Key things a US Expat should know about living in Thailand

Hello everyone. Seriously considering moving to Thailand in about 5 years or so.  For now just really gathering information.  I've been to Thailand a couple of times but that was just as a tourist.  Been to Bangkok, Phi Phi, Phuket, Samui, Chiangmai, and Koh Lipe. Exploring the possibilities of living either in a suburb of Bangkok or maybe somewhere like Phuket.  I plan on doing a long term visit to see what it is like living there in about 3 years. Things at the top of my mind are cost of living and healthcare.  What are some key things I should know about living in Thailand as an US Expat?

Thanks!

@AJ2024

Hello and welcome on board !

Thank you for your introduction !

Please note that I have created a new thread from your post on the Thailand forum so that members can guide you.

Feel free to read the articles of the Living in Thailand guide for expatsfor first-hand infos.

All the best

Bhavna

@AJ2024,

It's good to see that you're starting to make plans...unlike some other recent posters, who it appears have very little understand or experience about Thailand. It's good to plan ahead, but also difficult being able to predict what this side of the  world is going to be like in 3 - 5 years. Just a couple of thoughts...

Long term stays is significantly easier once you pass the age of 50. Thailand, and other countries in the region continue to create, or massage their Long-term tourist visa options to suck up  the long-term market ($$$). Have you considered other options other than Thailand that also offer long-term Visas ???

Cost of living is about half of what you'll experience in the States. Certainly this will change based on where you decide to live (City, Rural, Tourist, etc...), and how much of a Western or 1st world lifestyle you expect.

Medical services and insurance is cheap compared to what you might be used to in the States. If you are in good health, then it should be easy to purchase a low cost plan. but also look at options if you have to return back to the State for any Major complication or surgery.

One of the biggest hurdles for the over 50 years retiree visa IMO is the Bank account, deposit (800,000 baht), or proof of steady pension (67,000 baht) requirements. It you are able to open a Thai bank account early, or if you go the monthly pension route...setup a proof of a pension; this  will make things quite a bit easier once you pull the trigger.

I think that Thailand will continues to be a popular tourist - long term destination. In 3 - 5 years the smaller places could become the next "Phuket - Pattaya" places with tourist over crowding. Investing in an Early apartment/condo might be something to think about before the next new tourist invasion.

Do you plan on traveling around this part of the world ??? Picking a place that has an airport with direct international flight can save you long layovers. Direct flight are better than having multiple or long layovers if you plan on further travel.

Just my 2 baht worth of thoughts (on a rainy morning in TH)...Dave

@WiredTight

Thanks for the great insights Dave! And yes, other locations on my list are Spain, Portugal, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, and Panama. Also saw 1 or two potential spots in the Carribean. I will have a pension and significant savings by the time I do this move. But want to cut my cost of living down so it all lasts longer and I want somewhere with great weather, haha. Thailand just happens to be at the top of my list so far based on all my research and the fact I've been there before and loved it.

@WiredTight
Thanks for the great insights Dave! And yes, other locations on my list are Spain, Portugal, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, and Panama. Also saw 1 or two potential spots in the Carribean. I will have a pension and significant savings by the time I do this move. But want to cut my cost of living down so it all lasts longer and I want somewhere with great weather, haha. Thailand just happens to be at the top of my list so far based on all my research and the fact I've been there before and loved it.

-@AJ2024

When you're saying moving to one of the countries in your list,what do actually mean? If you mean staying long term as a retiree, then staying in Spain or Portugal which are two EU-countries will be very difficult.

Let me 1st say...that I've never been to Spain or Portugal, but based on internet pictures and articles...

Would someone who is looking for a European or 1st world - Western Experience... would that person appreciate a "Thailand or 3rd-2nd world" cultural experience ???

For instance I know people who would never want to experience the sights and sounds of Thailand. But, a clean, cultural 1st world, or Western experience would automatically be top on their list instead.

For the record... I like a bit of Chaos, or geckos on the walls to add a bit of Spice to me life.

@WiredTight

Yo'!  Greetings from the Bay Area.

Starting this year we plan on spending 50% of our time in Thailand, 50% "somewhere else" -- I'm not retired (I don't think I ever will be; too boring), so my views are skewed by the fact that I've been working remotely since 2009.  For the somewhere else I'm deciding between Lisbon, Berlin, Barcelona, and Algarve (Portugal), in that order.  The nicer cities have the higher cost of living, but also the biggest business opportunities, hence my predilection.  When it comes to Portugal you have nice low cost areas, but the weather is much more variable than in the other places that you mentioned.  The same is true for Spain.  I lived in Spain for extended periods (Madrid, Barcelona) and traveled quite a bit within the country.  Big swings in weather and cost of living, like in Portugal, depending on where you are.

When it comes to visas, Portugal seems easier than Spain, with lower entry requirements.

Also agree with Leeds Forever suggestions:  be crystal clear about what you want, have that drive your selection process.  Good luck and cheers!

@Leeds forever!

Yes retiring with a pension and all that. What's the difficult aspect of EU nations for retirees?

@WiredTight

Yes I can appreciate both aspects. I myself was born in a "third world" country before emigrating to the US. My birthplace is way more "third world" than Thailand. Been to Thailand a few times though and loved it. So between where I was born and serving in the US military, I can survive off very little comforts and be fine.

But I may opt for being semi-nomadic though. Spend a year or two in a place then move. Still exploring options for what works best between what's possible and what my ideal is.

Let me 1st say...that I've never been to Spain or Portugal, but based on internet pictures and articles...
Would someone who is looking for a European or 1st world - Western Experience... would that person appreciate a "Thailand or 3rd-2nd world" cultural experience ???
For instance I know people who would never want to experience the sights and sounds of Thailand. But, a clean, cultural 1st world, or Western experience would automatically be top on their list instead.
For the record... I like a bit of Chaos, or geckos on the walls to add a bit of Spice to me life.

Without trying to be flippant...  a 3rd-world experience can be had almost anywhere, if that's where someone focuses their attention.  It wasn't that long ago that rubbish piled 1.5 meters high in Paris because of the strikes, or just this afternoon in San Francisco I had to dodge derelicts, druggies, shanty towns, discarded needles, and human waste on a short walk to downtown and back.  Downtown itself is mostly OKi, my neighborhood is clean and livable, but the in-between...  craptastic.  I have 3rd world experiences in the most expensive city in the US, and it's hard to escape them.

As far as Thailand:  remember that your income and savings may be well above the median Thai income/savings.  That opens the door for having a first world lifestyle in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket, and so on.  Based on my experience, there's nothing I needed for maintaining our lifestyle in Pattaya that I wasn't able to find at the local Big Box store (e.g. Home Pro, Office Mate, Big C, etc.) or on-line (e.g. Apple, Lazada, Central).  In terms of night life, restaurants, movies -- as good as anywhere else in the world (try the VIP section at a Thai movie theater one day, including the buffet before, the giant bed-like seats, the pillows and snacks they bring to you, the white gloved usher that comes to check if you need more snacks or a drink halfway through the movie, etc.).  Bangkok has every luxury store you can think of.  Amazon US delivers almost anything you want to anywhere in Thailand.  Amazon pre-calculates the customs duties for you with eerie accuracy; that tells me (and friends confirmed anectdotally) that there are plenty of Amazon orders going to Thailand.

Now about culture:  there are several bubbles in every Thai city if you bother to look.  Bangkok has a Japantown-like neighborhood where, if you take a photo outside and show it to someone, they'd swear you're in Tokyo or Osaka, down to the Lawson convenience stores.  There are western bars, restaurants, stores, etc. if you know where to look.  Pattaya has at least one good European experience restaurant where the expats hang out when in the mood of foie gras, French cuisine, or a good wine list (I found more than one, but that's besides the point).  Great American-style steak houses in Bangkok.  Antito for very high quality

cuisine, Italian noveau. There are very, very few things you can't find (e.g. Mexican food sucks in Thailand, but then it also sucks in most of Europe except Paris).  Ballet, theater, and symphony are top-notch, often sponsored by the US, Russian, French, German, Dutch, Chinese, and other embassies.  It's easy to go in/out of those bubbles to Thai experiences.

@pr3d4t0r

Oh man how did I miss that there was a Lawson's in Thailand?! Speaking of Tokyo and Osaka, some days I miss Japan. I was stationed there for about 3 years. Family Mart and Lawson's set a new standard for me in convenience stores. Similar to how 7-Elevens in Taiwan blow the ones here in the states out of the water.

But I love immersing in myself in different cultures. My only requirement is that I am not in imminent danger living in a place. As long as no civil wars etc are going on and I have access to clean water, food, and basic internet service, I'm good. My only non-negotiable after I retire is probably weather. I was born in the tropics and though I spent most of my formative years in New England, I have no desire to voluntarily endure winter climates after retirement hahaha.

@pr3d4t0rOh man how did I miss that there was a Lawson's in Thailand?! Speaking of Tokyo and Osaka, some days I miss Japan. I was stationed there for about 3 years. Family Mart and Lawson's set a new standard for me in convenience stores. Similar to how 7-Elevens in Taiwan blow the ones here in the states out of the water. But I love immersing in myself in different cultures. My only requirement is that I am not in imminent danger living in a place. As long as no civil wars etc are going on and I have access to clean water, food, and basic internet service, I'm good. My only non-negotiable after I retire is probably weather. I was born in the tropics and though I spent most of my formative years in New England, I have no desire to voluntarily endure winter climates after retirement hahaha.         -@AJ2024

FYI, Family Mart has left Thailand and every store has been bought up by Tops Daily and signs are changing every day around the country. Lawson in Thailand goes under the name Lawson 108.

@pr3d4t0rOh man how did I miss that there was a Lawson's in Thailand?! Speaking of Tokyo and Osaka, some days I miss Japan. I was stationed there for about 3 years. Family Mart and Lawson's set a new standard for me in convenience stores. Similar to how 7-Elevens in Taiwan blow the ones here in the states out of the water. But I love immersing in myself in different cultures. My only requirement is that I am not in imminent danger living in a place. As long as no civil wars etc are going on and I have access to clean water, food, and basic internet service, I'm good. My only non-negotiable after I retire is probably weather. I was born in the tropics and though I spent most of my formative years in New England, I have no desire to voluntarily endure winter climates after retirement hahaha.         -@AJ2024
FYI, Family Mart has left Thailand and every store has been bought up by Tops Daily and signs are changing every day around the country. Lawson in Thailand goes under the name Lawson 108.

Hah!  Word -- there's a Tops across the street from the entrance to my building.  I was giving directions to a Bolt or delivery, opened Google Maps, and the photo still showed the Family Mart colors and signage.  Have an awesome weekend, Leeds!

@pr3d4t0rOh man how did I miss that there was a Lawson's in Thailand?! Speaking of Tokyo and Osaka, some days I miss Japan. I was stationed there for about 3 years. Family Mart and Lawson's set a new standard for me in convenience stores. Similar to how 7-Elevens in Taiwan blow the ones here in the states out of the water. But I love immersing in myself in different cultures. My only requirement is that I am not in imminent danger living in a place. As long as no civil wars etc are going on and I have access to clean water, food, and basic internet service, I'm good. My only non-negotiable after I retire is probably weather. I was born in the tropics and though I spent most of my formative years in New England, I have no desire to voluntarily endure winter climates after retirement hahaha.         -@AJ2024FYI, Family Mart has left Thailand and every store has been bought up by Tops Daily and signs are changing every day around the country. Lawson in Thailand goes under the name Lawson 108. Hah!  Word -- there's a Tops across the street from the entrance to my building.  I was giving directions to a Bolt or delivery, opened Google Maps, and the photo still showed the Family Mart colors and signage.  Have an awesome weekend, Leeds!        -@pr3d4t0r

What has Google Maps got to do with reality? I guess you dont know that Google Maps photos aren't updated automatically and not even on a regular basis. Some photos are submitted by viewers and not taken by Google, and a lot of photos are very old. You can still see photos of Tesco Lotus Express stores but they don't exist anymore. They are now called Lotus's Go Fresh.

Oh man how did I miss that there was a Lawson's in Thailand?! Speaking of Tokyo and Osaka, some days I miss Japan. I was stationed there for about 3 years. Family Mart and Lawson's set a new standard for me in convenience stores. Similar to how 7-Elevens in Taiwan blow the ones here in the states out of the water.

But I love immersing in myself in different cultures. My only requirement is that I am not in imminent danger living in a place. As long as no civil wars etc are going on and I have access to clean water, food, and basic internet service, I'm good. My only non-negotiable after I retire is probably weather. I was born in the tropics and though I spent most of my formative years in New England, I have no desire to voluntarily endure winter climates after retirement hahaha.

There are at least three cool convenience stores I found in Thailand.  I also noticed they vary a bit by neighborhood.  In my town (I live in a place called Na Kluea, or unofficially North Pattaya) where you can find:

• Tops -- good selection across the board, at least one of each; the refrigerators carried washed/ready to eat lettuce/salad, the staff are pretty nice
  • 7-Eleven -- bigger stores, bigger selection, a bit crammed compared to Tops (think Walmart vs Target but in convenience store footprint), the staff are more aloof, you can find underwear, pay your electric bill, only place I found that had Doritos last July (by accident)
  • Lotus Express -- Tesco-in-Thailand; similar to the other two, but they also had fresh meat and better-than-expected fresh vegetables variety.  Smaller selection than the other two except for the meat, veggies, and ice cream.
  • For actual pantry shopping head to Lotus, Makro, Big C, or if you want western goods, Foodland.
  • Makro is like Costco without the general merchandise -- it's all about food and food preparation; the membership is free, or very cheap, 100% worth it if you plan on cooking at home

As for culture and danger:  unless you're hanging out in sketchy areas Thailand is pretty safe.  Re: dangers, if you want to live near the beach I'd advise to stick to the Gulf of Siam over the Indian Ocean because tsunamis are a thing (recommended viewing:  The Impossible, with Naomi Watts, Ewan McGregor, Tom Holland), if you are in a house be sure to check the flood areas around it before committing to long-term rentals or buying.  If you're street smart you should be fine on day-to-day activities.  Petty theft is known to happen, some pickpockets here and there, but harder crime is not very common.  Wits and situational awareness lead to peace of mind.  Have an awesome weekend.

@Leeds forever!

Uh...   there's a Tesco Lotus Express down the street from us.  Or they haven't changed the signage.  Anyway, not important.

As for Google Maps -- I thought it was funny.  I'm very aware that they update the street view stuff on varying schedules.  So what?

Just so that you don't get so fukken condescending all the time about correcting me and others, beware that I've worked in developing cutting edge high technology my entire professional life, and my employers and clients include Google, Yahoo!, Oracle, IBM, Ascend, Mulesoft, hedge funds, crypto exchanges, etc. from enterprise systems to modern AI and genetic computing systems.  I mentioned the Family Mart bit because we're chatting about what to expect, not because I believe Google Maps to be 100% accurate all the time.  I know better.  And some of the folks who developed Google Maps for iOS and Android used to work for me.

Cheers!

Oh man how did I miss that there was a Lawson's in Thailand?! Speaking of Tokyo and Osaka, some days I miss Japan. I was stationed there for about 3 years. Family Mart and Lawson's set a new standard for me in convenience stores. Similar to how 7-Elevens in Taiwan blow the ones here in the states out of the water. But I love immersing in myself in different cultures. My only requirement is that I am not in imminent danger living in a place. As long as no civil wars etc are going on and I have access to clean water, food, and basic internet service, I'm good. My only non-negotiable after I retire is probably weather. I was born in the tropics and though I spent most of my formative years in New England, I have no desire to voluntarily endure winter climates after retirement hahaha.

There are at least three cool convenience stores I found in Thailand.  I also noticed they vary a bit by neighborhood.  In my town (I live in a place called Na Kluea, or unofficially North Pattaya) where you can find:
Tops -- good selection across the board, at least one of each; the refrigerators carried washed/ready to eat lettuce/salad, the staff are pretty nice
7-Eleven -- bigger stores, bigger selection, a bit crammed compared to Tops (think Walmart vs Target but in convenience store footprint), the staff are more aloof, you can find underwear, pay your electric bill, only place I found that had Doritos last July (by accident)
Lotus Express -- Tesco-in-Thailand; similar to the other two, but they also had fresh meat and better-than-expected fresh vegetables variety.  Smaller selection than the other two except for the meat, veggies, and ice cream.
For actual pantry shopping head to Lotus, Makro, Big C, or if you want western goods, Foodland.
Makro is like Costco without the general merchandise -- it's all about food and food preparation; the membership is free, or very cheap, 100% worth it if you plan on cooking at home

As for culture and danger:  unless you're hanging out in sketchy areas Thailand is pretty safe.  Re: dangers, if you want to live near the beach I'd advise to stick to the Gulf of Siam over the Indian Ocean because tsunamis are a thing (recommended viewing:  The Impossible, with Naomi Watts, Ewan McGregor, Tom Holland), if you are in a house be sure to check the flood areas around it before committing to long-term rentals or buying.  If you're street smart you should be fine on day-to-day activities.  Petty theft is known to happen, some pickpockets here and there, but harder crime is not very common.  Wits and situational awareness lead to peace of mind.  Have an awesome weekend.

-@pr3d4t0r

Again, the name is Lotus's or Lotus's Go Fresh (the small stores) nothing else. Never compare Lotus's Go Fresh with 7/11. 7/11 is just a convenience store while Lotus's Go Fresh is a proper but small sized supermarket.

@AJ2024

I spent a total of 7 years "haze gray and underway" home ported out of Yokosuka JA. Many a night I stopped at 7-11 / Lawson on the way home. I joined the USN to see the world, I caught the bug, and I'm still doing it.

I brought up the 1st world / 3rd / 2nd world line of thought yesterday because of what I experience yesterday at lunch.

I was having lunch, when a British couple (new sunburn, and english accent) who was having lunch one table away from where I was sitting. The conversation went something like this...

(Husband): wife, how do you like Chiang-mai ???

(Wife): It's too hot, no one speaks english, dirty - smells, and the food is too spicey.

(Husband): Hmmm...well maybe when we visit Bangkok / Phuket things will be better.

(Wife): Maybe we should think about Spain or Portugal.

Anyway... One thing I always tell people who are thinking about thinking about moving to anywhere in Asia...or any where...is to visit for at least 30 days before they decide to sell the house...farm, car, Wife...and then decide to pull the trigger.

Do a bit of a Recon, and best of luck.