Again from me, cost of living (Alanya area)

Me (61) and my wife (52) are Dutch and live in Mahmutlar with an owned apartment (quite nice).

Over the last 6 months changes in prices quite a bit and yes in EUR (or USD) expenses have increased.

Without being bothered with rent, our main expenses are:

-Restaurants (very much increased (also in EUR) over the last few months), we try to go 4x pw, normal local restaurant (including starter and fresh orange juice, main dish and tea) is EUR 25/30, for upside you can count EUR 50. Very acceptable to me, BUT this expense evolved (and our main expense (for 2 of us) I budget EUR 800 pm). Than again some savings on markets and super-markets

-Smoking (3 packages per day is EUR 200 pm is very fine)

-Drinking, a lot of communication on higher prices, fine, but bottom line slightly higher than Hungary (perhaps EUR 450 pm) (I drink much)

-Health Insurance is expensive, but complete, EUR 210 pm for both of us

-Normal shopping I would say EUR 300 pm (toilet paper, cola, yoghurt, pasta, tea, coffee, ...)

-Meat with the butcher EUR 50 pm (very very good)

-Phone/internet/audible/netflix/,, (max in total EUR 50 pm) , I am quite happy

FOR a COUPLE , One without alcohol and smoking still you have to count for EUR 2200 pm minimum, if you also drop the restaurants EUR 1800 pm (please note savings in Markets/Supermarkets)

Turkey, but especially Alanya has become more expensive  (relatively). I am fine, but no city for poor retirees as in the past.

If you are a couple and enjoying life (including smoking, drinking, restaurant, but without rent) I think you have to count for EUR 3.000 pm

@cdw057 Even if life is good, bureaucracy can be annoying, please be prepared to ask for help

@cdw057 😳😯🤦‍♀️ With this budget you can live in South of France. 🤷‍♀️

@cdw057. I agree with you, as a poor French retired woman! Everything more expensive, Istanbul area ... eager to see a real change , if not will be forced to find a cheaper country !

@cdw057

True, costs have risen quite a bit but as you had mentioned in a prior post, "Alanya is mentioned to be Dubai of Turkey (ie expensive)", so there are more reasonable places in Turkiye.  My wife and I like colder climates (I live in Minneapolis) so we our destination of choice is Eskisehir, which offers good, hardy winters and temperate low humidity summers.  If you compare cost of living of Alanya to Eskisehir on the website www.livingcost.org/cost, a standard of living for EUR 3,000 in Alanya is equivalent to EUR 1,760 in Eskisehir.  My guess is that inflation is more accentuated in Alanya.  Our choice for Eskisehir additionally is because it offers a calm pace of life and is a very progressive, clean city with a high quality of life and the lower cost of living is an added bonus. 

Sounds like a very good choice, loads of restaurants a big city (too big for me). Personally I do not have a lot of contacts and I do not need them, but I would imagine using other languages would be a challenge from time to time. In Alanya (Mahmutlar), Russian (for my wife) but also English and German are widely spoken, in day-to-day it makes life easier.

In the center of Eskisehir it seems that all the amenties are there (no sea though and again I would like to stress language (for me it would be difficult)

If you can deal with the language topic and no beach close, I think a GOOD choice.

There is nothing like being on the coast of the Mediterranean, it is a breath of fresh air.  In early June of 2022, we stayed in Alanya for 3 nights (A suite at Anjeliq Downtown Hotel for $58/night, very reasonable).   I came away very impressed, the Cleopatra beach, the castle and the views from the castle, and the vibe of the town.  I like that you are in close proximity to Antalya and Mersin.   I did not know of your neighborhood, Mahmutlar, so I missed that.  So, if it weren't for the hot summers, I would consider living there.   If Eskisehir were on the coast, it would be utopia.  So you made a very good choice as well.  My wife and I are retired (I'm 60 & she's 55) so considering that vacationing costs are not so high in Turkiye, we could vacation in Alanya at our leisure any time we choose.

My last post was intended to provide a perspective that differentiates from the cost of living in Alanya.  And the difference in costs are vast between Eskisehir and Alanya as the numbers point out.  I pointed out the other aspects of the town to illustrate that residing in Eskisehir is not a sacrifice and that there are many positives.  I can understand your concern for the language barrier in Eskisehir but the city is a university town anchored by 3 large universities so I'm hoping the youthful population would be better versed in English particularly for my wife's sake.  I can speak conversational Turkish but with limited vocabulary.