Your neighbours in Dominican Republic

Hello everyone,

When you move in Dominican Republic, relationships with your neighbours can play a vital role in your well-being and integration. Share your experiences of the interactions and routines that punctuate your daily life in Dominican Republic:

Tell us about your relationships with your neighbours in Dominican Republic. Do you have any anecdotes to share, moments of solidarity or community initiatives that have touched you?

Are there any specific customs or cultural norms to be respected between neighbours? For example, is it normal to introduce yourself to your neighbours and invite them over when you move in Dominican Republic?

Do you have any tips or advice for fostering good neighbourly relations in Dominican Republic? How do you deal with the differences and diversities that can exist within the community?

Are there any initiatives to organise activities between neighbours, whether official events or spontaneous gatherings?

Are your neighbours expats or locals? How does this influence your experience in Dominican Republic?

By sharing your experiences, you enrich everyone's understanding of life in Dominican Republic and help many people to plan their life abroad.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

Now this  is an interesting topic!

First it makes a HUGE difference  if you live in  Dominican communities or mostly expat style communities.

I moved here for a Dominican experience and have almost always lived in Dominican neighborhoods. from living in a barrio to living in a high rise tower,  some things are the same!  You have very little privacy.  Everything about us is of interest to our Dominican neighbors, EVERYTHING.   I have no idea how but darn it they will know everything about you pretty quickly! 

Dominicans are friendly and welcoming when you move to a new area!  Treat them with courtesy and respect and you will have far fewer problems!   Usually they are checking you and all your things out during the move in!  For me the kids are the most welcoming and brutally honest!   You are a thing of fascination to them in many cases.  Enjoy the interaction.  My very first apartment here was pretty much a dump in a barrio. The kids were amazing!  They were always visiting me and teaching me spanish. In return I taught them some basic English and shared whatever "treats" I may have, usually fresh fruit.

A few years later I moved to a townhouse in Santo Domingo. I decided to paint the townhouse.  One evening painting away,  music playing, doors open, the neighborhood kids came by to watch. One  little beggar asked what I was doing?  Well, painting!  Why he wanted to know, thats mans work?   Hmmm I said well clearly its not because I am doing it.  His response,  my mom says you are crazy!   I said,  she is probably right!   

Your Dominican neighbors will look out for you!  I had  chikengunya and my neighbors all noticed I had not  come out of my townhouse for a day.  They were all around making sure I was ok,  took me to the clinic, made sure I had what I needed.

They are good people.

Only once in all the places I have lived in did I need to introduce myself to my neighbors.  They always beat me to it!

One issue with living here that needs to be adjusted to is the constant noise. Finding a good quiet location is tough to do.  If you find yourself with  very noisy  neighbors you are in for a tough time.  Dominicans love life bigger better and louder than most.  Get used to it or move.  Take the time to check the place you want to live in  or you may find yourself struggling!

For me diversity is the name of the game.  Differences always exist, compromise whenever possible. And darn it a bottle of rum goes a long way to good neighborhood relations!

I do agree with all of that in my limited experience. It is a bit different where we are. In the hills just west of Las Terrenas our neighbors are at least 300 meters away from us. We met all of our ex-pat neighbors. We have not met the few Domincan neighbors we have. What they know of us I can't imagine. Our dogs are loud and crazy, and I yell at them a lot!  [shrug]

When we were in rentals close to Domincan households we found the people quite friendly, and yes LOUD. Yes, the kids were cute until a couple of them were looking for their dog and yelled "hey gringo" to me. Maybe it's just me that finds that really offensive. I certainly did not make any friends that day after informing them I do have a name, or you could just say "senor". 1f621.svg

It is funny they referred to you as crazy. They probably think that of most of us, as we do them.  LOL

@planner all true and valid and my recommedation is to also visit your new place or area at night around 8pm or 9pm and weekend evenings before you committ.  You will learn a lot about you neighborhood and neighbors as most of the noise happens. Has been my experience.

@RockyM, Yes , I also find the word gringo offensive and yes I also tell them my first name. The other thing I find is the constant staring at you (like you have a 3rd eye) :)

Yes I have challenged a couple guys that were staring at either my wife or I. Most likely her  1f601.svg

Justing saying something to them is usually enough...

@planner all true and valid and my recommedation is to also visit your new place or area at night around 8pm or 9pm and weekend evenings before you committ.  You will learn a lot about you neighborhood and neighbors as most of the noise happens. Has been my experience.

-@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

Yes, definitely agree. Assess the party atmosphere before commiting. Or rent for a while it that specific area.

I had one apartment I loved 6.75 days a week.  Every Wednesday the house behind and below me became and evangelica pulpit where some guys screamed into a microphone for 3 hours.  It was a good apt so I went out during that time slot.

Here in Moca. I was certainly an object of interest when I started to  visit my niw wife. She lived with her parents  & youngest sister. The little store justs steps away prlved a focsl point. When I bought a beer, then a couple of days later whdn there was a crowd, I bought a drink of whatever for all there. ALL were friendly I after moving intobour apartment, I was greeted real friendly every visit.  At the apartment, i became a hit with the kids and patents after buying some cheap plastic bats and balls as the kids played with a stick & paper ball. As said, honesty and respecting others and always ready with a wave and smile makes life comfy. I like their parties and always get invites. Only once did a party not quiet down by 11 pm.