UK, EU, Italy travel with permesso receipt after expired visa

Hello everyone,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but always in slightly different iterations so I am posting again about my own specific circumstances. I moved from the UK (post-Brexit) to Italy for a six-month job, for which the job sponsored my visa (also six months) and I had the appointment in England and a Nulla Osta etc etc. Upon arriving in Italy, I completed all the steps for the permesso di soggiorno application and was given my receipt. Six months later my job has offered me an extension and both the visa and permesso are soon to expire. I know it is certain that I need to renew the permesso, but the problem is that I have only the paper receipt and have not received any communication about the official document. When I check it online it says document not found. In order to freely travel between the UK, Italy, and other European countries, my office has suggested that I might need to go to England to get a new visa entirely and they will therefore make a new contract and Nulla Osta etc. I know there are lots of questions about travelling with only a permesso receipt but honestly it's so confusing - someone else told me that because I don't have any online documentation, and the permesso and visa are soon to expire, I must get a new visa to re-enter Italy and travel freely. Many of my colleagues who deal with this problem say that because I don't yet have the permesso di soggiorno officially (not had any more appointments or the finger prints taken, just the receipt) that it is a grey area that can be problematic. Would you just go back to England start the whole visa process again if you were me? Please give advice as it is now quite urgent!