Moroccan banks .

Hi everyone.

I am interested in buying a apartment in Tangiers, I am from the u.k

I know the buying process and am at the stage of opening a convertible dirham account.

I opened one with BMCE last year but closed it as they were totally useless .

Any recommendations on the best bank to help me with my banking needs going forward would be appreciated.

@Ali25y

Attijari wafa bank

I opened a convertible account with Attijariwafa and they seem good and the app isn't bad either as you can change the language to english.

@Ali25y I opened a convertible account with Attijariwafa and they seem good and the app isn't bad either as you can change the language to english.

Thanks for the reply , I was thinking Attijariwaffa would probably be worth investigating,  as they have been voted best bank in  Morocco  last few years .

Is it possible to open account in u.k as they have a branch in London,  or as I think, best  the branch near the apartment in Tangiers when I am there .

One thing I found really frustrating with BMCE was they would not tell me the exchange rate before I sent the money  to Morocco,  is this the same with all the banks ?

BMCE APP will not do English.

@Ali25y

as a Moroccan  who does buisness outside of Morocco

i would advise you to go for Attijari !

@Ali25y I opened mine in Marrakech, I'm not sure if you can open it in the UK, but you're right they have one in London.

They have a UK number so you can call them and ask about rates. I send it from my UK bank so not sure if the app tells you as I've never sent money from the Attijariwafa app.

As a non Moroccan i can only have a convertible dirham account, unless i get a residence card , meaning I need to send Pounds Sterling to Morocco via a UK bank.

Thats all fine as I've done it a few times، it took 3 working days to show in the Bmce account via Barclays bank.

What was really frustrating was the fact that bmce would not tell me what conversion rate I would receive,  But on a large amount like when purchasing a property knowing what the conversion rate is is very helpful.

Think I will phone up the attajariwaffa bank in London and ask them some questions.

@Ali25y  all the bank in morocco are useless. opening a bank accout to show that the money has come from the uk is good idea. Dirham convertable account is the right way to go. As you probably know all the banks in morocco charge you regular fees for having a current account which is a rip off. once you bought your property close you current account keeping all the records all the transactions from abroad in case you want to sell and take your money with you and open a book account ( you get a book ) where you get charged 1 dirham each time you deposit money into it but nothing else. make sure you do not get a cash withdrawal card as there is a lots of problems with customers not  getting the cash they want from the machines but showing they have.that's what i did. good luck

@idouarab2712

Hi

I would personally need an account I can pay bills via direct debit for things like, electricity, WiFi, water when I am not in Morocco  so a simple account like the one you mentioned would not be suitable.

I dont think non residents are allowed dirham accounts without a residents card .

I Just need a bank I can Trust ,and acts like a bank not a highway robber .

Hopefully attijariwafa won't be as bad as BMCE , who wouldn't give me my own money as they had mistakenly put a block on it , which they sorted out over 4 months later ... too late to help me out ,so I closed the account, as I couldn't trust them anymore although they were not to happy.

@Ali25y

Hello,

I opened an account with Banque Poplaire.

It takes about a week to obtain an ATM card which you need to pick up at the branch that did your application.

They also have an app that is in: English, along with French and Arabic.

To set up so that water and electric can be deducted from your account automatically requires a form to be  stamped by the utility and bank. Time consuming.

But it is worth it as my primary residence is the United States.

Hopes this help…

Good Luck!

Rodney

Thanks for the reply  ،

What deposit you looking ay if you buying a flat in moroco

@Dreams_ unlimited

I am not interested in off plan .

So it will be 10% deposit for the initial contract to include all conditions of the sale so it is legally binding on both sides ,to be kept by the notarié  ,followed by the full price on signing of the deed of sale by both parties. 

Hi everyone.
I am interested in buying a apartment in Tangiers, I am from the u.k
I know the buying process and am at the stage of opening a convertible dirham account.
I opened one with BMCE last year but closed it as they were totally useless .
Any recommendations on the best bank to help me with my banking needs going forward would be appreciated.

-@Ali25y

oh ok . i though they do com thing like thr mortgage there and you pay off monthly etc

Hi

luckily no mortgage involved

What is the monthly fee of having a convertible bank account ?

Attijariwaffa bank is good solution and trusted and the dealing with is not complex as you from uk .

Welcome to my city tanger and inshallah more happy times here , which place you bought the house and how was the deal and the process of buying ?

did you have a direct contact with owner or with the realtor agency ?