Family move to Bangkok - rental & work recommendations

Hi all,

My husband has a job in bangkok so we are moving soon with our 2 little ones.

I wondered if anyone had any recommendations on the nicest family friendly apartments with a pool & gym (kids pool ideal/kids play area) in Silom, Ploenchit & Sulhimvit areas. We are limited on time to search once we arrive so I'd like to gather as much info as possible prior to arrival.

Tips for agencies for expat jobs would be amazing (I didn't find great leads on here for now). I'm in no real rush as my partner already has a job & visa sorted, but I would prefer to be occupied whilst my little ones are at school.

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Any help is appreciated, thank you

I lived in Phuket before & so excited to be back in Thailand

Hi all, My husband has a job in bangkok so we are moving soon with our 2 little ones. I wondered if anyone had any recommendations on the nicest family friendly apartments with a pool & gym (kids pool ideal/kids play area) in Silom, Ploenchit & Sulhimvit areas. We are limited on time to search once we arrive so I'd like to gather as much info as possible prior to arrival. Tips for agencies for expat jobs would be amazing (I didn't find great leads on here for now). I'm in no real rush as my partner already has a job & visa sorted, but I would prefer to be occupied whilst my little ones are at school. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻Any help is appreciated, thank you I lived in Phuket before & so excited to be back in Thailand         -@SineadNGC

I guess you mean Sukhumvit not Sulhimvit, which I think don't even exist. What type of visa will you arrive on? Short version,you are only allowed to get a work permit on a business visa.

Hi

Check out Ideo 93 on Sukhumvit for a condo. It has the usual pool, gym, kids play areas etc but also has a 7/11 on site, starbucks, chemist at the entrance, BTS on the door step, easy for taxis having a pull in on the front, plus street venders etc for fresh fruit etc. Depends on the schools for the kids but close to a couple of the international ones. Fairly new so similar to most with facilities etc. Advice would be for first condo stick near Sukhumvit until you get settled then you can move next year.

Everywhere delivers food and shopping etc these days, so not as important to be near the BTS but it is handy especially with little ones if you dont have transport. website shows available apartments. The older the condo usually the more space inside, the further out you go on sukhumvit there are houses to rent for similar money but important to be close to the BTS if your further out as less taxis etc

@Leeds forever! Thank you for your response & yes I typed too quickly there thanks.

If I need to exit & re-enter under the correct visa later that wont be a problem. For now I will enter on non immigration o. We plan on living there long term & my kids going to go school there.

The agency that I used has a website fazwaz.com I am told that the most expensive gradeschool is behind my condo building I am living on asok. Are you thinking about private school.?You can ask the agent's at fazwaz about the schools around and what you are looking for to live at size and everything else.

@ibennett42 thank you for this, thats great information. I will add it to my list to review. I've lived in Sri Lanka the past 7 years so having those things on my doorstep would be a dream with kids.

A house is a no for me, but thank you again

@Walnutcharles thank you so much. I will take a look once the link is approved & checkout the apartment.  Yes, they go to a private international school at the moment, & I hope to continue that in Thailand. I've had a look at some of the prospects, trying to start linking all of the pieces /locations together now that I'm apartment hunting. 🙏🏻

@Leeds forever! Thank you for your response & yes I typed too quickly there thanks.

If I need to exit & re-enter under the correct visa later that wont be a problem. For now I will enter on non immigration o. We plan on living there long term & my kids going to go school there.

@Leeds forever! Thank you for your response & yes I typed too quickly there thanks. If I need to exit & re-enter under the correct visa later that wont be a problem. For now I will enter on non immigration o. We plan on living there long term & my kids going to go school there.         -@SineadNGC

Just out of curiosity, a 90 days Non-immigrant O based on what?

Bangkok Garden apartments, all different sizes, can rent or own. I live here with my wife and 3 year old, close to Shopping Mall (Central Rama 3), International school is part of the complex. [link moderated]

@Lersons oh that sounds handy. Thank you for the info I'm going to take a look ☺️

@SineadNGC

Hi Sinead,

We had the best experience with Nah from Bangkok Residential. You can google them and look at the stellar reviews.

Nah's number is 0945412580 -- both phone and Whastsapp.  She is amazing. By far the best agent i've ever encountered.

Good luck!

Mari

I think you should first decide on where the school is for you kids and pick a place around there

Or close to the husbands work.....

Usually around the bigger schools they have apartments and housing...

Just as an FIY international school with great international baccalaureates are pretty expensive.

Bilingual schools are cheaper and can have a good baccalaureate as well

Modern spacy apartments are expensive as well especially in the area's that you mention

Have a look at dotproperty and hipflat 

@martinoo2002 thank you for this. I've explored a few rental sites, but its always hard to know what complexes might work better for families than others. Some of the responses here have been great & the extra details i was hoping for 🙏🏻

These areas are the ones commutable to my partners new place of work & the schools I have been most interested in thus far (things can change when you are there of course). 🙏🏻

@SineadNGC

Yeah, I know what you mean. If I were you I would rent an AirBNB for a few weeks and visit the places you want or choose to live...

In pictures it looks like new, but the place can be old... or worn down..

Mobi condo, as mentioned by someone else are nice and pretty new

Problem with a condo can be that it is one owner who cares about his place only they won't budge if there is something off.

In an apartment all apartments are owned by the owner of the place so he/she has an interest to keep this clean etc.

@martinoo2002 thanks for this. Food for thought for sure re the condo vs apartment.

Agreed, we will be doing this, just dont want to spend too long in an airbnb due to the additional cost so hoping to create a short list of towers/areas (that will probably go out of the window lol)

@cececa thank you, Mari. Its always good to get recommendations

@cececa thank you, Mari. Its always good to get recommendations

-@SineadNGC

Fyi, airbnb in Thailand is not allowed by law unless you rent for a period of at least 30 days. But, airbnb is nothing I recommend,prices are way to high,they are basically rip-offs. You can find condos all over the place and the prices are way cheaper. The more fancy the neighborhood is the more it will cost.

@Leeds forever! agreed! I dont wish to waste money on short term rent for too long. Ive got 3 areas in mind as they are commutable to my partners new work place & got some pretty good suggestions from the kind people above :) thanks for the info re airbnb. I'll keep that in mind.

Problem with condo's is that ypou cannot rent them for a month if you want to seek and see the place you want to permanently live in.

I use Airbnb now and then, coastal area's and up country, have not been disappointed yet

@Leeds forever! agreed! I dont wish to waste money on short term rent for too long. Ive got 3 areas in mind as they are commutable to my partners new work place & got some pretty good suggestions from the kind people above smile.png thanks for the info re airbnb. I'll keep that in mind.

-@SineadNGC

If just staying a few days,you can easily find a cheap hotel while looking for a permanent place to stay.

@Leeds forever! yes we plan to be were my partner usually stays for his short trips until we find a place.

@martinoo2002 thank you for this.

My advice is not to go running around for each property, I did that. Is a nightmare. There are good real estate brokers..try this one who helped me with my unit...BKK Homes...is an app. The lady speaks good English..and super honest..hard working..she lived briefly in USA. Let me know ..be happy to refer you..cheers

@retiredamerican thanks for this I'll save it just incase. I did a fair bit of research before arriving & we found a spot right for us & already moved in :)