Work permit

Hi,

Hope you can help me clarify please..

As an existing work permit holder, am I allowed to go to Johor Bahru and spend overnight ?

- I have my partner working at JB Malaysia. Every week I come to visit her and spend overnight at her place. I usually go there during my off day and go back to Singapore the following day. At some very rare cases, I come there twice a week when there is an emergency or urgent matter to attend to. Coming from an hour away ride, I just take bus whenever I go to JB.

2. Is there any chance that my work permit can be cancelled by my employer because of my regular visit to JB?

A month ago, I had random discussions with our HR about this scenario.Until yesterday, I was asked again to come to our HR's office about this matter. I showed them the reply I got from your office regarding my previous inquiry. But, I was asked to present a formal letter from MOM stating that a work permit holder can go in and out of Singapore and spend overnight. Only then that our HR will allow me to go to JB and spend overnight there.

Work pass holders have multiple entry visa to Singapore. So it allows workpass holder to visit other countries.

But in your case every week visit can draw attention to immigration officer such illegal activities.

But in this case company does not cancel the visa if your overall performance is good.  So, in  your case bit different to what in general company behaves.

As Surya wrote,you have a multiple entry visa and frequent visits (also overnight) to Malaysia are allowed.

If your employer is unsure about this, they should contact MoM or ICA for an authoritative answer.