  to me.

It's not cheap.

But, if you really need it.......

11/20/23 For those who haven't noticed, hovering for a second over someone's avatar shows two flags:  the one on the left is their (claimed) country of origin in their profile.  No need to guess, and possibly err.