Employment Pass Rejected

Hi Beppi,

I am an EP holder, currently living in SG, but I am considering to live either in Batam or JB due to high living cost of SG. Do you think that this will make the rejection probability higher when the time come for me to renew my EP? Maybe MOM will think that since I do not have commitment enough to stay in SG, they wouldn't grant the EP renewal.
I have looked through this blog but couldn't find a similar question to mine.

Thanks in advance. :D

Interesting question.
I personally think it would have no influence on your EP - PR is a different matter of course.
However, I can tell you (from own experience of living in Batam) that it is not feasible time-wise and (due to high ferry costs) also too costly to commute from Batam daily. The situation with JB is only slightly better - my Malaysian colleagues needed two hours each way due to long queues at the border!
In addition, Both countries will not give you a visa for just staying there because you want to.

Hi, I am Malaysian that just get offer from SG company, they helped me to apply the EP but unfortunately it was rejected because my highest qualification was not match with the position.

My highest qualification is MBA while position applied is Mechanical Designer, I am a diploma and degree holder in Mechanical Engineering and been worked as designer for the past 6 years. Is there any chance to appeal with my past qualification degree?

An appeal has a chance of success only if it includes new information that was not submitted with the original application.
If yourpast degree and experience was properly declared, MoM probably thinks you are overqualified for the job because of your MBA.
If so, it might help if the company explains why the job, though just called Mechanical Designer, requires management skills (and changes the job description accordingly).

Hi,
Please help me
I got an offer for $ 6 k for an company in SG. they had submitted my docs on 5th Nov.
looks like last week there was a query from MOM asking more docs then my employer submitted the same.
After that still no reply/update from MOM yet.
my skills are rare and the company really required me. I have UG &PG degree in my working domain.
9 + exp. currently working in well reputed company for over 7 years.
if all docs are positive still my EP be rejected ? still how many days I need to wait ?

Really appreciate your help.

Thank you

Bee123: Of course having all documents in order does not mean your EP will be approved - the salary might be too low or too high (in your case probably too low) or the company might not fulfill all requirements for hiring foreigners, or didn't follow proper protocol.
In any case, you need to wait until MoM tells their decision. This can take a month or more, and there is nothing you can do to speed things up. Patience is a virtue!

Edited to add: S$6000/month is low for a university degree holder with 9 years experience. It  will afford you a good lifestyle if you come alone, but is not enough for wife or family.

Beepi: Thanks for your reply.
One of my friend who has same profile as mine EP got approved 2 months ago to the same company for the similar position... for him it took just 3 days to get the approval., hiring company also good one in Singapore.
now, can we do/ask something to speedup/status the process or waiting to hear from MOM is the only thing that we can do ?
Thank you

As I said, there is nothing ou can do but wait. Patience is a virtue!
That a friend in a similar situation was processed faster does not entitle you to anything. Sorry!

Thank you so much, I now see the status " Pending" on the tool.
I see "Date of Application : 20/11/2015 " on the tool But i was told by employer that it was done on first week of Nov itself... and after one week  they told me that they were requested some additional docs and they were submitting the same...
I am suspecting that my EP got rejected and they appealed again on 20/11/2015 ?? so that status changed to pending ? or it may also changed to "pending" from "rejected" when the appeal made ?

Thank you

bee123 wrote:

or it may also changed to "pending" from "rejected" when the appeal made ?

Yes.

Dear Beppi,

Thank you for your continuous support on the group specially for the new comer's.  I am working Singapore for the past 2.5 year's, recently I have applied my EP from own company where I am also a director. But the MOM rejected on first attempt and asked few documents like my personal bank statement, new company agreements with any third party etc. Those all I have provided to agent and they appealed.

Whether did you know anything in this kind of scenario what is the success or failure ratio!
Still I am working for my first employer. I will surrender only once I get the pass, as it's the most valuable thing to living here. Thank you again!

Regards
Mahmud.

Hatiar: Getting an EP to work as director of your own company (or any company you're shareholder of) is very difficult. You should apply for an EntrePass instead, which is the visa type MoM created for that purpose!
If you cannot get an EntrePass chances are high that you also won't get an EP for the same purpose. But if you want to try, you should get professional help (e.g. from Rikvin, Hawksford or other company incorporation service providers).
Also, be careful with how you start your company while still having an EP: You are not allowed to do any work besides the employer mentioned on your EP! This includes signing any contracts for your new company, holding discussions with potential clients/customers, etc. You must engage one of the abovementioned service providers if you want to do any of these before you cancel your EP. MoM has a no-tolerance view on this and can get pretty nasty!

Dear Beppi

Thank you for your valuable advice and suggestion. I will follow them.
Let you know once there is an outcome. Thank you.

Hey guys, any idea on how work permit application is done?

I already completed my blood test report, SG company also "claimed" they proceeded to issue work permit on last Monday 7/12 which is also the due date stated inside principle letter.

I searched MOM web and it stated a notification letter will be issue after request issue work permit but today SG company HR told me they need to fax a screen shot to MOM because I was not in SG/holding any Embarkation card. Is this mean they haven't request to issue work permit?

Any professional can advice?

j3Vils: Your message is unclear.
Did you already receive an "In-Principle Approval" letter (you mentioned "principle letter")? If so, it means your work permit is approved. There is also no need to do any medical check (you mention "blood test report") before that, so I assume you are good to go.
But MoM doesn't usually ask for additional documents after approval - and also  doesn't accept screen shots as evidence
Please clarify what you situation actually is and I can advise further..

Hi Beppi,

Yes, I already received In-Principle Approval and the due date for my employer to issue the work permit is 7/12/2015. Therefore I enter SG for blood test 1 week before because the letter do request for it.

However, my employer only collect my report on 7/12/2015 at 6pm. They told me they will proceed issue the pass online. Now been a week but I did not see any notification letter from MOM about thumb print or not or issue permit. I wonder if they do submit or my application been revoked.

Today they just sent me a screen shot, claimed that they cant proceed online because I was not in SG, no white card information. Therefore they need to screen shot the online application and send to MOM to proceed to issue the work permit. And the pass selection was Social Visit Pass. I am confuse about this.

For my understanding from MOM website, the process as below
1. Request work permit to be issue
2. Notification letter provide after work permit issue
3. Thumb print and photo if requested inside notification letter
4. Work permit to be send to employee

Any idea?

The work permit (WP) can only be issued when you are physically present in Singapore.
You should first enter Singapore with your In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter and then visit MoM (or let your employer handle the matter) to get it issued.
If your employer is applying for a Social Visit Pass (SVP) for you, this is WRONG! You can only have one pass at a time, so your WP will be cancelled the moment you get an SVP - and you'd have to go through a new WP application process if you still want to work in Singapore.
If your employer does not know what they're doing, you can ask them to get help from a professional service provider (e.g. Hawksford or Rikvin) - or look for another employer.

Dear Beppi...

I have been following your posts on this topic from other forums as well and quite an idea but just for confirmation, Please note i am currently working on EP in Singapore since last 1.5 years and i found a new job, Employer has applied for Employment Pass on 3rd Dec'15/Thursday and it was showing Status as "PENDING".. then the status changed to "Pending Input from Vetting Agencies, Expected outcome in 2 months from date of application", I know this certainly means case is going forward and MOM is not rejecting on basis of application form errors or paid up Capital/Issuing company problems, what i understand they will check my academic qualifications and certificates which is 100% correct so lastly i am only worried they have rejection reason only may be my Nationality, Otherwise since i have already an EP and working here in Singapore and Self Assessment Tool (SAT) available online shows i am likely to get an EP, what you think my chances are?
I know i have to wait no other option but you have dealt with so many cases, What are chances and common reasons of rejection after Pending input from Vetting agencies and considering i am already working in Singapore on EP, My qualifications, Jobs Offered and Offered Salary is meeting criteria of MOM that i am sure.

Since you are already working in Singapore, I guess the "vetting" is a formality that just takes time. They will check not only your educational credentials, but possibly also you past employers.
If your nationality (which you didn't mention) is a problem, they wouldn't have gone this far.
Good luck!

Dear Beppi,

Thanks again for your prompt reply, I am from Pakistan and my current employer in Singapore in one of the largest Ship Management company with over 30+ people on Employment Pass, I just checked with my current HR today and they said the EP has never been rejected by MOM for my current company, My new employer is declaring SGD 75K paid up capital and they also informed me they never experienced EP been rejected under their applications but still i am worried as 13 days have passed, And it is in Vetting stage,Since MOM has tightened their criteria for issuance and renewals of EP i am now only in doubt if they consider my Nationality and reject me on that, Lets See i keep my fingers crossed and hoping best for it, Otherwise, I have reviewed Everything and i dont see problems as i have 6 years Experience, Salary is SGD 6.5 K which is Offered and i have done Masters from the institution which is available in MOM List.

So they are just testing your patience.
Don't worry, you'll be fine in the end!

Now they just told me my Work Permit unable to issue because I was not in Singapore.  :huh:
I didn't know about that, really lost my confident on the HR. So I have to enter SG in order to issue the work permit.

Can I know estimate how many days I should be there to get the pass issue? Because I will be coming back to Malaysia and only join new company after Chinese New Year.

Dear Beppi,

I really appreciates your comments but actually what i want to ask that after all this when,
1-Salary Offered is as per requirements
2-Educational Qualifications are as per requirements and Degrees are valid with institution recognized by MOM
3-Work experience is as per requirements, Already working in Singapore for 1.5 years on EP
4-SAT giving OK to get E Pass
5-New Employer credentials are valid and having good history in past to receive EP approvals,
6-Present Employer have good Paid up capital and good history in getting EP approvals,

My new employer even send me the Employment Pass application they submitted to MOM and i see no errors in that, Even it was no nicely filled that it didnt even asked for any additional document to be attached with it,
After all above positive signs , what as per your experience can be a reason for rejection? and what are chances for rejection usually in these circumstances where application submitted have so much Tick marks,

Qalb: I see no potential reason for rejection. Stop worrying!

J3Vils: Issuance of your WP is immediate, if you have the required documents (e.g. Medical check). You should get it issued after CNY on the day you actually start work.

Dear Beppi,

Thanks for keeping me motivated and optimistic, But reading such posts on other forums worrying me and as time is ticking i am getting impatient,
I called MOM also a week back and as you said earlier they dont entertain individuals,
Lastly, Please confirm if there is any medical check up requirement for EP to MOM?
My New employer has their personal medical check up, But does MOM also needs medical to be done?

MoM decides if they require a medical check-up, and will tell you on the IPA letter.
Since your last one (for the first EP) was just 1.5 years ago, they might not want one.

Dear Beppi,

One thing is worrying me now, I just noticed my new employer has mentioned my current fixed salary as SGD 1200 in EP application form where as in reality my current salary is SGD 5000,
I just going through previous post of this forum and noticed that EP applications has been rejected due to this reason because very high salary has been offered to candidate,
Now as per my application, My current Salary is SGD 1200 and new salary offered is SGD 6500 which can create issue,
As i told earlier, It is in Pending inputs from Vetting Agencies stage so does that mean it have passed that Salary Barrier already? or it is still in doubt?
I read a lot about this and to me, There are 5 stages of EP applications once applied
1-Invalid (Means error in application form which can be corrected and replied)
2-Pending (Applicaiton form has been accepted and it is pending now)
3-Pending with Action required (Some documents needs to be submitted which were not present with original application)
4-Pending Input from Vetting Agencies, expect outcome in 2 months from date of application (Means MOM checking with other government on documentations)
5-Rejected

I know it may be irritating but just needs your expert opinion and how should i tackle this matter,
even though i have asked explanation from new employer that why salary is mentioned as SGD 1200 instead of SGD 5000 but should i just wait or shall i do any action?
For Sure, I am currently working in Singapore on EP and MOM can know my current salary easily through my FIN as my current employer mentioned it as SGD 5000 while hiring me,

You cannot get an EP with salary S$1200/month. If your employer wrote that in the application, it will surely be rejected. So you should ask them to correct the error immediately!
Whether S$5000 or 6500 (your message mention both) is o.k. Depends on your credentials, which I do not know.

Dear Beppi,

Yes but my new employer said
The salary of SGD1200 was indicated by your present employer and this is the records from the MOM side.
There is no way I can update the figures as I have no idea on your present salary. You may wish to check with your employer why they indicated this figure when they process your application.
I believe it should not have great impact on your new application as MOM would have your current salary from IRAS . And please allow MOM some time to process your application as it usually takes a month or two. Since we applied on 3 Dec 2015, I would expect MOM to reply latest by Feb 2016.
UNQUOTE

It shows my current EP got approved with this basic Salary but she has a point that IRAS will have my earning summary as i paid income tax also in April'2015
Lets See i cant do much in this case just to wait,
and since my EP has moved in to Pending Inputs from Vetting Agencies, i am quite sure it has crossed hurdles of Salary, Experience, Employer Credentials,
It is pending due to academic certification verification,
What you say about this

Dear Beppi,

My EP shows "APPROVED" today on EP Online website, it took 20 days in total to get approved,
Now i am waiting for further instructions,
Thanks for your assistance,

Congratulations!

Dear Beppi

Thanks,
In how many days i expect to receive my IPA letter?

It's probably already in the mail (to your employer).

Dear Beppi,

I received IPA letter,

it says Medical : Declaration,

What does this means? Do i have to conduct Medical as it is have statement just to declare that i dont have HIV or TB,

Needs your advise.

You probably need to do a medical checkup.
Ask your employer: They should be able to help you (and may pay for the check).

Dear Beppi,

Thanks, I have gone through on other forums and it just needs only Declaration by ME, No need of Medical Check up,
If Medical is needed they will clearly mentioned it,
I reviewed the IPA letter carefully and no such requirement

Many thanks for assistance

Beppi my friend .

Happy new year .
Sorry for the delay . work commitments .
And 31 St also came on thursday .
Hope you had a blast in germany .
regards

Hey, this is not the "Greet Beppi" thread (actually, PMs would be more suitable for that). But thanks anyway.
My biggest blast was the birth of our son on 30. Dec.

I will pm you for the wishes of your son born on 30 dec .
Congrats
All the best
Regards

Dear Beppi,

Congrats on the baby!

Anw, a few months ago I have posted my situation as such:

lala2312 wrote:

Hi there Beppi, I hope you can advise me on this matter.

So my EP got rejected, employer said MOM (being typical) isnt giving a clear reason or something that we can work on for the appeal. They only told us that its I have an "adverse record", which I think it is the tax issue:

I ended my last job on 3 June, which they supposed to withhold my last month salary and pay the tax, but they didnt and let me take care of it, which I was not aware of. And because I left the country before the last day (took some leftover leave days), I didnt receive any mails from IRAS until im back to singapore in July to apply for a job and got one within 2 weeks, applied for my EP on 29 July.

Only then I received a call from my ex employer said that I have to pay my tax in full. So I paid my tax on July 30, which is 32 days late.

Which made it perfectly understandable if they didnt approve me the first time (as in the application was submitted when my tax is not cleared yet)

Job - Strategy Associate, Asia Region
Company - Big tech company with head quarter in Singapore, >5 years
Salary - Base 4800
My degree - Grad from SMU, 3 years of experience,
Work Experience - Singapore government company (1 years) and then consulting (1.5 years)

I have appealed once, explaining the situation. Failed. We sent a second appeal with IRAS letter and the IRAS officer name, who said that if the issue is tax, then IRAS will talk to MOM.

But honestly, I am thinking the chance is slim.

Please advise.

And you told me that there might be sth going on with my record, which would pop up in the future with the next employee. So I have decided to contact one of the other companies I applied for to take me in again.

My EP just got approved today - without any objection - its all smooth sailing - so i havent got a chance to sit down with the MOM officer to understand why my previous application was rejected with "adverse records" reason.

I am not sure what to make up of this situation rather than guessing that there must be sth wrong in the process of the previous application - is there any such cases happened before and if yes, is there anything i can do to avoid such incidents in the future?

- 'On the record, I havent managed to find on the internet any "adverse records" case that was cleared just after 3 months without any communication like this' -

Thank you and so sorry for such a long post