D7 Visa - Minimum Deposit Required for a Portuguese Bank

Hello all,

I have searched high & low and have yet to find an official amount that is supposed to be deposited in a Portuguese Bank for a D7 visa or if these extra funds are highly contingent for the approval process and could not find anything from the consulate website. All I seem to find are Euro amounts that are scattered all over the place but nothing ever definitive. If not given, then all I see is, "...it depends on what country you are from", yet no link is provided to find this detailed information.

Living from pension check to pension check in the US requires me to use my savings to pay for rent in Portugal, costs for the visa & NIF card, etc... If approved, the cost of my fare to get to Portugal and ship my non-furniture belongings over land to cargo ship then to Porto, will come from the same account.

My guaranteed CalPERS pension comes with annual COLA increases, is well over the Portuguese minimum wage, and am hoping that it should be more than sufficient. My U.S. Social Security funds will be available later. I can supplement my savings with future sales of my car, furniture, and electronic equipment once approved.

Hope someone can provide some answers for those of us that may need this information.

Thank you!

Are you searching Google? I have an infinite number of websites in search of less than a second: €9,870. And your passive income going forward must be at least €9,870. They will NOT approve or consider anything else such as savings. You will sone official doc that says you must get at least that much for a month indefinitely.   

Hi Easy-Going Lifestyle,

Please read this:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =2#5775987

(Post #56)

@Easy-Going Lifestyle

I got my visa and did not have to open up a bank account in Europe.  I only had to prove I had income. 

They asked me for a Portugal account so I made a strong argument against needing one and was approved.

I have not applied yet...planning to move early next year.   But I've been doing major research already.

From all the FB groups and youtube videos I have seen, I've read that you must have at least one year's worth of Portuguese minimum wage in the PT bank as part of your visa application.  It looks like a monthly minimum wage is 820 euros...so if you're applying by yourself, I believe you are supposed to have about 9840 euros.  If you bring a spouse, then you must add another 50% (that is 4920 euros).  If you bring a kid, it's 30% ??

@sfaznpinoy,

Read my post #3 above. These values are correct, but if you have only these minimums, it does not mean that your visa is approved... Simply because these values are not enough to live...

On a related note, I see the government has a new average wage figure, €1.463.  x12 = €17,556 - up 7.2%.

I'm assuming that's reported correctly on RTP as médio, average.   I believe the median (mediana) is much lower - no current figure, but last year ca. €1050.

Hi Donn25,

You're well informed, that's amost right. In Portugal they pay 14 months (12 meses + subsídio de natal + subsídio de ferias).

May I ask how you understand Portuguese so well that you can understand the news on RTP ? Regards.

Really the question should be why I don't understand it better, since I started 48 years ago.  I think I made a lot of progress a couple years ago, watching  - some RTP, other stuff like videos of câmara municipal meetings.  That and my extensive studies give me the ability to understand about 1/2 of what's said to me (1/4 if it's over the phone), and some halting expression of whatever I may need to say.  Without it, things would be darned awkward at times.

That report, and most of the information I get from RTP these days, was text that could probably be guessed at without actually knowing Portuguese.

@donn25,

This is out of context, but RTP Play may be useful to you:

https://www.rtp.pt/play

It has several documentaries, movies and series from several countries.

Many have subtitled in European Portuguese, by choosing the "CC option" (with subtitles) there. Use Google Chrome browser:

Eg.

Pór do Sol (with subtitles in english)

https://www.rtp.pt/play/p9165/por-do-sol

Little house in the prairie (with subtitles in portuguese)

https://www.rtp.pt/play/p12828/uma-casa-na-pradaria

Yah - por do sol, por do sol, ... once was OK.

Hello,

Just got approval for our D7 visa.  The process took 65 days from date of application to notification of approval.

We were not required to make a deposit of any kind into a Portuguese bank.

This is ”unofficial” of course but my sense is that given the backlog of NHR/D7 visas that they are looking to ways to speed things up, and if you can demonstrate clear financial capacity via enough passive income, i think they are willing the streamline a few things….

Just our experience, might vary from application to application..,.