Just retired and have moved to Bangkok in Asok

@Julien

Hi I am Charles from the USA,  I just retired I was living in Northglenn Colorado USA,  for over 20 year and have moved to Bangkok in Asok. Looking where to meet people,  I am divorced 7 years. I am renting a condo for the next year. Would like to meet,  go out to dinner,  travel around and enjoy life.

@Walnutcharles

Hello Charles, I'm afraid I can't help you with any company in Bangkok yet as I won't be retiring there for another 18 months. I know I too would be looking for the same thing when I do. May I ask how old you are? Frankly, I'd like to hear more about your experience there dealing with everything from immigration issues, banking, renting, language (communicating), and anything else if you're willing. I can't tell you how I'd appreciate your input since you already have dealt with all these things. And oh yes, cell phones, internet, etc.

Take care,

Cary

@cgiles49. I am 66 years old.

I am using siam legal for my visa stuff and they help me get a bank account too.  From some other people getting a bank account setup here is a bit harder than back home.  With the siam legal I was able to get it done in about 1 hour.   I have talk to others the after a 1/2 a day the bank told them  no they will not be able to get a account with them and try a different bank.

In order to get a retirement visa it is my understanding that you have to have a Thailand bank account first with the 800,000 in it.

Sure we can talk more about here and what I have done and plan to do. I do understand what you are talking about back home I was the same way and in the same place. Renting I use a service for it.  fazwaz they took me to the condos for me to look at. You should go to the website and look at what is available as for me thier is a lot.  I preferred something around asok and sumviet around terminal 21 it's  mall here. Thier are a lot of expats in the area.  After living here for a year I will decide where else to live.  But to start out thier are to mass transit systems here and grab ( it's like a taxi but at a set price and the drivers are checked out, so you don't get ripped off. ). High risk is hopping on the back of a motorcycle it's cheap but remember no one has any insurance for you if they get in a reck.

@cgiles49. I am 66 years old.
I am using siam legal for my visa stuff and they help me get a bank account too.  From some other people getting a bank account setup here is a bit harder than back home.  With the siam legal I was able to get it done in about 1 hour.   I have talk to others the after a 1/2 a day the bank told them  no they will not be able to get a account with them and try a different bank.
In order to get a retirement visa it is my understanding that you have to have a Thailand bank account first with the 800,000 in it.
Sure we can talk more about here and what I have done and plan to do. I do understand what you are talking about back home I was the same way and in the same place.

-@Walnutcharles

I have had bank accounts in 3 provinces and I have never needed any help from a so called lawyer in Thailand. You just need to go online and check Thai banks saving accounts requirements for foreigners. Bangkok Bank is the most foreigner friendly bank in Thailand,maybe the only one.

800k in a Thai bank is not the only way to apply for a long stay visa or annual extensions based on retirement. 65k/month is another option together with the combination method which is a combo of pension income and money in the bank.

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have created this new thread on the Bangkok forum from your posts so that you may better communicate.

Welcome @Charles ^^

All the very best

Bhavna

@cgiles49 hi, if Cary wants to talk with me he can give me his email address and I can email him directly.

I am not into arguing with others.

I just said how and a bit of why i did things the way I did.  I was in Thailand over 40 years ago and somethings have changed and others have not.

@Walnutcharles

Hello, Northglenn isn't too far from me I am in Fort Collins

but will be returning to Thai at the end of this month to

Phuket

STeve

@scbrock

I am Bangkok setting in a Irish pub at the end of soi cowboy.

This month I hear that there are a lot of Chinese thier and Russians.

@Walnutcharles

My Thai friend tells me that they are charging the Chinese

and Russians next to nothing for a year visa

Hello everyone,

@Walnutcharles and @ scbrock, please note that the few last posts have been added to this thread of the Bangkok forum for better interaction.

All the best

Bhavna