Work & Family balance at RD?

Hello!

Our baby was born 3 months ago and for some reason it gave us the energy to embark on the adventure of moving to the DR for a while (I don't know if it will be 6 months or 20 years). We have our own house in Spain and we can both take a leave of absence so the risk if it goes wrong would be “controlled”.

Looking for how to put the puzzle together, my husband started looking for opportunities and just got a couple of offers in the resort world as a manager, so this week we will decide which one to accept 😀

My question is for me. In this life change, I would like to take the opportunity to try something new on a professional level. In this sense, I have a fairly qualified profile, more than 10 years experience in management and strategy, specializing in the food and tourism sector. The good thing is that just now I have started some remote consulting projects (I can work until the girl is one year old with this flexibility) but I would also be excited to try other worlds such as hospitality. My question is, how difficult is conciliation in the country? I understand that much worse than in Spain... can a management position in a hotel be compatible with taking care of my daughter? Do half-days exist in the country? Is there flexibility? I don't care at all about earning less, since what I would like is to try the experience of working in that sector. But it is my priority to be able to go out at a reasonable time every day to spend time with her.

In case this is complicated, I would continue as a freelancer, but I would more like to be able to immerse myself in something new! and I am excited to get involved in new challenges. I have previously live and worked in other countries such as Chile, Brazil, Mexico, India... and being able to get to know the culture is something that I am passionate about.

Thank you very much in advance for your advice.

BR!

Welcome to the forums.  It's really going to depend on which resort.  Each one and the areas are very different.

As a whole the work culture here is not open to half time or flexible time. We are behind in this aspect. In fact we still work a 44 hour week!  Carumba.

You will likely be better off working remote by contract.  If your husband works in a resort he will work long hours! It's the nature of the work.

Thanks for the quick response and advice, I really appreciate it!

Yes... I'm going to have to get used to spending a lot of time with myself in this new stage.1f625.svg

My remote job has a deadline after the first year since it is a comfortable but not very motivating job. So after the first year, if we decide to stay I will have to find my place in that sense.

In any case, we have to decide whether to accept the offer from Punta Cana or Santiago de los Caballeros. They are very different options but we think that in Santiago it may be easier for me to also continue with my professional journey.

If you have any advice regarding locations, it is welcome!

thanks a lot!1f600.svg

I agree that Santiago would be better for you job hunting and having a child!