Your neighbours in Indonesia

Hello everyone,

When you move in Indonesia, relationships with your neighbours can play a vital role in your well-being and integration. Share your experiences of the interactions and routines that punctuate your daily life in Indonesia:

Tell us about your relationships with your neighbours in Indonesia. Do you have any anecdotes to share, moments of solidarity or community initiatives that have touched you?

Are there any specific customs or cultural norms to be respected between neighbours? For example, is it normal to introduce yourself to your neighbours and invite them over when you move in Indonesia?

Do you have any tips or advice for fostering good neighbourly relations in Indonesia? How do you deal with the differences and diversities that can exist within the community?

Are there any initiatives to organise activities between neighbours, whether official events or spontaneous gatherings?

Are your neighbours expats or locals? How does this influence your experience in Indonesia?

By sharing your experiences, you enrich everyone's understanding of life in Indonesia and help many people to plan their life abroad.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

If you're in a village:

It's essential to introduce yourself, and preferable to have a house warming party.

You could well be expected to join evening village patrols and be part of social events.

If you're Muslim, expect to be invited to every event in your local mosque.

If you have family in the village, you'll be expected to be very much part of it.

You might well be asked to host village meetings when your turn comes up.

If you're in a town:

Pretty much optional

If you're in a gated estate:

Nobody cares but join the local Whatsapp group.

Diversity:

If in a village, you may meet the odd Christian or whatever else non-Muslim

Towns - Whatever goes, but there's a notable racism against anyone who might be Chinese - regardless of how many generations their families have lived in Indonesia. That's a throwback from communism.

Gated communities tend to be a lot more diverse, but you won't even meet most of the people.

Much of the above won't apply to Bali, and probably not in some other places as well.

@Cheryl,

I live in north Bali in a village in the town centre.

Just a few weeks ago the neighbours gathered to cement our road. Donations of cash had been made and a local business tipped in the rest.

We worked from 8.00 am to 9.00pm to get the job done. Some of us shovelled sand and rocks, others wheeled the barrows and others made the tea and coffee.

It was a lovely bonding day.

A few weeks later i had a cardiac arrest. For the 3 weeks until i returned to Aus, my neighbours and friends looked after us. Every morning the garden was raked and watered, ladies came to clean the house, my ironing was picked up and returned, and every night there was a knock on the door and someone had dinner for us.

It was Bali friends who got me to the ER and massaged my arm and cold feets while the clot passed.

Before my event, i cooked bread and made Ozzie sweets that i would give to neighbours. My 77yo husband mows neighbours lawns and we keep our streets cleaned.

We looked after 10 families financially during covid all over Bali.

My neighbours rallied for me when i was in need.

I am so lucky to have the beautiful villa that we live in and amongst such lovely neighbours.

I am in Aus having medical treatment and still my neighbours are looking after my villa and my pet fish. I really am blessed.

Memories.

When a village house is being built the village comes together to get it done.

We got loads of help to finish the heavy work on ours, and I've been out there doing the same for other people.

Village life here is pretty fantastic with a level of mutual consideration and assistance I've never seen in the UK.

@Fred; that's pretty much spot on, and it comes from someone with years of living experience in Indonesia like I have as well (on and off). In addition I would like to add; be polite and respectful, and treat others like you would like to be treated, keep in mind that we are all bio-individuals and as such we might not get along with everyone which is perfectly alright. In general I find Indonesians significantly more respectful, welcoming, and polite than what I unfortunately experience on a regular basis in Western Europe during my visits.